PDA

View Full Version : Sativex

Son392
7th March 2012, 10:41
Hi All,
I was just watching a programme on BBC1 called Postcode Lottery. It was really interesting, a lady suffering from MS took part in a clinical trial using Sativex and it really helped with her symptoms. She said that she had less spasticity, could move around better and that it helped with pain, muscle stiffness and spasms. Even though the trial was successful because she lived in the wrong postcode the programme was about her difficulty in trying to obtain it after the trial. As these symptoms are common in MND I was just wondering if anybody had managed to get hold of this drug and how it was for you? It contains the active ingredient that is in Cannabis which Is THC but its legal. Would a doctor prescribe it for MND does anybody know if you were living in the right area?

Rachelg
7th March 2012, 12:04
Hi

This is the thing - Marks neurologist said he thought Mark may benefit from using it but was unable to prescribe because of not being our prescriber due to different hospital trust (money basically). Marks GP though happy to presribe it couldn't because it is not licensed for use with MND only MS. Our GP's practice said they are unable to "police" off license drugs due to practice policy.

So, Yes I think its use in MND would be good for spasticity, spasms stiffness etc but actually getting it - thats another matter. I also know that it took a long long time to get it licensed for MS use.

Others may have different info and GPs willing to prescribe off license but this is how it is for Mark

Son392
11th March 2012, 21:33
Hi Rachel,

Thanks for the reply. Doesn't look good then for getting hold of it. My dad said he will ask his GP but sounds like we know what the answer will be then. Its such a shame, could be something that may help a lot of people with their symptoms.

Sonya

pete
11th March 2012, 21:51
Hi All,

Just wondered if you knew the costing of sativex, its much cheaper than rilutec, sativex is around a fiver a day =1700 a year so not so much in the bigger picture if it helps folk,

cheers
pete

Son392
18th March 2012, 20:44
Thanks for the info Pete. Its interesting to know the cost, and I imagine it would be money well spent if it could ease alot of symptoms.

Sonya

bakeit Forum