PDA

View Full Version : any advice on crying

michelle
15th February 2012, 21:50
hi my names michelle and my mum has pseudobulbar palsy which started back in june 2010 but has only recently been diagnosed. she has limited speech but her loss of mobility is only in her arm at the moment so she can live by herself at the moment, The problem i find hard to deal with is the crying, its daily and heartbreaking though she tells us shes not sad when she crys. has anyone any advice on how to deal with this, my instinct is to hold her but my brother berates me telling me im making her worse. I just want to make her feel safe but am i wrong should i be harder.

angnmick
15th February 2012, 21:55
Hi Michelle

It could be Emotional Lability and her doctor can prescribe for this if it gets too much for her. If you do a search at the top of the page,you will find it is quite common and what drugs have been prescribed to help xx Ang

pete
15th February 2012, 22:00
Hello michelle,

Sorry to hear about your mum, i too have the same condition and it is a symptom of the disease , not always but as everyone is different in how it affects you i too have found myself crying without reason ,I dont know why your moms is ,and dont be hard on yourself , just try to be normal if thats at all possible i know thats asking a lot but ,i dont think being harder is the answer ,just be as you where ,i think its called lability , and hope you find it in you to come to terms with it ,wishing you luck and best wishes.

Regards
pete

michelle
15th February 2012, 22:10
thamks guys for the posts, my mums been on fluoxentine since october and ive asked her gp to increase it to see if it will help but he seems to think the crying is a release???? She does have emotional liability im sure as she can also laugh for no reason proper belly laughs which i must say soooo much better than the crying

michelle

john
16th February 2012, 01:18
Hi michelle,
My wife suffers as does your mum from uncontrollable laughing and crying. She takes citalopram daily but it doesn't stop it completely. We have a head genie bought for Irene by one of her carers . If you google it you will find you can buy one for a fiver or less. It is very simple and looks like an egg whisk sort of. When your mum is upset just rub it around your mums head and the stress will soon go. It is reminiscent of your mum washing your hair as a child and very therapeutic. Sounds crazy I know and I wouldn't believe it would work but it does.

Good luck.

John

michelle
16th February 2012, 10:01
Thanks John I'll try that if it dosent work for my mum I'll get my hubby to use it on me haha thanks

miranda
16th February 2012, 15:48
As someone else who has emotional lability, it is so difficult to explain that when I cry it is unlikely to be because I am sad or upset. I am just as likely to cry when something happy happens or even daft things like watching someone winning on a TV quiz show! As for the laughing - yesterday I was looking for a humorous birthday card and couldn't control myself from laughing out loud - so much so that I was embarrassed enough to leave the shop without buying one. One of my sons asked how I prefer to deal with both the crying and the laughing - my answer 'don't you be upset or worry about it, try to ignore it and give me time to regain control'.

michelle
17th February 2012, 00:10
Thankyou Miranda for your reply that helps a lot. X

Best wishes
Michelle

Bels
17th February 2012, 09:29
Hi Michelle,

My Mum suffers, although it has improved, with emotional liability. It is really tough to see and not know what to do. I am pretty useless at getting upset too when other people are crying which doesn't help! We just had an agreement with Mum that she would tell us if there was something genuinely upsetting her or if there was nothing. I have never seen someone get so upset cleaning their teeth and be told there was abosultely nothing wrong. We check Mum is ok but actually end up saying silly jokes and being overly normal once we know Mum is ok and this seems to shorten it a bit. It was just important for us to know when there was actually something wrong. As others have mentioned the flip side was everyone joining in Mum's uncontrollable laughter - definitley preferred that! Mum has never taken any medication for it and it has definitely decreased with time.

Best wishes

Belsx

luce
17th February 2012, 22:09
Hi
My mum has found that her emotional lability has decreased in the last few months. I think as suggested, try to find out from your mum if she is upset or if it is emotional lability. perhaps ask your mum how she would like you to deal with it, what is the best way for her.

I know with the laughing, sometimes we joined in too but othertimes we tried to ignore mum as it made it all worse (as we would just all spark each other off- even in the middle of a west end show).

if you don't hold your mum i dont think it is being hard- just find out what she would like you to do
luce

michelle
18th February 2012, 00:57
I really appreciate the replays guys they are all helpfull thanks John for the head genie advice my brother had one (who knew) and it worked well but I'm sure Thursday's will be off limits as its shampoo and set day
Major thanks
Michelle

Terry
16th May 2012, 22:04
Hi all;
I have had emotional problem for over two and a half years now, since before I was diagnosed with Mnd. I cry or wail over silly things and also I have uncontrollable laughter at times. I had not taken drugs for it as it only happens publically on average once a month. I think has lessened as the time has progressed.
I carry a information sheet with me saying about my emotional problems because I found that when I had a brake down I was unable to explain and people thought that some major trauma had happened.
It asks for me to be moved away preferably away from everyone and not to be shown sympathy. And to reassure people that it is a part of my disease and that I will be fine if left alone, (with one person) in five minuets or so.
It is natural to hug, cuddle and show sympathy to people showing signs of a major trauma, but unfortunately it is the worse approach for Mnd people with emotional problems.
I tell my friends and acquaintances to be sarcastic, a little nasty and to move the subject away from where it is if I have trouble.
I try to make sure that I still do things even when I know that I will probably brake down, but I make sure that I have a way out and that as many people as possible know of my predicament. At family gatherings my sons and wife just shield me so other people can not see my embarrassment and after a while I am able to continue.
I hope this helps, laughter is the best medicine.

bakeit Forum