PDA

View Full Version : Lifting

Gloria
11th September 2012, 08:48
Hi

My husband fell twice this weekend, once getting up out of his chair he fell onto a little table which broke his fall (and the table) and again getting out of bed. My question is what is the correct way to lift him, I managed to get him up onto his feet on both occasions but not without a struggle, I don't want to hurt him or myself. He is very unsteady on his feet and we are waiting for a rollator to aid with his walking around the house.

Gloria

john
11th September 2012, 09:02
Gloria,
You should talk to your OT as soon as possible. there are various lifting aids they can supply to help you. There is usually a fall team attached to your local hospital who will come to see you to discuss how to avoid the falls and what to do if they happen. Talk to your doctor, long term care nurse or anyone with the nhs who will champion your cause.

John

Gloria
11th September 2012, 12:27
Thanks John, I will get on to them.

Gloria

mellonius
11th September 2012, 15:56
I fell late on Friday niight and my wife was unable to lift me. I think the official line is to dial 999 ambulance who if no one is injured, will send a car with helper. You should not risk injury to yourself. [in my case, my son did an 18 mile round trip to pick me up]. In my area there is a community alarm scheme and I have been advised to join that. Mel

Irene
11th September 2012, 20:07
Last time John had a fall about 18months ago now,I couldnt get him up I rang 999 explained it wasnt an emergency but I needed help to get John up.An ambulance arrived with two lovely ambulance people and they lifted him up put him in bed for me and gave him a check over to make sure he wasnt hurt they were brilliant said it was no trouble they would rather come out than risk me hurting myself ,Irene

Terry
11th September 2012, 21:40
Hi Gloria;
Look up Re lifting and moving, in carers section and advice needed please, in the life with Mnd section, they might help.
Best wishes, Terry

Gloria
12th September 2012, 12:30
Thanks very much for all your advice.
Gloria

Chrissy
4th November 2012, 16:45
Hi All

Lifting seems to be serious business (when to or not to lift the sufferer).

My husband decided he would try a bath, after not really reaching all the bits that matter while strip washing. 10 minutes to get him in, 10 minutes soak, watching him slide further down in absolute bliss, then came the time to get him out, we can smile about it now, but it took an hour, we had to stuff towels under his bum to lift him higher, then I was in the bath with him trying from the back and then front to lift him (impossible), I even stuffed my son's old gaming chair in under him, that lifted him a little. Eventually we had to put a kitchen chair in the bath with him, he managed to sit on that, then his legs were too high to reach the floor. By now my back is in serious danger of giving way. suffice to say we got him out and he didn't need a towel to dry himself having taken so long.
Poor thing, I was really proud of the fact that neither one of us ended up in tears, especially as he seems to have emotional lability.
The point of the story really is who would we have called...fire brigade, ambulance or a friend, we felt really alone in our plight.

You have permission laugh if it takes you that way cos really if anyone not understanding MND read this they would wet themselves and i am beginning to believe that's the only way to go forward.

Chrissy

P.S. awaiting adaptations as diagnosis is very recent

pete
4th November 2012, 20:28
Hi Chrissy,

What a wonderful post, have to admit it did raise a smile, only because I had a very similar time not that long ago, not long after that episode, we decided a shower would be better, so it took a week, and well it's done and although not perfect it's much easier than the bath, I find I need a chair in there , and that solves it for the moment, I doubt that anything is going to suit everyone, as time passes but for now it's made life a lot easier.

Regards
Pete

Terry
4th November 2012, 22:03
Yep, been there, done it and got the T shirt, twice. Once lifted out by the manager of Premier Inn as he did not what to call the fire brigade and another time whilst travelling, with a dinning chair in the bath and a suit case on the rollator and that was planned.
See O T and get an electric operated bath chair, it worked well for me for a year or so with me. We even used it to get me up after falling in the dining room.
After all “There is more than one way to skin a cat”, sorry to cats. (it is an old English saying, I don't know where it originates)
Love Terry

Chrissy
5th November 2012, 16:42
Hi Terry and Pete

Thanks for those words it does help to see that we are not alone and I'm feeling less daunted by this whole thing since finding lovely people like yourselves.

