PDA

View Full Version : Enviromental controls

jadedjohn
23rd February 2012, 20:37
I had my enviromental control assessment today by a doctor from Musgrove park hospital and for once she seemed to be concerned about me rather than money, They liaise with rsl steeper, they can provide on prescription, tv, phone, lights, I said I wanted a intercom on the front door with a remote opener he said that's too much of a security risk, but when the engineer does his assessment we can come up with something. Apparently the communication side is done via the salt - in some areas it's under one roof.

After that of course me being me with my Ferrari brain- lol got thinking how could I expand it myself, the format for most home automation seems to be Z wave, does anyone know for sure? I guess hey will prescribe the evo assist via rsl steeper.

Thanks

John

Jeannie
24th February 2012, 08:54
John, Do NOT use Possum environmental controls, they are a nightmare and customer service is 0.

jadedjohn
24th February 2012, 08:55
Thanks J I think they use rsl steeper

J

Rachelg
24th February 2012, 11:16
John - Musgrove do use RSL Steeper and our area engineer is a chap called Damian - he is bloomin brilliant - he has worked on environ control systems for over 10 years with Steeper. He is very approachable and helpful. I know that he was down at Musgrove last week discussing different systems because he borrowed a new type micro switch from us to show them. Now I don't know much about technical stuff but the evo assist has a couple of options and radio waves is one of them (I overheard him say that - means nothing to me).

Dr Hanspall at Musgrove oversees Marks prescriptions.

And of course Steeper also supplied Marks eyegaze

jadedjohn
24th February 2012, 11:45
John - Musgrove do use RSL Steeper and our area engineer is a chap called Damian - he is bloomin brilliant - he has worked on environ control systems for over 10 years with Steeper. He is very approachable and helpful. I know that he was down at Musgrove last week discussing different systems because he borrowed a new type micro switch from us to show them. Now I don't know much about technical stuff but the evo assist has a couple of options and radio waves is one of them (I overheard him say that - means nothing to me).

Dr Hanspall at Musgrove oversees Marks prescriptions.

And of course Steeper also supplied Marks eyegaze

thanks Rachel that's great don't suppose you have any contact details for him do you? as I'm trying to design a system for my extension - for example they use plug-in adapters to turn lamps on etc, whereas you can buy both z wave and x10 rf sockets, and if I'm paying for normal sockets to be installed I may as well pay the little bit extra and have them installed in the first place! - much neater

john

Rachelg
24th February 2012, 12:52
I dont have his mobile number but if you call Steeper on 0113 270 4841 I am sure they will be able to put you through to their technical departments who will either advise you or give you his mobile number. Mention that Musgrove are doing the prescription and they will be more than happy to help

jadedjohn
24th February 2012, 13:55
thanks Rachel I'll give them a Bell

Cheers

John

computatec
25th February 2012, 12:14
Thanks Rachel

Here is the link http://www.rslsteeper.com

Clive

mik
25th February 2012, 17:10
John, Do NOT use Possum environmental controls, they are a nightmare and customer service is 0.

Hi was just wondering what was wrong, I've had some possum kit for couple weeks,I haven't had any problems yet, but it's early days.

luce
25th February 2012, 23:02
HI
My mum has Possum and it is very good, and also she finds the customer service excellent, respond quickly to queries, any problems, good liaison always and very friendly staff.

Mum has an automotic door opener without an intercom. it can be opened by a pad on the passage way wall that mum can still activate herself. It is also activated by a button that mum chose to have attached to her wheelchair so she can open the door from anywhere in the house or alone if she is out shopping alone - she activates it when approaching the house- it then closes automatically. since mum cannot use her hands very much they found a very good button that she can depress

mum has another system with possum and it has been programmed to work the TV, DVD, digital photo frame, CD player, lights, telephone and she has sentences programmed in to it

no problems

luce

Jeannie
26th February 2012, 16:29
The first part of the possum installation (tv, sky and phone) went ok, well it cannot go wrong really because it's only a case of pairing the inferred. The second installation (light's and intercom) is where it all went pair shaped. I was told face to face by the boss of possum that the intercom would work with my controllers, but when it came to fitting the intercom and setting it up we soon realised it wouldn't work and they couldn't give an answer to why. The installer recorded three phrases on the intercom yet when he came back a week later to disconnect the intercom he swore blind that it wasn't his voice and claimed we had recorded over it lol we hadn't got a clue how to record messages. The reason it got disconnected was every time the phone rang it would ring out loud on the intercom outside and when visitors pressed the intercom it would say 'hello' and they would be speaking to it yet I couldn't hear them or respond because it wasn't connected to my controllers. The installer couldn't fit the lights because our light switch had one to many wires and this was never resolved nor was the intercom issue.

This went on for 3 + years. I would wait for months to a year hear nothing from them, they were suppose to be resolving the issue and when I complained several times stating facts they refused to send a member of their team because of my complaints yet they were at fault.

I never did have my possum controls working. I am not the only person who has had problems with possum and I am sure I won't be the last. I am glad some people have had problem free with them.

I will be using RSL Steeper next time ;)

jadedjohn
26th February 2012, 16:51
The first part of the possum installation (tv, sky and phone) went ok, well it cannot go wrong really because it's only a case of pairing the inferred. The second installation (light's and intercom) is where it all went pair shaped. I was told face to face by the boss of possum that the intercom would work with my controllers, but when it came to fitting the intercom and setting it up we soon realised it wouldn't work and they couldn't give an answer to why. The installer recorded three phrases on the intercom yet when he came back a week later to disconnect the intercom he swore blind that it wasn't his voice and claimed we had recorded over it lol we hadn't got a clue how to record messages. The reason it got disconnected was every time the phone rang it would ring out loud on the intercom outside and when visitors pressed the intercom it would say 'hello' and they would be speaking to it yet I couldn't hear them or respond because it wasn't connected to my controllers. The installer couldn't fit the lights because our light switch had one to many wires and this was never resolved nor was the intercom issue.

This went on for 3 + years. I would wait for months to a year hear nothing from them, they were suppose to be resolving the issue and when I complained several times stating facts they refused to send a member of their team because of my complaints yet they were at fault.

I never did have my possum controls working. I am not the only person who has had problems with possum and I am sure I won't be the last. I am glad some people have had problem free with them.

I will be using RSL Steeper next time ;)

Lol Jeannie ;-)

Alright you've sold rsl to me

I must admit I phone the RSL tech support and they were really good, he was able to answer any technical querie I had, like frequencies the systems operate at, compatabity etc. so I shall be using them if Musgrove agree!

John xx

bakeit Forum