PDA

View Full Version : Feeding tube feeds

Helen
29th December 2013, 12:10
Hi
My dad has top up shakes at the moment through his feeding tube (rig) but is in need of proper 'meals' now. I think he might struggle with it over night as he gets up a lot and already has his ventilator mask on. Does anyone know if there any 'quick meals' he can have? Thanks :)

Cookewitch
29th December 2013, 21:35
I'm afraid not. My dad has the overnight pump which works for him. He does get up two or three times for a wee (as the bags under my eyes are testament to) but doesn't walk around as we use a urine bottle.

Have you asked MNDA Connect or the suppliers of the feeds you current have?

Helen
29th December 2013, 22:18
Thanks, I guess its a case of finding what works for you. I think the Nutritionalist will give some more advise in the new year, i was just hoping to hear of some alternatives before then! Thanks :)

Cookewitch
30th December 2013, 12:18
The pump can be used for feeding during the day time too. You can get little rucksacks to carry them in rather than the stand that is used at night....there are also bolus feeds which you syringe through but I've no experience of them.

I'm sure there are lots of alternatives out there and you'll get help coming up with the best solution.

berdbrain
31st December 2013, 13:01
Hi all, with the bolus or self tube feeding you must be careful that you only put the feed through slowly otherwise the person will bring it right back up again..not nice....and don't forget to ask the dietician about powdered milk which doubles the calories...it's for young children who have peg feeds for a variety of reasons but not generally passed onto to MND peg users and I don't know why because it seemed to me to be a really good way of bulking up and being easy on the tummy,
good luck
XXXXDebbieXXXX

Helen
2nd January 2014, 23:27
That's useful to know thanks. I Will pass that info on to my mum and dad. At the. Omen the has probably got thrush in his mouth, and his tube and the site of the tube insertion - somehow? So has been told to hold back on the milk, o goodness knows how he will be able to keep up the calories :0/:confused:

Andrew
3rd January 2014, 12:21
That's useful to know thanks. I Will pass that info on to my mum and dad. At the. Omen the has probably got thrush in his mouth, and his tube and the site of the tube insertion - somehow? So has been told to hold back on the milk, o goodness knows how he will be able to keep up the calories :0/:confused:

Hi Helen,

I would suggest giving our MND Connect team a call about this today. They have lots of information about managing the rig site and avoiding risk of infection. From what I understand, milk should not be causing any problems to the rig site.

Connect are available on 08457 626262 or on mndconnect@mndassociation.org.

Best wishes,

Andrew

miranda
3rd January 2014, 16:22
I too had thrush (candida) in my tube site and stomach and eventually it cleared up with antibiotics but it took more than one attempt. I was not told to avoid milk.

Helen
7th January 2014, 22:29
Thank you for the advice. Thrush being treated by the GP after hosp told him to wait a week for results - ggrrrr!!! Everything seems like such a battle! Thanks again

bakeit Forum