PDA

View Full Version : Flu

Michaeldw
24th February 2012, 16:25
Hi,
Please could someone advise me whether or not I, with ALS, can have a flu jab. I am in Spain and there is an epidemic in my area.

Kind regards

Michael

Alienista606
24th February 2012, 17:18
my GP give me jab way I asked for. and highly recommended this for me and my wife
don't fell any different now after 2-3 months so possible works
Max

Michaeldw
24th February 2012, 18:45
Thank you Max.

Irene
24th February 2012, 20:27
Hi Michael John my husband who has mnd and myself as his carer alwayshave the flu jab every winter John also had the pneumonia jab. Hope you dont catch the flu,take care Irene

computatec
25th February 2012, 11:09
Hi Michael

My neurologist advised me to have the flu and pneumonia vaccines. I had no problems with either jab. Everyone in your home plus carers should have them.

Best advice is to stay away from people until the epedemic is over. Order in some vino tinto and hibernate in your house.

Which area of Spain are you in? If you can read Spanish, here is the Spanish MND website [http://www.adelaweb.com]

Clive

Michaeldw
26th February 2012, 23:02
Hi Clive,

Thanks for the info. also Irene, We live in Gata de Gorgos and are desperate to sell and return to the UK.

Just found out, after an appointment with the neurologist was bumped from 14 Feb. to June 25, the neurologist does not think my A.L.S. is not urgent. Last time I saw her it was 31 May 2011.

Michael

Jeannie
27th February 2012, 10:39
Usually it is recommended, but I personally have never had the flu or pneumonia vaccine.

computatec
27th February 2012, 16:09
Hi Michael

Here we have three monthly follow ups with the Neurologist, reducing to six weekly as the condition progresses. Has your neuro given a diagnoses based on extensive tests or is it just his opinion?

We lived inland from Gandia, between Alicante and Valencia. Good luck with selling the house.

Clive

Michaeldw
27th February 2012, 19:48
Hi Clive,

Gata is inland from Javea and Denia, 20 mins.

I was diagnosed, privately, by Dr. W. Dettmann, an hour in MRI, he carried out a lumber puncture, 4 x EMG and he carried out extensive manual examinations always looking for good news - to no avail sadly. I still go to him about every 2 months, he is very supportive and sympathetic.

It's about 3 years since loss of strength and muscle in right hand, and nearly 2 years since diagnosis. Dr Dettmann told me that my decline will be slow as I am still pretty strong, can drive the car easily as it's automatic. He tells me I should take Rilutek and that's what I am trying to get through the Spanish NH system. So of to the local Salud and ask the doctor to try and push for an earlier appointment with the neurologist who is the only person who can prescribe Rilutek on the national health. I am now 68 years.

Kind regards

Michael

computatec
27th February 2012, 21:25
Hi Michael

Even here only a neurologist can prescribe Rilutec. Rilutek costs about 150 a month here but may be cheaper in Spain if you wanted to start before the prescription is written and it has to go for inspection before you can use it.

Glad to hear you have had a proper testing and diagnosis.

I am 78 and mine started in my left leg, about three years ago, but now it is claiming more of me very quickly. I was driving (Automatic) until October.

We were on the other side of that mountain range, near Castello de Rugat.

Clive

Michaeldw
24th March 2012, 22:14
Hi Clive,

After complaining to our Dr. at the local salud, my appointment withe the neuro. has been brought forward to April 14th.

No offer on the house. Taking an anti depressant so lif e not so grim and more pleasant for my wife.

Kind regards

Michael

bakeit Forum