PDA

View Full Version : iPad advice please

Quink
9th September 2013, 20:04
I am posting on behalf of a very good friend of mine who was recently diagnosed. He has very restricted mobility but can still use a mouse, with difficulty, and has increasingly serious problems with speech. The association said that iPad apps might help - does anyone have any advice about what they have found effective? All advice most welcome.

pete
9th September 2013, 20:42
hi Quink,

To be honest there are a few aps that do work well, The one I have found to be simple and effective is Speak It, not only is it very cheap under two pounds, but it does exactly what is needed, with voices that don't sound like a synthesised voice ,and a big store of user phrases to store on the left side of the screen for easy access. Pretty much the best around in my view , there are several variants the one I found best is the orange coloured one hope this helps

Quink
9th September 2013, 20:54
Hi Pete,

Thank you for replying, going to try it now. Really appreciate the advice.

Rachel

hi Quink,

To be honest there are a few aps that do work well, The one I have found to be simple and effective is Speak It, not only is it very cheap under two pounds, but it does exactly what is needed, with voices that don't sound like a synthesised voice ,and a big store of user phrases to store on the right side of the screen for easy access. Pretty much the best around in my view , there are several variants the one I found best is the orange coloured one hope this helps

Frank
9th September 2013, 21:45
Speakit and Talkadroid are both great value.
I use Speakit for short conversation and Talkadroid for lengthy speech at work.
Mainly because you can put pretyped documents or PDFs in, so it's good for meetings.
The other good thing to use is a good predictive type app, I use SwiftKey.
It really speeds up the process, and learns your way of 'talking', which becomes very weird indeed.
xx Frank

koolsilver
10th September 2013, 01:09
Try Claro, this a a great App works on the iPhone and iPad it instinctive type so that if you have to type anything you find the word already ther after you have typed a couple of letters, and lots of on board ready to speak phases, there stored in 25 categories, it costs 9.99 for the ClaroCom Pro version, this is App I would recommend.
It is better on the iPad but still really usable on the iPhone

magic
10th September 2013, 19:22
Our Speech and language therapist has left an iPad with 'prploco2go' on. It looks really promising. Consider contacting Abilitynet' a national org. For people with disability.
Magic

Quink
10th September 2013, 20:14
Thank you so much for all the recommendations I have had. I am going to download them all and see if any of them work for Alex when I see him - will report back.
Really struck by what a lovely supportive place this forum is - thanks again.

Hazelnut
17th October 2013, 14:39
Pete,

A quick question.

I have used Speakit on my daughters IPAD and was impressed - but she is now back in Australia

I am about to bu an Ipad as my speech is now unintellible to all but close family. Will the ipad work using speakit if I am out of the house and not on Wifi?

What I am asking is is the app installed on the ipad or does is need wifi or a network to work?

pete
17th October 2013, 15:21
Hi Hazelnut,

Yep it don't need anything once it is downloaded onto your iPad , works anywhere you want to use it . The only time you will need a network is to update the software or add voices ,but apart from that enjoy !!!

Regards
Pete

miranda
17th October 2013, 15:58
Just a thought - the iPad is quite heavy. The mini iPad is much lighter and much easier to hold if your arms are weak.

pete
17th October 2013, 16:34
hi Miranda,

Great minds and all that!!, I have been making a Bracket to fit to my Electric chair ,well that's if it ever arrives ,to hold my iPad , but your suggestion would be a lot easier to keep stable ,thanks a million ,saved me from more work .

Pete

Hazelnut
17th October 2013, 22:25
Miranda

I looked in the Apple shop and decided the Ipad MIni was more practical - slightly smaller but all the same functionality

Take Care

Geraldine

bakeit Forum