PDA

View Full Version : "Slimey" Mouth

Chrissie
10th December 2012, 10:54
We checked Terry's weight today and found he has lost another two pounds this week. He says he doesn't fancy eating because his mouth feels "slimey" all the time, so he forces himself to eat a little while he still can. Has anyone else had this problem? We need to up his fluid intake via his RIG and hope that will help.

Chrissie

Arthur
10th December 2012, 17:06
My mouth oftens feels "slimey", how bad depends on what I have been eating/drinking. I also need to increase my fluid intake.
Flavoured water seems to help, energy drinks also clean up my mouth but the best thing (in my opinion) is Magners Cider!
My GP did say to take plenty of fluids but he may have meant water, however, water is so boring I find it difficult to enjoy

Arthur

JONESY
10th December 2012, 17:43
I find pureed pineapple or pineapple juice helps - very little is needed to help.

Chris

pete
10th December 2012, 19:34
We checked Terry's weight today and found he has lost another two pounds this week. He says he doesn't fancy eating because his mouth feels "slimey" all the time, so he forces himself to eat a little while he still can. Has anyone else had this problem? We need to up his fluid intake via his RIG and hope that will help.

Chrissie

Hi Chrissie

I have to say the only thing that works for me is Tonic water, it's up to you if you add anything to it? But on it's own it works for me. And makes a nice mouth freshener to boot it has quinine in it so I am not sure if its that but I don't seem to suffer with cramps as much these last few weeks, hope it works for you.

Regards
Pete

Northern star
10th December 2012, 23:37
Fisherman s friends ... They are my mates anyway

Chrissie
14th December 2012, 14:15
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. We have just been to the doctor and he has prescribed Oxybutynin Hydrochloride tablets, but the information sheet has really scared me and I'm not at sure they are suitable. We are going to talk to our MacMillan Nurse first. Does anyone else know anything about these tablets, please?

luce
15th December 2012, 23:42
Chrissie,
good oral hygiene is important-my mum had a good friend and a few of us that she would let us help with cleaning her teeth.
i wonder if secretions etc could contribute to a slimey mouth? The suggestion re pineapple juice is a good one, you can also try a tongue scraper. mum found it helpful (but tricky as she could not tolerate things on her tongue).
take care
luce

JONESY
16th December 2012, 15:00
Chrissie,

Oxybutynin is prescribed for irritable bladders. One of the side effects is a dry mouth. I don't think it will help your husband much .

Chris

Robert
16th December 2012, 16:01
Hi Chrissie

I have to say the only thing that works for me is Tonic water, it's up to you if you add anything to it? But on it's own it works for me. And makes a nice mouth freshener to boot it has quinine in it so I am not sure if its that but I don't seem to suffer with cramps as much these last few weeks, hope it works for you.

Regards
Pete

Hi pete,made me smile or morelike grin,can't imagine you having it straight,I have been trialing complimentary champagne lately and I don't care what it does,I like it ! Regs Bob

Rory
24th December 2012, 03:14
Tonic water seems to be a good mouth refresher for me as well - occasionally strengthened with a bit of Gordon's ! Rum and ginger ale is also good and also ginger beer.

Champagne seems a bit upmarket ( up meerkat) for me but I have been told I can put alcohol through the PEG as long as it is flushed out.

You can have a pint via mouth and a chaser through the PEG at the same time if you are in a hurry !

Rory

berdbrain
24th December 2012, 17:46
A pint of champagne and a chaser is a bit OTT don't you think?

Hah had to laugh out loud at the thought of you trying to do both....and yes I know you meant a pint! With the price of /champagne nowadays though, we can all enjoy it.
It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas...so Merry Christmas to you all XXXXX

Rory
24th December 2012, 20:10
My first wife drove me to drink and I I didn't have the decency to thank her !
Happy days !

Another Turkey advert and I am going down the pub !

Rory

bakeit Forum