PDA

View Full Version : Disturbed Nights

Joybells
9th November 2012, 18:47
I have to wake my husband two or three times a night to turn me, I find my right leg aches like toothache and wakes me after about three hours sleep. I get relief when he turns me but three hours later I'm in the same pain whatever side I'm on. I don't like taking pain-killers as they make me constipated and don't last long anyway. I can't take Ibuforen as they clash with other medication I take for Ulcerative Colitis. Any advice please would be welcome by us both.

pete
9th November 2012, 19:18
I have to wake my husband two or three times a night to turn me, I find my right leg aches like toothache and wakes me after about three hours sleep. I get relief when he turns me but three hours later I'm in the same pain whatever side I'm on. I don't like taking pain-killers as they make me constipated and don't last long anyway. I can't take Ibuforen as they clash with other medication I take for Ulcerative Colitis. Any advice please would be welcome by us both.

Hi Joybells,

I wish I knew the answer, Its much the same with me ,and I can still turn over and move myself ,but as you say it returns, mentioned it to the Prof when i last saw her ,but much like you i hate taking painkillers ,and she said it could be the bed, I may need a profiling one as a normal bed whatever the claims ,Memory foam isn't the answer to our problems, So if you find out First, let me know and i will do likewise, wishing you a pain free night?

Regards
pete

miranda
9th November 2012, 19:19
Me too Joybells. My pain starts in my hip then goes to leg and like you it does not seem to be relevant to what side I am on. The strange thing is that as soon as I get out of bed, it disappears. Pete has also mentioned he has the same problem and he too described it as being like toothache - that is just how it feels. I am sure it is not our mattress as I had the same when I was away earlier this year.

miranda
9th November 2012, 19:21
Pete - both of us responding simultaneously!

pete
9th November 2012, 19:42
Pete - both of us responding simultaneously!

Miranda,

Do you think we are related in some way Spookey aint it ??????

john
9th November 2012, 20:43
Hi,
Don't know if it was for the same reason but early on in Irene's illness we bought a wedge shaped cushion from Lidl for very little money. Irene slept with both legs raised on this and never complained of the pain you are describing. Might be just the difference between people but it may be worth a try.

John

pete
9th November 2012, 20:59
Evening our John,

Hope your ok , I think that's what my Neuro was suggesting, to be honest, The wife and I have toyed withe the idea of me having a profile bed but have since seen posts that they may not be the longer term solution,as you cannot get a hoist under them, but will get some wedges to try out see if it helps, thanks again John for the advice , good hols ???

Pete

Joybells
9th November 2012, 21:53
Thanks everyone,

I have a hospital bed and a special mattress given by the hospice so I don't think its my bed.. I will try a pillow underneath my leg tonight and report back,, unfortunately I can't lie on my back due to an arthritic spine.

john
9th November 2012, 22:11
Joybells
Irene always slept on her back so I am not sure if that makes a difference. Maybe it was just having her legs raised if you can manage that.
Pete, always good to be home. Mixed weather out there but at least the rain was warm.
Sorry you are struggling to turn. Although it seems to be a common situation but it never seems to get mentioned when you read about the symptoms of mnd.

John

roy
10th November 2012, 00:07
Hi Joybells,

a new sensation recently no more cramps yeppee!!! now get stiff at random when asleep then shake vigourously for 2 minutes
nice.

best wishes.

Roy.

Arthur
10th November 2012, 13:09
Every night I get "odd" cramps which sound the same as your "toothache". I find if I can put some weight on the leg they often go away. However, by the time I lever myself out of bed then I am totally wide awake so initially I try to ignore them.
My OT got me a bed rail/bumper, this helps me get in and out of bed and turn,

Arthur

Joybells
10th November 2012, 13:42
Tried a pillow under the right leg which gives me the pain and three hours later my left leg pained me and woke me. Tried the pillow under both legs and didn't work again. Back to the drawing board. The only relief is when I sit up and the pain magically goes.

Chrissy
11th November 2012, 22:15
Hi All

Bob is getting the same sensations in hip and leg as you are describing but he chokes if he sleeps on his back. We have yet to try it because they are expensive but someone suggested a silk sheet because it is easier to turn over, don't know if it would help any of you.

