PDA

View Full Version : Help with managing anxiety and panic attacks in MND.....

Lola
31st December 2012, 11:28
Hi everyone,

I'm just writing on behalf of my Dad. He has been diagnosed with MND and since this diagnosis he has suffered with debilitating anxiety. He cant do much without become extremely anxious - it's very upsetting to see. He is worried about falling (he is still mobile but had 2 falls this year). He has had symptoms for 7 years and they have remained pretty slow however over the past 6 months, there seems to have been massive changes for Dad i.e. now he doesnt want to be left alone, he doesnt feel safe walking on his own, he doesnt want to go out (accompanied).

He doesnt believe in himself at all and i so want to help He had been prescribed an antidepressant 1 month ago and has been given a Bipap machine 2-3 weeks ago. Interesting things seem to have got a lot worse since he startd the Bipap machine and
i'm not sure whether this is a coincidence....

Is anxiety and panic attacks common in MND? I'd say I'm more worried about this than anything because it's affecting his view of life....

Thank you for listening
Lola

pete
31st December 2012, 11:39
Hi Lola,

Know how your dad feels, For me like many others Knowing your vulnerable is a confidence bashing experience to say the least, For me Having started with a walking stick then upgraded to a Rollator, that in itself takes some courage, but worth the effort, once you get used to going out with it it has made me feel a lot easier , maybe worth a try to see if this restores his confidence, hope so !

Regards
Pete

Rory
31st December 2012, 12:51
Hi Lola
I too suffered some anxiety attacks - my doctor said it was common as the body and mind is going through so much as the illness progresses. I was given a minimal dose of medicine to take and it has worked for me. I only really get 'anxious' if that is the word when I feel breathless as with two recent chest infections. The nippy in my case has helped the sleep pattern - stick with it - it does take time getting used to but it is worth it in my opinion and keeps the lungs in extended use.
Hope this helps
Rory

Shown
1st January 2013, 08:01
Hey Rory well said and i am agreed with you. Its a natural thing that our body and mind feels. I like your suggestion that you gave us. Thanks for this. I am sure it will work.

roy
1st January 2013, 12:17
Hi Rory,

Ive discovered the ID of shown, she is the beautiful daufgter of the great leader wonghunglo.

Lola
1st January 2013, 13:06
Rory - do you mind me asking what medication has been helpful for you. Dad doesnt feel much benefit from the 10mg of citalopram prescibed by his GP....
Lola

Lola
1st January 2013, 13:07
Great - how do i look into getting dad a Rollator?

Lola

MikeFD
1st January 2013, 15:02
Hi Lola,

The Citalopram for anxiety has a kind of cumulative effect and the benefit will only really start to be felt after your Dad's been on it for six to eight weeks. It's 'one a day' and can easily be forgotten if your Dad does start to feel better, so keep an eye on that and don't let him stop taking them.

Also he is on the lowest dosage. Your GP should be checking his progress every four weeks at least, and will have the potential to prescribe a higher dosage once your Dad's initial response to the drug has been assessed.

As far as the rollator is concerned, make enquiries with your Dad's Occupational Therapist or hospital Care team, they should be able to help there. Otherwise speak to MND Connect (link at the top of this page) who will be able to put you intouch with the MND facilities in your area. Your regional care development adviser (RCDA) should be able to help out with info if all else fails.

Look here (http://www.mndassociation.org/getting-support/local-support) for more details.

Best wishes for the New Year,

Mike.

Rory
1st January 2013, 15:30
Lola
I am on ten drops a day of Citalopram - which I feel is a minimum dose. We had to come home about a year ago from our big trip round the world due to my 'anxiety' , feeling uncomfortable / restless. Amazingly the drug seemed to work quite quickly for me and I have had little trouble since. I did not mention the drug earlier as each GP wil prescribe what they feel best for each patient.
I do hope you get the right treatment as it made so much difference to me and we were able to go to Barcelona, Gibraltar, Lake Garda, Lanzarote and Cannes later last year without any trouble.
Best wishes
Rory

