View Full Version : Alarm system for falls

13th March 2013, 21:19
Hello, my mum has MND and has had several falls when she has been in her house on her own. We are looking for some kind of panic alarm she could use to contact me or other family members for help if she falls and can't get up. She is not keen on the care call system as number one she can't speak any more and number two she doesn't like the idea of people she doesn't know possibly coming to the house.
Can anyone recommend a good solution?
Bess :)

13th March 2013, 21:58
Hi Bess,

We had a care call system in our home and Irene couldn't speak but could activate a call. The call centre recognised the number , knew she couldn't speak and rang the responder numbers. The local warden came and introduced herself when the system was installed and reassured Irene and never let her down. I worked fairly close to home so was generally first home but knew someone would be there if I couldn't be.


13th March 2013, 22:02
Thanks John, that's really reassuring. I'll have a further look into a care call type service. Bess:)

13th March 2013, 22:10
|Hi Bess;
There is a system that has a button that can be hung on a pendent around the neck that, if pressed will activate their control who first ringing the owners number. If no answer they will then ring your or another persons number and so on as you can have a number contacts on their list. They will then tell the person that the alarm has been activated and that there is no answer there. It costs quite a bit, in the region of 20 per month. My mother in law has it and it works quite well. It is probably the same system as the one John is describing.
Best wishes, Terry

13th March 2013, 23:35
Hi Terry,

Sounds the same - arranged through the local council and as you say 20 per month. Choice of pendant or wrist button. I bought a mobile phone that was always with me and only the call centre had the number so it would never be engaged and I knew straight away if it rang who it was.


14th March 2013, 11:57
Another alternative for someone who cannot speak but can send a text and needs to call the emergency services is to register a mobile phone
with emergencySMS. To do this - text the word register and send to 999. This will register the phone and then it can be used in an emergency by calling 999. www.emergencysms.org.uk for more information

14th March 2013, 19:53
Thanks Terry, that's really useful. I actually picked up a leaflet today about this type of service which our council runs. I'm going to have a chat with them tomorrow and mum seems happier now I've been able to tell her that other people have found care call useful.
Thanks again, Bess

14th March 2013, 19:54
Hi Miranda, that sounds like a good idea. Thank you. :)

14th March 2013, 22:03

I have a falls pager detector, pendant, smoke alarm and CO2 detector and two emergency pull cords sourced via the local Social Services OT and funded by Kent County Council. At the moment I dont pay for the service but I would! They know when the pager battery was low and changed it last week. I would ask your SS O/T to see if they can assist?


15th March 2013, 10:08
Thanks Scott. Im going to call the OT and social services and see what they can offer. the systems I've seen for sale online are expensive and I'm not sure how efficient they would be.
cheers, Bess :)

17th March 2013, 14:03
thanks for the sms text info Miranda

bakeit Forum