PDA

View Full Version : iPad 2 and verbal app.

Biking bliss
11th October 2012, 13:58
Hello, my father has recently passed from MND bulbar palsy and whilst he was alive he was unable to talk, eat or drink from Christmas last year. The only way he could really communicate was by using an iPad with a talking app installed. Even though I us I for browsing and stuff I think it is really being wasted and would like to pass it on to another person who has MND and would benefit from such a tool. I live in Plymouth and would be grateful who could make use of the iPad, as I know it's what my father would want.

roy
11th October 2012, 14:21
Hi Biking bliss ,
just wanted to say welcome to the forum,very kind offer with the ipad for the moment dont need one myself but I know many would be very
grateful for this thoughtful gesture.
Ps there are many bikers(ex) on this site and another like you very welcome.

Roy.

Biking bliss
11th October 2012, 14:37
Thanks for making me feel welcome Roy.

Dan

SussexMum
18th October 2012, 23:28
Hi biking bliss
So sorry to hear about your Father and what a very kind and generous person you are. My kid's father has MND and has never been one for technology. However, it's his birthday in a month's time and they really wanted to get him a iPad as it would be easy for them to setup and show him how to use. His speech is going and I feel an iPad with this app would help him to continue to communicate with his children. Unfortunately, finances are a struggle and I can't grant them their wish. The only problem is we're in East Sussex which may be just too far out for your very very kind and generous offer. I'm willing to pay postage/courier costs though but fully understand if you wanted to offer it local. Thank you.

ror
8th January 2013, 17:26
My mum was diagnosed last year and she is now struggling with her speech. I would be interested in pad with the app

Andrew
9th January 2013, 13:56
Hi Ror,

I'm sorry to hear about your mum. We have a guide on our website of what is available to help with communication. You can also ask your mum’s Speech and Language Therapist who should be able to advise if an ipad is the best solution.

Here is the link to our website, which includes lots of useful information.

http://www.mndassociation.org/life-with-mnd/Everyday+Living/Speech+and+communication

Thanks,

Andrew

roy
9th January 2013, 15:26
Hi Andrew,

Just wanted to say welcome cant remember seeing you on here before, good luck in your new post.

best wishes.

Roy.

Andrew
9th January 2013, 16:24
Hi Roy,

I have only been active on the forum for a few days. Thank you for the warm welcome.

Kind regards,

Andrew

tracy.hunt
22nd February 2013, 12:15
Wow, didnt realise they had such an app. No one could understand my mum, she could only move her eyes. I hope this technology goes on to help people. More equipment needs to be thought of. My mum had no way of communication. I was with her all the time, just by looking at her I could see what she wanted, Id get her to blink for yes. But when she was left alone in that room she was terrified, couldnt call out, couldnt press a button.

Sammie
22nd February 2013, 14:22
Is it the talking app 'Verbally'? I have been recommended this, thinking of downloading it for my Mum.

Ta

Sam

pete
22nd February 2013, 21:18
Hi Sam,

Having tried verbally, have to say the voice was robotic and I found it quite complicated for a way of chatting quickly, but having said that we all find the ones that suit our needs for me the best for me ( Speak it) , its simple clear and the voices are of good quality, and even if you want better at under a pound per voice it wont break the bank

regards
pete

roy
22nd February 2013, 21:44
Hi Pete,
Looked at apps for speak it, which one is it,there is a selection of three.
Still got a voice but is starting to go.

Best wishes.

Roy..

pete
23rd February 2013, 00:17
Hi mate,

It's the orange background one, as it's free ,can well recommend you try it out , the voices that come with it are fine ,but the ones you purchase I think are better , but for under a pound it has to be the best in the several I have tried, let me know how you get on, I think Ryan's voice would be perfect !!!

Pete

bakeit Forum