PDA

View Full Version : IPAD - text to speech app

Jangobie
1st March 2013, 17:31
Can anyone help me with what is the best app for text to speech on the Ipad. Many thanks. Diane

berdbrain
1st March 2013, 17:58
you'll get lots of answers from the lovely people on here ...for my sis the Predictable app on the ipad is wonderful, I believe they have updated the version. If you have any probs you get in touch with them or there is a company on youtube and they reply to questions very quickly..very good
hope this helps
BB X

Rory
1st March 2013, 18:03
Diane
I use "Speak It "
Type in and play speak - easy as that. Volume , speed of delivery amd voice choice controls options.
It even has foreign voice choice !
You can save phrase for future use - like pub names for cab drivers , drink orders for barmaids and instructions for the wife (ooooh eeerrrr - on dodgy ground I feel ! )

Hope this helps

Rory
X

pete
1st March 2013, 19:15
Can anyone help me with what is the best app for text to speech on the Ipad. Many thanks. Diane

Evening Diane,

Have to agree with Rory on this, I have tried several over the last few years and Speak It , is by far the easiest to use, and in my opinion has the nearest to human sounding voices, addional ones are available for under a pound, so just about the cheapest around. But it features more than match very over priced systems ,but like everything else very much down to what you want and how you find it ,good luck

Pete

Smudge
1st March 2013, 20:37
Diane
I use "Speak It "
Type in and play speak - easy as that. Volume , speed of delivery amd voice choice controls options.
It even has foreign voice choice !
You can save phrase for future use - like pub names for cab drivers , drink orders for barmaids and instructions for the wife (ooooh eeerrrr - on dodgy ground I feel ! )

Hope this helps

Rory
X

John has the Speak It app and it's excellent. Like you, he has a few useful sentences stored, including his favourite - 'make me a coffee, bitch' :mad:

Rory
1st March 2013, 20:49
Diane, Smudge
As Chrissy knows, a good phrase to have ready stored is -
"I am not b....... deaf !"

Rory

Jangobie
1st March 2013, 22:03
Thanks for the replies everyone. I knew I could rely on you for the best advice. I am not sure how many phrases I will let him put on there, he already has a bell for when he is on the ventilator!!!!! Although his speech is still reasonable, I wanted to be prepared and get him used to the app for when he has to use and also to rest his voice.

Thanks again. Diane

Rory
2nd March 2013, 09:37
Diane
I do not know the amount of phrases you can have on the Speak It app but I have over 200 (still growingn) and that covers all the pubs I go to , all the drink variations, a few limericks, jokes, medical history, chat up lines, insults, instructions for the missus, and general banter !
You can also rearrange them in any order you like.
In a way, I wish I had lost my voice earlier in life !
If you insult someone - blame it on the machine !

Take care

Rory
X

Terry
2nd March 2013, 12:49
Hi Rory;
I agree with you about using a speech machine, you can get away with so much more. It normally comes out a bit funny and with the SL40 Lightwriter the person opposite can read what you type so you don’t have to say it. It all so has a second conversation mode, with allows you to say something different to what’s shown on the front, excellent for insults and sarcasm. And it is not you saying it, “it’s the machines fault”.
I have written comments on a person nearby for someone to read privately and then go to delete and press the speak button by mistake so everyone hears, Whoops.
When I stay at the hospice, some of the nurses borrow it to give them and other people a laugh.
The Lightwriter’s seem to have a lot of different problems so an I Pad might be better.
I am similar to Rory with regards to the machine, I say things that I never would have said and try to be humorous.
Smile and you can get away with most things, Terry

Rory
2nd March 2013, 14:26
Spot on Terry !
Where are you in Suffolk ?
Rory

Jangobie
2nd March 2013, 14:29
Hi Rory and Terry,

It sounds like these machines are far too much fun. I can see I am going to have to moderate the saved phrases for Eddy (I won't be so finger happy as the MNDA though) I will let him have a few that are a bit naughty. Thanks for the replies guys you always make me laugh, don't know why but this week has seemed particularly hard for me so it is good to have a bit of a giggle. Diane

Rory
2nd March 2013, 14:54
Diane
I hope you have supplied Eddy with a bell in every room .
It compliments the iPad and also keeps your figure in trim !

Rory

Terry
2nd March 2013, 15:07
Yeah, Remote door bells are good as are walkie talkies. They all keep our other halves running around until we abuse them too much and the batteries are removed. I live about 8 miles West of Ipswich Rory and no, I am not the one last supporter in the stands.
Regards Terry

bakeit Forum