Love Chrissy

Irene
5th November 2012, 16:43
Hi Chrissy weve all been there we were stuck in a hotel bath many years ago.Thankfully the room was well heated because John would not let me go for help.Like yourselves we eventually got him out and still laugh many years later.However we have now learnt that its not a failure to ask for help,as I once thought it was.We had to have our bath taken out and now have a wetroom and use a shower chair.Much easier and safer for us.i miss having a bath but Johns needs have to come first.I cant wait to go to my daughters in southern Ireland to have a bath at christmas xxx

miranda
5th November 2012, 19:01
So far narrowly avoided getting stuck in the bath.!! My OT got me sorted with an inflatable seat for the bath but I get paranoid there will be a power failure and I will still end up being stuck.. She also got us a lifting device called a Mangar Elk because I kept falling and my husband could not lift me.

Gloria
7th November 2012, 11:48
Hi Miranda, I have just taken delivery of a Mangar Elk which was demonstrated by the OT for hubby but I don't think I will be able to use it, I have to have a control in each hand and support hubby at the same time. Has anyone else got one of these - any tips please?
Gloria

Terry
7th November 2012, 14:31
Hi Gloria;
If hubby has some arm strenght you can put dinning chairs or other objects on each side and behind him so that he can support his self. I thought that there was only one control. We have used a slid sheet to move me to a better place for lifting before. It is always nice to have an extra pair of hands, so maybe a freind could help you if you have to lift him.
Pratice makes perfect, maybe, Love Terry

miranda
7th November 2012, 19:55
I agree with Terry - it is well worth having a few trial runs and we too used dining chairs to help with balance whilst the cushion inflates. Also remember to keep the battery charged!

Gloria
9th November 2012, 16:36
Thanks Terry and Miranda, unfortunately hubby has no strength in his arms or legs now, it is electic so just plugs into the mains. Hope I don't have to use it.

Love and hugs to all
Gloria xx

miranda
9th November 2012, 19:03
Guess who had another fall! Inflatable Elk to the rescue. Unfortunately my husband who has diabetes was having a hypo (low blood sugar) at the time so getting me sorted was a bit of a kerfuffle. I fell in the bathroom so was wedged in and difficult to get me onto the cushion but we worked it out somehow. Some bruises just starting to come out. We realised afterwards that the frame round the loo would be a good support round the Elk to help with balance as it inflates.

roy
9th November 2012, 22:36
Me too belong to the never to bath again club,now in the big shower club.first shower for 10 days had to put up with blanket baths from ladies dressed in nurses uniforms.just had a thought for wifes crimbo present.

Chrissy
10th November 2012, 15:00
Hi Irene

Thanks, we are learning to ask for help, not much choice as he gets worse really.
Enjoy your bath at Christmas, I'm going to miss having a bath but the wetroom that's in the planning does sound good.
Just been told of a toilet that washes and dries you with warm water and air (sounds fab, I fancy that) and elbow height flush and foot pedal, has anyone got one of these?

Chrissy

Irene
10th November 2012, 17:51
Hi Chrissy yes we have one of the toilets as well its a closmat one and an absolute godsend.Gives John a little bit of dignity back my grandaughters also like it at certain times of the month makes them feel fresher.Me................I just like it cos it warms my bum on a cold winters day haha xx

Chrissy
10th November 2012, 18:03
Hi Irene

Haha made me laugh, sounds fantastic, one of Bob's fears is to have the woman he has loved and cherished (me by the way) having to wipe and wash his bum, having said that I did do that in the shower today as when he stands up from his chair he can't quite reach with the shower head, but a bit different would be wiping when having been to the toilet. I am definately going to look into that one. Good idea with the girlies for time of the month by the way.