Chrissy

Toppers
12th November 2012, 17:42
I also have this problem of pain in my hips and we bought a bed that adjusts and with memory mattress but that doesn't seem to help and I spend a few nights in hotels over the year and I have the same problem with them as well.
What we need is someone to invent a bed that will turn you over as you need. I can still move myself which helps but I still wake up about 3 or 4 times a night with pain. Surely with technology these days they can make a bed that will turn people over and I would be quite happy to try it out.
While typing this out yet again another life insurance company has rung to reduce my payments on life insurance. If only!!!!!
Until they find a way to solve this, then I will have put up with it unless a water bed might do it but I have never tried one so I don't know. Anyway sweet dreams for all those who suffer.

Pete

pete
12th November 2012, 19:24
Hello Joy,

Yep me too !!! tried pretty much everything over the last couple of nights and last night fell asleep in my chair ,just a normal armchair and woke up about five this morning quite chilly but strange no pain , Makes no sense at all and like you once out of bed and its gone , I read Arthur's post ,but mine isn't any cramp pain , Seems we need more info on this , To be honest I don't think the solutions going to be that easy to find , like anything to do with MN unless you want to drug yourself up to the eyeballs ??

Regards
pete

Irene
12th November 2012, 20:07
I think this leg pain is worth mentioning to the Mnd team John also gets these pains and very rarely sleeps through the night.I get out of bed 3 or 4 times a night to try make him comft.We recently bought an adjustable bed but as mentioned above it makes no difference at all.Could have saved ourselves the money and kept our old bed.

pete
12th November 2012, 20:34
Hello Irene,

We have been debating the new bed idea, I wanted a Electric bed , you know blokes and toys ??, but your comments have arrived in good time, so you do not think they help much,my reason for wanting a separate bed is purely I tend to cough quite a lot in the night and having the muscle spasms ,wake the other half, by me trying to get out of bed to relieve the pains in my hips, so thanks for posting ,that's of the Chrissy list .My best to you and John

Regards
Pete

JONESY
13th November 2012, 11:41
I have a hospital profiling bed on loan. Originally i had it when i could no longer get up stairs but then it helped me to get out of bed by adjusting the height and now use it to sit up and also raise my legs which all helps with swallowing and some, though not all of, aches and pains.
Chris

Joybells
13th November 2012, 12:24
Why does the pain go when I sit up? There must be a scientific reason for this. I just had the worst night ever - not wanting to disturb hubby for the fourth time I tried to bear it but after a while I felt like screaming as I experienced claustrophobia , the weight of the bedclothes was so resricting even though I sleep with just a throw over me else I can't move my legs. Hubby came to rescue again - we're both shattered!!

Toppers
13th November 2012, 15:55
Hi Pete,
I also fall asleep on the sofa but one where it rises and when I do then like you it doesn't hurt but I'm then cold, so that sometimes helps.
You said about an electric adjustable bed which we bought about 4 years ago when I was waking with coughing fits and that certainly helped and the wife likes it because if I get up or cough or move then she doesn't wake up as she can't feel the bed rocking but be careful if you get one that you don't get stuck in the middle if the matresses move slightly as the wife will find it so funny to see you struggling to get out and you f ing and jef ing will make her laugh even more but we both like the bed and make sure you buy single sheets for the mattereses other wise when you lift your half up the wife might get tipped out.
I was thinking about this pain in our hips and I wondered if anyone had tried a rubber ring that you can buy to sit on if you have piles so that your hip bone doesn't press on the materess and cause the pain that we seem to have.
Would be good to know if anyone has tried this and let us know.

Pete

pete
13th November 2012, 17:20
Hi Pete,

First of all Happy Birthday , It does seem that this pain problem isn't as isolated as we first thought, No one in the team who look after me has had it mentioned, but on here it seems as if a few have the same problems, Given up as it matters not what way I lay, always ends up with the same painfull awakening, Still now you have said much of what I was intending to ask, The electric bed is back on the list, we wondered about the sheet issue and you answered that as well,so lets hope it helps,the coughing drives me Nuts, so if that eases another plus, Hope we get it sorted before Christmas.

Regards
Pete

john
13th November 2012, 17:24
HAPPY BIRTHDAY PETE(Toppers)

roy
13th November 2012, 22:37
Hi Pete,

Just spent 9 days in hostpital and was in one of the regular beds -electric with multi level options, had the bonus of fractured back to test.
found the adjustment option really good.Being hostpital bed the matress was plastic-good if you want to loose weight, if not be prepared to get too hot.The model i was using also had another great feature a press button call control-this is ace. A different lady every night dressed in a nurses uniform will swiftly give you any assistance required.

best wishes.

Roy.

bakeit Forum