PDA

View Full Version : Bed trouble

Chris
11th April 2012, 13:11
Im having a hard time getting comfy at night, i have a profile bed with air mattress but cant stay comfortable, also turning over is a nightmare! Arms are useless and get in way, best bet would be cut the buggers off!?
Anyone have any help or advice?

Thanks ;)

Jeannie
11th April 2012, 16:51
Hi Chris,

All I can suggest is an able body person to help. Darren attends to me up to 6 + times during the night, like you I can turn but arms get in the way and then the covers come off because I shuffle to turn, then when I turn my head stays in the same position tilted back which makes swallowing impossible and if that isn't enough then comes severe cramps lol you gotta laugh. I'm so grateful that Darren is here to adjust/help me.

Robert
12th April 2012, 12:12
Hi you two,I can symphasise,I lost the ability to turn in bed about 6months ago,so now I resign myself to sleeping on my back.My Pat reckons that's how pigs must sleep. Anyway I read until I'm really tired and leave my profile bed raised up at the head about a foot.I find I have to put a cushion under each calf else I suffer with cramp and heel pressure pain.What I would like to know is how good are the air matresses?

Regards BOB

angnmick
12th April 2012, 17:30
Hi Bob

Mick has just changed from our profiling bed to hospital bed and air mattress,on our bed we had memory foam mattress and a wedge cushion from calves to just before heels so that his heels didn't touch the mattress. The difference with the hospital bed is the leg positioning is much better, He has been sleeping on his back now for two and a half years and the pressure mattress is giving him a much comfier nights sleep. He does however sleep at about 30 degrees upright due to breathing issues, but has no use of legs or hands really now and so once we have him positioned him he pretty much stays like that all night. we have only had the bed and mattress 6 nights after a settling period of just two nights has had a continuos 4 nights good sleep. Hope this helps guys xxx Ang

computatec
14th April 2012, 17:41
Hi Bob

I also have a profiling bed and air mattress. My bed has had the foot end extended as I am tall. The air mattress took some getting used to and finding the right air pressure was the key to having a good nights sleep. I am unable to turn so I sleep on my back with my ventilator mask for ten hours per night. Providing I am comfortable in bed I can usually go trhe whole night without wakiing up. I have the bed control under the covers by my lefthand so I can make adjustments during the night when I feel uncomfortable. Raising the foot end is especially helpful if my legs are uncomfortable, or if I am sliding down the bed.

When you first lie on the air matress it is like lying on a bed of logs, but after a while it adjusts to your weight and becomes comfortable. The "Logs" are accross the bed and every alternate log is hard with the others soft. The air pressure adjusts so the soft logs become hard and the hard become soft and it continually changes like that and moulds the bit you are lying on to your shape.

Clive

jadedjohn
14th April 2012, 21:12
Hi Chris,

All I can suggest is an able body person to help. Darren attends to me up to 6 + times during the night, like you I can turn but arms get in the way and then the covers come off because I shuffle to turn, then when I turn my head stays in the same position tilted back which makes swallowing impossible and if that isn't enough then comes severe cramps lol you gotta laugh. I'm so grateful that Darren is here to adjust/help me.

Jeannie

Lol, I know what you mean, I just wish I was 6 stone lighter, and Sharon was built like Fatima whitbread, :owe could manage then , it takes both Sharon and my 13 year old daughter to get me out of bed!!!

Jeannie
15th April 2012, 20:08
lol John - could imagine Sharon as Fatima throwing you around the room hehehe. How are you feeling now? me thinks you should share what happened here (well on a new thread) so others know what to look out for xx

luce
16th April 2012, 00:10
My mum has 2 bed levers, one on each side- helpul for trying to get in or move, but not easy. Think it helps to have the hospital bed on an upright sitting position in the night too
luce

jadedjohn
16th April 2012, 14:50
lol John - could imagine Sharon as Fatima throwing you around the room hehehe. How are you feeling now? me thinks you should share what happened here (well on a new thread) so others know what to look out for xx

Lol I will - good idea

Jxx

Bookworm
18th April 2012, 18:33
I have the same problem but have found satin type nylon sheets very helpfull. The duvet is no use as it slips off. A satin nightshirt helps even more.

jadedjohn
18th April 2012, 19:24
I have the same problem but have found satin type nylon sheets very helpfull. The duvet is no use as it slips off. A satin nightshirt helps even more.

Chris - yes I know I'm warped but it made me chuckle ;)
http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt197/tourangang/57337c65.jpg

Bookworm
21st April 2012, 12:26
Chris - yes I know I'm warped but it made me chuckle ;)
http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt197/tourangang/57337c65.jpg

You do look great!!!!

Derek_
21st April 2012, 14:39
I have taken to sleeping in my rise and recline chair now. If i sleep in bed i am a wake nearly every hour. My arms are useless when i try to turn round in bed, and the covers either end up on the floor or i end up with them wrapped right round me and i cannot move. My wife Jenny tries her best but she is not strong enough to ump me about. I have a new hip that was fitted in 2008 on left side, as i fell over and broke it.

I sleep best on my left as i can breath better, and i sleep with my gob shut and breath through my nose, but now my hip is very painfull after a couple of hours of laying on it as i ain't got no meat on my hip., If i try and sleep on myright side, my gob comes open and after about an hour it's dried right out. I can't sleep on my back as i find breathing difficult. I have an electric bed with aTempur mattress that raises me up, but not a profile bed. Sleeping in my rise and recline chair i can sleep nearly five hours without waking. Like you i get cramps in my calf muscles and neck muscles.

That is a good photo of you.

bakeit Forum