PDA

View Full Version : too many falls

marieline
6th May 2012, 09:42
for the last 3 years, i have been falling regularly. At first i seemed to be able to protect myself from injury. For the last year or so, most falls have resulted in fractures. currently i have fracture to my arm and big toe. I understand the muscles are weakening. Are there ways to prevent injuries and at the same time for me to maintain my mobility. i still live alone and use a walking stick.

determined to remain independent.
Marieline

pete
6th May 2012, 11:19
Hello marieline,

Yes pretty much the same here ,I think you need to see your OT and get a better support , the stick obviously isnt good enough for you , and If there available out in Oz, there are several types of assist with wheels on and offer better support ,but i think you need to get proffesional advice good luck and hope the injuries heal quickly for you , and keep on with the independance ,but get help.wishing you all the best

pete

miranda
6th May 2012, 16:04
I also have had several falls and determined to be independent. The only time I felt safe was pushing the trolley round the supermarket. Now I use a rollator ( a push along thingy on wheels) and my world is much better. Still independent and so much more confident.

marieline
8th May 2012, 03:30
Thanks for suggesting that i upgrade my walking stick. I was advised a rollator, but i was afraid my brain will take this as me giving up on the effort. I suppose i will need to weigh the pros and cons. I want to keep my muscles active as long as i can.

Determined to remain independent.

ian
8th May 2012, 07:33
Further to your posts about Rollators. My OT suggested one because I had a couple of falls but mainly because of the stress of walking lopsided. It will not reduce your muscle use. You will still use your legs, arms and back as you walk. It will also give you the ability to rest whenever you wish. So go for it. It will extend your independence.

Even though my legs are weaker I am still getting about with confidence.

marieline
8th May 2012, 11:41
Hello Ian, thanks for the extra info. Yes i have noticed that it's a lot of strain on my lower back and my knees. I am feeling embarrassed, but you wouldn't have a picture of the rollator? i want to find something suitable to suit my lifestyle. you see, i prefer to walk to most places as i live near the CBD. I get anxious in case i pick the wrong one. I wish you a fantastic day

I am determined to remain independent

Robert
8th May 2012, 15:01
Hi marieline,they say you learn something new everyday and also your never too old to learn, so what is the CBD?

Warmest Regards Bob

Mrsshaf
8th May 2012, 15:18
Hi marieline,they say you learn something new everyday and also your never too old to learn, so what is the CBD?

Warmest Regards Bob

Hi Bob,

I think that Marieline might be in bed now! so I thought I'd enlighten you, CBD stands for Central Business District. I've only just returned from Perth, Australia and absolutely loved it.
Regards
Paula

roy
8th May 2012, 15:42
Hi Bob,
Im glad you asked the question, I just couldnt bring myself to, I thought It was either a model motorcycle or perhaps a cb radio,
like you say learn something everyday.

best wishes.

Roy.

miranda
8th May 2012, 19:17
Just google 'rollators' and click on 'images'' - you will see a variety of models.

marieline
9th May 2012, 11:07
:-) Robert CBD stands for central business district i think. In other word the city centre of Perth.

Did that explain things

Greetings from down under:)

marieline
9th May 2012, 11:08
:-) Robert CBD stands for central business district i think. In other word the city centre of Perth.

Did that explain things

Greetings from down under:)

marieline
9th May 2012, 11:12
thank you very much Paula for standing in. I would think cities would be planned the same way in England. It's good to know.

regards

Marieline

marieline
9th May 2012, 11:17
Thank you Miranda. from what i've seen of the walking aids so far, you are much more advanced.
I shall do that. I have an appointment coming up at the trauma clinic, i could perhaps bring up my needs for an upgrade on my walking stick.

Best regards

Marieline

Terry
12th May 2012, 20:40
I last fell one and a half years ago when I sneezed. Although I have been getting closer to falling as I get more problems. I have been using three and four wheeled walkers for about two years now. All of my walkers are weighted down with either five litres of water or/and weights. It is really surprising how a bit of weight stabilizes the walkers and if you are unbalanced it can save you. If you have trouble griping with your hands then you can get walking aids with arm rests called troughs or gutters, they are taller so that you rest your elbows and forearms in them. I am unable to relax if I get a shock and if I was to fall I would land hard.

Robert
13th May 2012, 11:53
Hey Paula and Marieline,thanks for the enlightenment,Marieline you can get rollaters with a seat insitu. handy if you start to tire.
Warmest Regards Bob from upover.

bakeit Forum