Chrissy

Marymacgregor
13th December 2012, 21:39
This all sounds so familiar. Unsteadiness, repeated falls. Over the past 5 years my husband (pls) has had hundreds of falls, often weekly, always had difficulty getting up. Until recently he has been able to get up by himself, usually using a chair to pull himself up with. His balance is awfull. His walking is now restricted to only very short distances (yards) and that is with the help of rotators, grab rails and people. He now uses a motorised wheelchair supplied by the local hospital, and I can only say life is so much better. The falls have reduced dramatically, infact I can't remember when the last one was. I doubt if he could get up alone anymore, but if he does have another fall, I will get help. Although I am fairly strong there is no way I could lift him. Remarkably, there have been no serious injuries.

pete
14th December 2012, 16:06
This all sounds so familiar. Unsteadiness, repeated falls. Over the past 5 years my husband (pls) has had hundreds of falls, often weekly, always had difficulty getting up. Until recently he has been able to get up by himself, usually using a chair to pull himself up with. His balance is awfull. His walking is now restricted to only very short distances (yards) and that is with the help of rotators, grab rails and people. He now uses a motorised wheelchair supplied by the local hospital, and I can only say life is so much better. The falls have reduced dramatically, infact I can't remember when the last one was. I doubt if he could get up alone anymore, but if he does have another fall, I will get help. Although I am fairly strong there is no way I could lift him. Remarkably, there have been no serious injuries.

Hi Mary,

Oh yes can empathize with you on this one, Its much the same with me now , and yes its getting very tiresome getting up of the deck ,luckily I still have good arms strength so can still get vertical again if i have something to hold onto ,and to date nothing hurt but pride ?

regards
pete

roy
14th December 2012, 21:22
Hi Mary, talking from personal experience in the unlikely event of a fall phone 999 tell the operator the situation and they will send a car 2 crew members to assist try to avoid hurting yourself make him as comfortable as possible.
Pete long may that be my friend. Hope you appreciated the censor ble advice above.

Best wishes

roy.

Rory
23rd December 2012, 21:52
Love the post Chrissy !
I am still trying to figure out when I stopped falling over having drunk too much and when i started to fall over due to MND.

There appears to be a cross over which the medical team find it hard to fathom out !

During the past couple of years the collapse in the garden ( on top of one of my favourite Camelias) , the fall in the bathroom whilst perched on one leg ( trying to dry my left foot) and the double pike, twin somersault and overhead flip ( in front of an astonished audience whilst checking in at the Arts Hotel Barcelona) , have all been put down to MND - as they were all mid morning.
Others don't need mention but I think Captain Morgan spice rum may have had a contributory factor!

I too now have a chair in the shower and that helps a lot - it is now great to wash without getting out of breath !

Rory@cleanarmpitsareus.com

Terry
3rd September 2015, 11:58
Hi Joycie;

This might save your hubbies back as we can't stop you falling over. It's a Mangar Elk, which some of us have that was supplied by the OT's.

The second page has a lot about them.

Love Terry

willsandco
3rd September 2015, 12:47
Thanks, Terry

I fell transferring from wheelchair to hospital bed but then I couldn't get up at all. If I can get into a crawling position, I can crawl to the settee and he can haul me up from there. which is what I did! The bedhead hoist comes next week. I will have a look at the Mangar Elk!

Love

Joycie x

Terry
3rd September 2015, 13:04
My Hospital bed has high grab rails fitted, it does make moving and getting up a lot easier and safer. I can find the name of them if you need it as they are quite good.

Love Terry

willsandco
3rd September 2015, 13:16
Yes that would be good Terry, thanks. Joycie. Xx

Terry
3rd September 2015, 13:30
Hi Joycie;

The name was on them, "Elland" and there was a number too "0064", they are quite sturdy and gives you some leverage, when laying down.

Again, ask the OT.

Love Terry

bakeit Forum