PDA

View Full Version : Books

Jenni
20th January 2011, 12:11
Well, we seem to have a music and film thread, so how about a book thread too to complete the set. :)

Do you have a favourite book, or author? How do you feel about audio books?

Personally, I like Stephen King, Anne Rice, Dean Koontz (particularly the Odd Thomas books), Terry Pratchett, and I'm collecting the Lemony Snicket series for my (unofficial) godson Josh.

I love getting lost in a good book, even the smell and feel of a book, although many people I know are really excited about Kindles and the like.

Jos
21st January 2011, 03:34
Hi all

I love reading, love anything from the classics to American crime/detective novels to romance. Anything but sci-fi/fantasy/horror. My favourites authors included Robert Crais, Janet Evanovich, Mark Billingham, Dennis Lehane, Lori Foster.
My favourite book is To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. My favourite series/characters are the Myron/Win books by Harlan Coben-my total fav!-if you like a dramatic, funny, character driven books with a twist, try him, you will love them!
Am looking for some books set in 1940/50 America college setting type-like the film Mona Lisa Smile with Julia Roberts, love that era. So if anyone has any suggestions, I would be grateful.
Thanks

SGD
21st January 2011, 08:02
Bit lazy and listened to the Series Of Unfortunate Events series on CD with Tim Curry narrating and playing out all the characters, so much better than the film. As a kid loved reading Jules Verne novels.

I've written a couple of reviews of "Management Books" and they've been published in "The Edge" magazine - The Institute of Leadership & Managements in house magazine

Love the look and smell of a book

Jenni
21st January 2011, 10:54
Hi Jos,
I challenge anyone not to find 'To Kill A Mockingbird' a must-read book. Its a long standing fave of mine too. I recently listened to it on audio book, and I think Sissy Spacek was the reader.

I wanna be honest about something, and it may make me somewhat of a pariah - I don't like Harry Potter. There, I've said it, and I can't take it back now, lol. I tried reading the first one years ago, and didn't find it to my taste. I also loathe the Twilight books - I read the first one and gave up halfway through as it was so badly written.

I'm keen to try the Sookie Stackhouse books though, as I'm a big fan of True Blood.

eshep
21st January 2011, 12:30
Finally found another fan of True Blood!I am not sure that I want to read the books because it might ruin the show for me! Jenni, let me know if you read them!

I think the Twighlight series of books are one of the few examples where the films are drastically better than the books.

I would recommend anyone to read Eat Pray Love. I was sceptical at first but it is amazing!

Ps, Harry Potter books are amazing, have to disagree with you on that one Jenni!

Jos
21st January 2011, 22:06
Jenni I am with you I don't like Harry Potter either. I read the first and second one and that was enough for me. But I don't like the whole Vampire thing either though-sorry!!

Think it comes under the sci-fi fantasy thing for me.
I always hated audio books cos I love to read but being at my sisters recently who loves Radio Four and hearing some serials on there, I think I might give them a go. Sissy Spacek sounds perfect.

hilary walklett
19th March 2011, 18:37
I don't really have a favourite book - I love reading and quite often my "favourite" book is the one I'm reading at the moment. Not true just at the moment though. I'm reading one by Ben Bova, first time I've tried him and finding him very pedestrian. I've also got one by Poul Anderson waiting in the wings, which will be exciting. It's cowboys and indians in space, really :D
I love anything by Dickens, and I find many of the Victorian novelists interesting. I also like biographes - it can be an interesting way to learn history!
I am currently trying to collect a full set of the Dornford Yates novels, written between early 1930s and 1950. Very stylised, gentlemanly adventures, which take you back to an age which never really existed, except in the idealistic minds of the inter-war, well-meaning middle-class .

ashfieb
19th July 2011, 20:05
Bestseller "Chickens, Mules & Two Old Fools" 57 reviews http://t.co/Hxeao26

kvc2761
25th July 2011, 14:35
I highly recomend - "the time travellers wife", "the lovely bones" & "life of pi" - all wonderful reads in their own, unique ways ...

zomazi
25th August 2011, 15:49
Bestseller "Chickens, Mules & Two Old Fools" 57 reviews http://t.co/Hxeao26

Oh thanks :)

Peter
2nd September 2011, 00:21
I have to agree a bit with Jenni. I read some of the Harry Potter books while on holidays over the years. The way I saw it in the first book he
was eleven and the book was aimed at eleven year olds. As he got older I thought the readers it was aimed at would wwould get older, so
when my sson said that he had got the last book in the series out of the school library I read it. It was more childish and unrealistic than
the first. The middle book was not too bad though. I`ll have to try To Kill a Mockingbird when the boys go back to school.

gloriacollins
6th September 2011, 07:51
I too love reading and my favorite writer is Stephen King....:)

sarahezekiel
6th September 2011, 16:27
I really enjoyed One Day and Starter for Ten, by David Nicholls. Also, Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger.

Sarah

bakeit Forum