PDA

View Full Version : upper motor neurone syndrome

graeme54
29th July 2013, 12:22
I saw a neurologist as I had a weakness on the left handside,the neurologist says I have the above.can you advise me exactly what I have and is it MND and what are the implications.

please help

Andrew
29th July 2013, 13:04
I saw a neurologist as I had a weakness on the left handside,the neurologist says I have the above.can you advise me exactly what I have and is it MND and what are the implications.

please help

Hello Graeme,

Welcome to the forum. I would strongly suggest giving our MND Connect service a call. They will be able to answer any questions you may have about your meeting with the neurologist.

They are available on 08457 626262 or you can e-mail mndconnect@mndassociation.org.

Best wishes,

Andrew

pete
29th July 2013, 14:07
Hi Graeme 54,

welcome to the forum and so sorry you have the need to be here, MND is a generic term that covers many variant conditions ,it is very much a long road to diagnosis and that involves quite a few tests that rule out other conditions that can and often become confused with MND , after that set of tests you will finally know what type and what the prognosis is as that can vary widely from person to person as can the disease affect you differently to another person ,so have you had any tests yet ,and did they mention a type or form ,what is the norm is to be prescribed the one and only approved medicine that delays onset in some cases.

Regards
Pete

Terry
29th July 2013, 16:47
Hi Graeme;
As Pete says, welcome to the forum but sorry that you find yourself here.
I am no expert so I could be wrong but I believe that Upper motor neurones points towards PLS rather than ALS. PLS is normally slower to develop.
Best wishes, Terry

Toppers
29th July 2013, 19:05
Hi Graeme,
I have PLS and I have problems with the upper neurones as the doctor says. Looking back I had issues for a few years before I realised that I had problems but none of it added up until I was diagnosed just over 3 years ago. Since I've been diagnosed I am still working and doing most of what I used to but slower and more careful due to falls and balance issues. Sorry that you need to be here and you really need to wait until they have diagnosed you before jumping to conclusions.
When I found out on the first appointment that I had neurological problems, the first thing I did with no proper diagnosis was look up on the internet and self diagnose that I had MND, but it turned out I was right.
Any questions then just ask.

Pete

bakeit Forum