PDA

View Full Version : Eat, Drink and Be Healthy is the Motto in ALS

MattJ
3rd March 2011, 14:25
Hi all,

Another good article from the ALS magazine website:

http://alsn.mda.org/article/eat-drink-and-be-healthy-motto-als

Sounds like maintaining weight is key to living longer.

Matt

Arthur
3rd March 2011, 16:51
Hi Matt
Thanks for link, I was deferring the Peg but losing weight and nutrients to the brain is very important.
Thanks
Arthur

miranda
5th March 2011, 16:46
Hi Matt
The advice in the article is the same given to me when first diagnosed. My weight is stable and I love the excuse to have cream! ~Seriously though, I use cream or yoghurt or creme fraich with a lot of my meals. 'They help it all slide down and stop me gagging or choking. However, I do have an excessive amount of saliva and guess this is probably made worse by all the dairy products in my diet. Any thoughts anybody?

MattJ
6th March 2011, 11:32
Hi Miranda,

If you don't mind me asking, when were you diagnosed? Sounds like this article might be old news rehashed as new. Or finally confirmed as being helpful. My mum initially found it hard to eat high fat foods as she was never a big fan before. One of a few I think! She also suffers from IBS so had to watch what she ate before. It has taken her a good few months to get use to eating more yoghurt's, milkshakes, ice cream, cakes and complan.

I would love to know if there are any natural ways to combat excess saliva. She has started to say it is getting to the point of nearly spilling over her bottom lip!

Best regards,
Matt

miranda
6th March 2011, 13:06
Hi Matt
Sounds like your Mum and I are having identical problems. I was diagnosed almost four years ago with MND (PLS diagnosis about 2 years ago). I love your Mum's description of losing saliva - much more refined that mine. If I so much as bend over without thinking of swallowing first, there is an overflow!! Very embarrassing. But it could be worse, I am grateful that my symptoms are not so bad as some. I was given the high fat foods advice by the dietitian.

MattJ
6th March 2011, 19:56
Hi Miranda and all,

Do you or does anyone else know if there are any procedures in place that allow Neurologist to change the type of MND a person has? Is it just a case that progression is very slow? You're not the first person I have read that has had their type of MND changed to PLS. Bizarre as it sounds but I would be pleased if my mum's type was changed to PLS as according to the MNDA website lifespan can essentially be normal.

Best regards,
Matt

miranda
7th March 2011, 12:14
Hi Matt

I will ask at my next visit to see the consultant - in July. Miranda

computatec
7th March 2011, 23:20
Hi Matt

I drink around half a bottle of red wine per day. I have done this for the past 15 years. Of course, it is just for the antioxidents and and othere health benefits that I drink it! It was a great relief to find that I was allowed and encouraged to continue with this after my diagnosis.

One problem with food is that it can become boring if you do not work at planning menus and keeping a good variety of stuff in the pantry. Sometimes the motivation to prepare a proper meal is not always there and a quick sanwich is substituted instead.

Clive

Jacqui Priestley
9th March 2011, 18:06
I don't think this is proven but on Monday my speech therapist recommended pineapple juice & papaya for excess saliva. You can buy these as juices at the supermarket so I've just started. I mix them for a refreshing drink at breakfast. I'll let you know how I get on as it's only Day 2.

MattJ
10th March 2011, 14:56
Hi Jacqui,

It would be useful to know if it helps as my mum was interested in any natural solution to help combat excess saliva.

Matt

computatec
10th March 2011, 19:40
I don't think this is proven but on Monday my speech therapist recommended pineapple juice & papaya for excess saliva.

That is quite interesting Jacqui, because papaya has some unusual enzymes in it and it is used in meat tenderising preparations.

Clive

G60dubber
10th March 2011, 20:35
Fresh pineapple is high in natural enzymes which are excellent anti-inflammatories if you have a chest infection / bronchitis. It seem to clear that thick phlegmy feeling in the throat n chest when your ill in this manner so may have the same 'cutting' effect on excess / thick saliva.

Graham
10th March 2011, 22:33
Hi All,

My hospital recommended pineapple to break mucus. The effects are short term. I believe apple juice is similar in effect.

Best wishes

Graham

miranda
12th March 2011, 12:04
I raised this with my speech therapist yesterday. She says that pineapple and citrus fruits can help thin the saliva but this can sometimes mean there is an increase in the quantity. Another solution to the saliva problem that has been suggested to me is Botox injections into the saliva glands, this has to be repeated every 3 months and is not suitable for everyone. I have also been prescribed Atropine eye drops which are placed under the tongue (seriously!!) but did not have much success with these. I also asked why it is that sometimes I find that drinking plain water is more likely to set me off coughing than other drinks. Apparently because water is so 'thin' it can more easily go down the trachea than other thicker fluids. I seem to be better if I add some fruit juice to water and other drinks are OK most of the time.

bakeit Forum