PDA

View Full Version : Communication through iPad

Wildflower
20th January 2012, 17:11
My mum, who has MND, is looking for an app for text to speech ( hopefully free but will pay if really good). Any suggestions? We need one that can be used off line after loading. She's used to the lightwriter voice so as long as she can have British female ( and not Bush or Obama as we've seen ) she'll be happy.

Rachelg
21st January 2012, 12:56
Hi

Proloquo2go is excellent - downloadable from itunes - about 130 I think. I think there are many free text to speech software packages around but my husband used this one via recommendation. Do you have a speech therapist? they may be able to recommend something that is free or find a way to fund the purchase of Proloquo2go for you. The voices are excellent - not too synthesised.

Wildflower
22nd January 2012, 11:01
Thank you. Good idea to ask the ST. I have also done a bit of searchIng and found one called Verbally which was developed by the nephew of a lady withMND. It's a free app for the basis then for full.

carpii
14th April 2012, 11:20
I'd recommend one called "SpeakIt!"

My mam had MND, and we tried Proloquo2go but we found it very difficult to set up and even more difficult for her to use.
SpeakIt is very simple, its a keyboard she can type into, which then speaks. It also has a feature to store phrases for easy recall later

The final benefit for my mam is that for an extra couple of pounds you can download a very high quality British female voice, which my mam much preferred over a generic Americanised voice.

bakeit Forum