PDA

View Full Version : Non froth toothpaste?

paris
18th March 2012, 21:42
Hi everyone

Does anybody know of where I can buy some non froth/foam toothpaste?

luce
18th March 2012, 22:33
Hi
I recall there is a colgate one that you can get on prescription. if you have MND then you can ask your GP to complete a medical exemption form so that you can get your prescriptions free
kind regards
i am sure that MNDA have a leaflet section on dental health?
Lucy

Lassie
18th March 2012, 23:07
Hi Luce,
My husband uses Retardex toothpaste which is non foaming. I always get from Boots. A lot of dentists now stock it.

Lassie

Alienista606
18th March 2012, 23:58
spoken whit my GP abbout this exemption form and she told me MND is not NHS prescription free list so we cant have on. from this reason i have prepayment prescription buuuuuu
Max

luce
19th March 2012, 00:29
Max

Sorry to mess up the thread on toothpaste but:
extract from web
Medical Exemption Certificates are issued on application to people who have:

A permanent fistula (for example caecostomy, colostomy, laryngostomy or ileostomy) requiring continuous surgical dressing or requiring an appliance
A form of hypoadrenalism (for example Addison's disease) for which specific substitution therapy is essential
Diabetes insipidus or other forms of hypopituitarism
Diabetes mellitus, except where treatment is by diet alone
Hypoparathyroidism
Myasthenia gravis
Myxoedema (that is, hypothyroidism requiring thyroid hormone replacement)
Epilepsy requiring continuous anticonvulsive therapy
[B][SIZE="3"]A continuing physical disability which means the person cannot go out without the help of another person. Temporary disabilities do not count even if they last for several months
It is the last one that i belive was ticked because of my mums MND. I think it really seems like it depends if you have a helpful GP. It could be that MNDA have got some advice for you on?

luce

Alienista606
19th March 2012, 08:15
Ok my ALL make me arms weaker but not my legs so in my
Case I can't have free prescription. This is my Gp explanations .
Max

paris
19th March 2012, 09:09
Good morning everybody

Thank you for all your replies, I'll be off to boots on my lunch then!
Have a nice day
Paris x

Robyn Copley-Hirst
19th March 2012, 10:33
i am sure that MNDA have a leaflet section on dental health?

Absolutely, Luce

Here's the link: Information Sheet 12: Oral Hygiene (http://www.mndassociation.org/search_clicks.rm?id=21&destinationtype=2&instanceid=264177)

and the relevant excerpt below:
__________________________________________________ _______________

For people with swallowing difficulties

Once swallowing becomes a problem, many people find they cannot bear to have toothpaste or mouthwash in their mouth for fear of choking. Non-foaming toothpaste may help, as you do not have to rinse - it simply dissolves, taking away the bacteria. Colgate Duraphat is a prescription-only toothpaste available from your GP, but if you purchase a retail product, select a toothpaste that is free from sodium laurel sulphate, which is the ingredient that creates the foam.

If you use a suction machine, a small suction toothbrush (Plak Vac) can be obtained. This can be attached to the suction machine to suck up excess saliva and toothpaste whilst cleaning the teeth (see ‘Other organisations’ at the end of this sheet for more details.)

The ‘gag’ reflex can also be minimized by introducing toothbrushes and other mouth cleaning items into the mouth gently. Placing the chin in a neutral or downward position can help.
__________________________________________________ ____________________
I hope this helps on top of the helpful hints from everyone above,

Robyn

Peggy
20th March 2012, 17:12
That is a great help, thank you.

bakeit Forum