PDA

View Full Version : What I've discovered (3): Powerchairs, an elevating experience?

Robin142857
29th April 2011, 17:23
I'm keen to tell this little story because my discovery of powerchairs made a huge difference to my domestic limitations. Mind you, I'm not exactly sure about what exactly separates a powered wheelchair from a powerchair. However...

I was faced with either giving up my kitchen activities or finding a way to do them at wheelchair level. One day I noticed a wheelchair-like vehicle quite unlike any wheelchair I had seen - if that makes sense?

The difference was that this new beast, labelled a powerchair, had a powered rise and fall function which lifted the seat by eight inches. The mechanism works on a single column, so the chair, with a single central stem, looks quite unlike the usual meccano beasts. And then, the chair I bought also has a comfy captain's seat with moveable armrsets and a fibreglass fairing with a glossy burgundy finish. Joy of joys, it doesn't look as if it was built for invalids, if you know what I mean.

Well, if you are currently suffering a wheelchair at the usual low level, you'll understand my happiness. I had inspected reduced-height kitchens but could not afford the cost, and now - the solution. I elevate in the kitchen and descend in the diner! I can cook on normal height worktops and eat at normal height tables, all on my powerchair. Wonderful.

I bought a Rascal Turnabout 312. After 3 months I'm still a happy bunny. I don't know if there are any other elevating powerchairs out there - I expect there are. There is one unexpected benefit to report, though. I'm losing the last of my leg muscles quite quickly now and have started to find transferring from chair to chair or chair to bed etc a problem. The powerchair seems to offer a solution because, I find, transfers where you lose height are much easier than level or upwards transfers. All I need do is arrange that my chair height is mid-way up the powerchair's range so that I can always transfer down from maximum height to my lounge chair and then, after lowering the powerchair, transfer down again to it from my lounge chair.

If you are interested in this powerchair (I am NOT promoting it) you'll find more detail at http://www.electricmobility.co.uk/Product.aspx?SubProdId=28&ProductID=37

computatec
29th April 2011, 22:48
Hi Robin,

You have found a very good solution to your problems with that chair. I am at a similar stage of progression as you and I have had to find a power chair. I bought a Pride Jazzy Select and I am very pleased with it. There is also another model with an electric rising seat, but it does not rotate like yours. I was able to buy mine new for 1245 while the rising seat is 100 more. I think the seat on yours may be better than mine.

My Jazzy is superbly controllable and compact enough to fit in my Renault Scenic. I have had a two way electric hoist fitted to the Renault so my wife can load and unload the chair single handed.

Clive

James Carter
7th May 2011, 00:52
I would assume there is nothing more disheartening than not being able to do normal things in life such as cook. I have seen others around using these powerchairs but never realized they had movable seats such as this one. I will have to relay the information here to a close friend of mine. Thanks for the link!

Robin142857
7th May 2011, 10:04
James,

Be warned that the rising seat is not available on all powerchairs - on mine it is an optional extra. And I have now discovered that some standard powered wheelchairs can be bought with an elevating seat, although the powerchair model, with its compact design, seems better adapted to chopping onions!!

kev w
7th May 2011, 15:11
hya there i am kevin from s, yorkshire
My illness stage is now were i carnt transfer, a power chair is no good now.
Iam waiting for a electric wheel chair. if i go out i carnt access the toilets unless there is a powered hoist. so limited to were i can go .

Jeannie
7th May 2011, 16:05
Hi Kevin, if you're only using public toilets for urination maybe you could possibly use a urine bottle? or if that's too awkward maybe a condom catheter http://www.drugs.com/cg/how-to-care-for-your-condom-catheter.html

bakeit Forum