PDA

View Full Version : a computer for my dad

SophieM
28th March 2013, 20:07
Dear all,

My dad has MND and is no longer able to use his computer. We have now bought him a tablet computer (Galaxay Samsung) in the hope that it might make it easier for him, but his hands have deteriorated so much that he can't swipe the page any longer.
I wonder what else he could use - it is so terribly sad.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Best wishes to all of you,

Sophie

fishmate12
28th March 2013, 21:11
Hi Sophie,

Would he be able to use a small mouse, his hand can sort of "cup round it"--only needing to click

Ray

SophieM
29th March 2013, 13:22
Hi Ray,

Thank you for your message - that is worth trying! Appreciate your advice.

All the best,
Sophie

Terry
29th March 2013, 21:10
Hi Sophie;
Did not reply yesterday because I thought that there were other people better qualified than me on the subject.
I would contact Mnda Connect and look at the information sheet "Speech and Communications"
A booklet with advice on how MND affects speech and communication and an outline of the communication aids available.
There are many other ways of using a laptop. Many computers can run a switch program that allows you to use speech, write emails and much more. It is quite slow as it operates on one switch. I think that Stephen Hawkin now uses one that is triggered by his cheek muscle.
Another program uses a reflector that is put on something, maybe a hat, this moves the curser around and when it is left in the same place for a short period of time, it triggers that command.
Eyeglaze is available and is much better but comes at a huge cost.
My people use other things to communicate, ask your speech and language therapist for ideas and help.
Ability Net might provide help and equipment and soft ware for your to use a computer.
Hope this helps, love Terry

SophieM
30th March 2013, 13:04
Thank you very much, Terry, for this very helpful information. I will follow it up!
Really appreciate your help!

S.

Andrew
1st April 2013, 16:48
Hi Sophie,

Just a quick follow up to Terry's post; here is a link to our Speech and Communication information sheet:

http://www.mndassociation.org/Resources/MNDA/Life%20with%20MND/PG%20Speech%20and%20Comms.pdf

Best wishes,

Andrew

SophieM
2nd April 2013, 09:34
Thank you very much Andrew - I very much appreciate your help.

Best wishes,
S

Jules
19th April 2013, 22:05
Smart nav is a cheaper version of the eye gaze systems if you have a little head control. It tracks a sticky dot which you have on a hat or stick to your glasses, or if you don't wear glasses on a pair of glasses frames with no glass in. As you look at something on the screen your head moves slightly and the smart nav camera picks this up and moves the mouse to the place you are looking at. When you look at one spot (eg a button on the screen) for the given time (eg 2 seconds) it clicks (the same as if you have pressed the mouse button). So you can then move the mouse, perform mouse clicks and using an onscreen keyboard type away. Combine it with a remote control system (I think they might plug into your usb) you can turn on radios lights and control all sort of electronic things too.
MND used to have some they loaned out.

mitenp
24th April 2013, 17:15
I wonder what else he could use

Hi Sophie,

Recently came across an application called CameraMouse2013 which can move the mouse by tracking head movement. It works on Windows machines using a webcam, we have it running on a laptop which has a front facing webcam built in.

The software is free and on the site (http://www.cameramouse.org/) there are links to various keyboards and application suites that can be used with it, all of these are free as well. Having just implemented CameraMouse, we are currently using DynamicKeyboard to type out words & sentences. Its a little basic however right now the focus is to improve accuracy & speed. In time I'm hoping we can use more functional applications such as SueCenter or Click-N-Type.

Hope that helps and happy to discuss further on how we are getting on

Regards

Andrew
24th April 2013, 17:35
Hi Sophie,

Recently came across an application called CameraMouse2013 which can move the mouse by tracking head movement. It works on Windows machines using a webcam, we have it running on a laptop which has a front facing webcam built in.

The software is free and on the site (http://www.cameramouse.org/) there are links to various keyboards and application suites that can be used with it, all of these are free as well. Having just implemented CameraMouse, we are currently using DynamicKeyboard to type out words & sentences. Its a little basic however right now the focus is to improve accuracy & speed. In time I'm hoping we can use more functional applications such as SueCenter or Click-N-Type.

Hope that helps and happy to discuss further on how we are getting on

Regards

Hi all,

Proceed with caution with this post. Link is genuine (and works) but the post may well be an advert.

Have kept the post up because the software may be of interest.

Best wishes,

Andrew

bakeit Forum