PDA

View Full Version : Hoists

petal
5th February 2012, 21:02
Hi ,my husbands legs have pretty much stopped working so i am going to have to use a hoist for all his
transfer s our o t seems to think that we have to take up our carpet and put down laminate flooring, is she right or are there any hoists that work o k on carpet, it may seem a petty thing to worry about but the carpet is fairly new and we like it HELP

angnmick
5th February 2012, 21:16
Hi Petal
We have a hoist over our bed that are just two poles to the ceiling either side of the bed and a track between the two poles. It isn't permanently fixed so it can be taken down and we do all our transfers from there upstairs, via shower chairs,etc. Down stairs we use one that is portable and have carpet down and it moves around fine, but i know they can fit permanent tracks where necessary so ask for other options. Hope that helps xx Ang

petal
6th February 2012, 13:01
Hi Ang, thanks for the advice will look into the portable hoist .

Rachelg
6th February 2012, 13:11
Hi Petal
We dont use portable hoist because of carpets, steps and because I do Marks care mainly on my own and our OT didnt know if I would be physically strong enough to push a portable one across the carpets on my own. Plus - I like our thick carpets. We have ceiling tracking fitted. We have it across our living room ceiling and across the bedroom ceiling - Mark goes in a wheelchair for the inbetween bits from room to room. Yes the tracking and hoist is there all the time but its not so bad - its very neatly fitted and the hoist system raises up to the ceiling when not in use. When the hoist systems are one day no longer needed they can be taken down with very little evidence of them ever being there barr filling in a few little holes.

petal
6th February 2012, 21:23
HI Rachelg, i must admit our ot has been pushing towards a ceiling hoist,but we have fought against it,but you make it sound ok,of course whatever makes our lives easy is very important,as i also care for my husband on my own .

Rachelg
6th February 2012, 21:36
Dont know if its possible for you but we went and looked at our hospice where they have both portables and ceiling tracking - this was very useful for us.

angnmick
6th February 2012, 22:00
Our OT and PT are brill they knew we didn't want anything too intrusive so they looked around for us, we couldn't have a track in the ceiling upstairs because our ceilings are at different levels to each other. I do it all on my own too (he won't have carers) and our routine isn't too bad prior to the hoist I was using a slide board and slide sheets which is hard work when they are 6ft 2 and your only 5ft 2. Hope you get sorted Petal without too much upheaval. Let us know how you get on xx Ang

petal
9th February 2012, 22:20
Hi Angmick & Rachelg ,just want to thank you both for hoist info we are having a gantry hoist fitted subject to survey ,it took me a long time to join ,the forum because i don nt really use computers ,but it is amazing the tips and help from other members thank you x

bakeit Forum