Joydy
19th January 2013, 17:15
Hi Lola
I too suffered some anxiety attacks - my doctor said it was common as the body and mind is going through so much as the illness progresses. I was given a minimal dose of medicine to take and it has worked for me. I only really get 'anxious' if that is the word when I feel breathless as with two recent chest infections. The nippy in my case has helped the sleep pattern - stick with it - it does take time getting used to but it is worth it in my opinion and keeps the lungs in extended use.
Hope this helps
Rory

Hi Rory

Would you be kind enough to tell me about the nippy. I think it is a machine to aid breathing at night, but I'm not sure. My husband suffers with anxiety from time to time and we have an appointment at a sleep unit at the end of the month to check on his breathing at night. Many thanks.

Lolly
19th January 2013, 17:38
Sit upright with your arms over the back of a chair. Breathe in slowly counting to 7 as you do. Hold it for 7 seconds (or as long as you're able). Breathe out slowly counting to 7 as you do. Pause. Repeat process for 15 minutes.

You will start to feel better immediately but in 2 hours time, you will feel much much better.
This exercise repeated twice a day helps prevent panic attacks too!

Panic attacks are caused by hyperventilation, ie., breathing too shallowly for too long a time - over-breathing, which elevates CO2 levels. Slowing your breathing down is the goal.

If you are a carer sit in front of your loved one/charge and hold their hands while you do this together and keep very calm and upbeat, as if this is normal. Too much seriousness on your face will trigger more anxiety.

Hth's

Rory
19th January 2013, 17:57
Hi Lola
I was initially advised to have the Ventilator to aid my sleep as I was becoming breathless and was not getting enough oxygen inthe body and also not getting rid of carbon dioxide.. The ' Nippy 3 ' ventilator cured that ( I think most people say it does take a bit of getting used to - as it was a little invasive to me) . The carbon dioxide if not released can cause headaches in the morning. Also the ventilator pushes air in to the lungs and keeps them fully utilised. My breathing has been stable for over a year apart from when I do any any form of exercise as I am getting weaker.
If there is a problem with the Nippy , it is that is dries out the mouth - the other end of the scale where excess saliva and gunge is produced during the day! To help this the doctor / hospital supplied us with a humidifier that attaches to the Nippy so that moist air passes through - it helps a lot.
The appointment with the sleep unit should advise on the oxygen levels and general breathing issues and strength - they will identify any adverse trends for you. As I spend a lot of time downstairs we have been given another machine - it negates the need for my wife to take it upstairs each evening. I use it now quite a lot during the day to recharge my body. I have been told you can't overuse it but I can cope with up to 10 hours without using it some days if I just relax.
I hope this helps - if you require any more info please let me know
I hope your Dad responds to the drugs and is a little more relaxed.
All the nest and take care
Rory
X

louise
20th January 2013, 18:03
Hi Lola
My husband Dan also gets anxious he had a dreadful fall this time last year, he broke 4 ribs punctured a lung and broke his shoulder, since then the anxiety kicked in. His Doctor prescribed Mitazapine for him and they help a little. He also doesn't like to go out on his own, and in fact never does now, but his arms are badly affected so if he falls he can not save himself and goes down like a ton of bricks. I wouldn't say he has panic attacks as such though, but he has times when he just feels he has to get and and move about a bit, takes a few deep breathes and it seems to pass. I f your Dad has only been on the anxiety about a month it may take a little longer for then to kick in fully.
It is horrible for you as I know helpless I feel, I hate it . But hang in there and continue to support your Dad.
I hope the anxiety eases for him. I wish you well.

Joydy
23rd January 2013, 17:17
Hi Rory

This sounds a little silly - but will you tell me if you received a personal reply from me. I think I am doing something wrong but I can't make out what it is!! Sorry to be a pain.

Rory
23rd January 2013, 18:31
Hi Rory

This sounds a little silly - but will you tell me if you received a personal reply from me. I think I am doing something wrong but I can't make out what it is!! Sorry to be a pain.

Hi Joydy

I. Have just sent you a PM. I did receive a PM from you 22/1 @ 12.10.
I hope that is the oe you refer to.
Take care
Rory

bakeit Forum