PDA

View Full Version : please help

Sorcha
26th November 2013, 09:28
my mother in law has mnd shes 3years diagnosed and 1 year of symptoms previous myself and my husband are wondering if mnd is hereditary? we worry for my husband my son and my twins on the way.i realise there may not be answers and nothing can be proved but we would like to hear your opinions if you can answer or give your views we'd be very greatful. Thank you for reading

Tangie
26th November 2013, 12:57
my mother in law has mnd shes 3years diagnosed and 1 year of symptoms previous myself and my husband are wondering if mnd is hereditary? we worry for my husband my son and my twins on the way.i realise there may not be answers and nothing can be proved but we would like to hear your opinions if you can answer or give your views we'd be very greatful. Thank you for reading

From what I have read MND can be hereditary. But if there is no other history of it within the family it is more likely to be a one off sporadic case. My brave mum was diagnosed 2 and a half years ago and there is no family history of it whatsoever. From different sources I have been led to believe I have an increased 10 per cent chance of developing it myself. Of course anything could happen and this may not be the case at all. Pease try not to worry and take each day as it comes. Easier said than done but the nature of this illness.

Andrew
26th November 2013, 19:54

Hi Sorcha,

Welcome to the forum. You may already be aware, but the Association has some information on 'Is MND inherited?'. Our website and information sheets include details on research, care and support on this topic. You can find more here. (http://www.mndassociation.org/life-with-mnd/newly-diagnosed/is-mnd-inherited)

Our MND Connect team will also be able to help. They are available on 08457 626262 or by email on mndconnect@mndassociation.org

Best wishes,

Andrew

bakeit Forum