PDA

View Full Version : Oral hygiene

gypster
17th April 2012, 15:05
Brushing my teeth is becoming increasingly difficult. The process is taking longer every day and requires more and more contortions and I never feel properly clean. Has anybody got any tips, tricks or advice? I dread the thought of someone doing it for me.

cheers

Bels
17th April 2012, 16:03
Hi Nick,

My Mum also finds cleaning her teeth very tricky. She needs help sometimes reaching the odd hard to reach spot. The only bit of advice I have from Mum's experience is that she found an electric toothbrush much easier. She is losing strength in her arms now so this too is tricky but did make a big difference for a while.

Bels

Cath51
17th April 2012, 16:39
Hi Nick
Mic uses one of the sonic electric toothbrushes, picked one up reasonably priced via Amazon or EBay (can't remember which) he finds it easier to use as he props his arm up with a cushion and lets the brush do the work - the only tricky bit is getting the toothpaste on the brush.

luce
17th April 2012, 22:43
hi
My mum has resisted having someone clean her teeth even though she needs it as she can only lightly do it herself, but not at bed time. however the speech therapist explained this week that it is important that someone cleans them for you as bacteria can go down the throat and cause infections etc. My mum has decided on friday she will let her friend a hygienist clean them for her in the evening (watch this space as it was supposed to be tonight she let her but mum has put it off again).

The friend said:

Corsydyl can help reduce bacterial infections (you can get this as toothpaste or gel if mouthwash cannot be used). It can help bring down inflamation and bacterial infections.

My mum has prophylactic antibiotics daily

Apparently if someone is not eating it is easy for the tongue to get coated and bacteria to form in the mouth.

My mum also finds a tongue scraper useful (but can no longer do this herself)

My friend who is a hygienist said that the best thing is to use an electric tooth brush if you can hold it.

Recently the speech therapist said that if you get a baby toothbrush and soak in warm water to soften this can be good around the gum area especially if the mouth is dry, gentle pressure.

All in all the advice we have received is- let someone help you with cleaning your teeth to reduce infections and maintain oral hygiene.

Since mum cannot eat anymore she is aware of the need for her mouth to be clean as it is a risky time for infections.

Waffling on, but another thing that may be useful (i use this when my RSI plays up) is having the foam around the toothbrush handle to make it easier to hold (this has not been helpful for my mum though).

There are also toothbrushes with a unique type of head that may help, will text a friend tomorrow if i can find out the name of them.
best wishes
lucy

mik
18th April 2012, 09:37
I know it's difficult but I have found it easier now to just accept help when needed, for me it's just a case of making life better and not struggling on and upsetting myself more, my wife has been doing my teeth for about a year now. I would love to do them myself but I can't be arsed struggling with something like this.

gypster
19th April 2012, 13:00
thanks to all who replied

Peggy
19th April 2012, 15:58
I have an electric toothbrush which I can still use and I have mouth wash but over the last two weeks I have had inflamed gumd

Robert
19th April 2012, 16:05
Hey Peggy gargle with warm salt water if you can best thing for gums

Regards doctor Bob

Peggy
20th April 2012, 08:16
Thank you dr bob

ahalmos
21st May 2012, 14:26
For nearly 20 years I thought cleaning my teeth is only about pushing your toothbrush hard on your teeth and start brushing them. Well, I was wrong. I went to my dentist couple of months ago and he told me the first rule is to brush softly, but never hard or strong. Second advise was an electric toothbrush. Now this was a bit harder because there are 100+ electric toothbrushes on the market and I wanted to get the best one! So I collected all the advises from my dentist:
- the toothbrush head should rotate and not move up and down
- I should purchase different heads (medium and soft) and change them time to time

A bought a Braun electric toothbrush at Macy's and now I think my dental hygiene have improved a lot!

What's your story?

Andras

Robert
21st May 2012, 17:21
I take them out and put them in a glass of water where they smile at me as I go to sleep.

Hey Andras not really I use a Braun and have no complaints

Warmest Regards Bob

bakeit Forum