PDA

View Full Version : Just in time Brief - Deep Viened Thrombosis

jadedjohn
22nd April 2012, 22:11
This is to warn you all of a close shave I had recently.

Whilst on holiday in Cornwall my left leg started swelling up, I thought it was due to my reduced mobility, but after a few days I decided to contact JR Oxford hospital, she said it was odd that it was only one leg, normally it would be both. So she suggested we need to rule out deep vein thrombosis (DVT). We left for home on Thursday night to enable me to see the doctor the next day, he came to my house and was worried, he tried to book me in to hospital that very day but they could not fit me in until the Tuesday. I had to have a scan the same as they do with baby scans! She found where the clot was and it was in my lower abdomen, so it had moved quite a long way so it was a good job we had it checked out! I'm now having daily heiferin injections in my stomach, and I'm taking warfarin tablets too!

If this was another week I probably wouldn't be here today!

John

caramel
23rd April 2012, 08:27
Scary situation to be in!

I had a dvt when I was pregnant, one fat red leg and pain, rang the midwife, saw my doctor and ended up in hospital all on the same day.

They did the scan and it was in my groin, so I was very lucky like you. Then I spent 5 days on a heparin drip and injecting myself for the next 8 months with warfarin afterwards, I also had daily blood tests and felt like a pin cushion.

Not everybody knows about dvt's so as far as I'm concerned the more info out there the better.

I got a lot of people asking me how I could inject myself every day - well Duh! I want to live, thank you very much.

I hope you don't have to inject as long as I did, but I think you'll be on warfarin for the rest of your life.

Jeannie
27th April 2012, 18:03
How scary for you both Thanks for the heads up, John. You were one lucky guy ;-) It's a good job you were on the ball, I'm so glad they treated you in time xx

bakeit Forum