PDA

View Full Version : Getting a quickie salsa, any suggestions?

ccvsd
5th February 2014, 10:24
Hello,

Wheelchair services have identified a quickie salsa as an ideal power chair for me.

On the forum, I notice that someone a couple of years ago paid for some additional mods such as larger wheels, faster speed and a riser function.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experience with this chair. It looks neat. Especially wondering what it is like as an outdoors chair and wav considerations. And whether it's worth trying to get a riser function.

I've bought myself a second hand genie which is great, I use the riser function a lot but could do with a bit more recline.

Terry, have you got this genie/salsa set up?

Ellie
5th February 2014, 16:01
And there's me thinking you had a hot date with a hunky dance instructor!
x

Terry
5th February 2014, 17:05
Hi ccvsd;

I am some what a hoarder of wheelchair. The wheelchair services gave me a quick y--------------------------------------- salsa, which is OK. But with all none standup wheelchairs it is incredibly hard to get out of without something solid to pull on. If it is your only chair then being able to go higher is handy especially when among people as they don't see you when low.

I have a genie as well, no not the type that comes out of a bottle. The genie should stand up, recline, lay flatish and raise.

If you want a wheelchair to go on grass then the above standard ones won't be much use.

Hope this helps, love Terry

PS:- They call some of the disabled things some really perhaps inappropriate names. I am no quick person and I can't dance much.

ccvsd
5th February 2014, 19:15
Thanks Terry, I was hoping to go on grass. I'm going to hate spring if I finally get a ramp to get outside but still can't go to the park with the dog and children.

I'll have to put my thinking cap on again. I've got an engineer coming to set up my genie tomorrow. And It's sounding like the salsa might be as useful to me as a dance lesson at the moment!

pete
5th February 2014, 19:18
Hello,

Wheelchair services have identified a quickie salsa as an ideal power chair for me.

On the forum, I notice that someone a couple of years ago paid for some additional mods such as larger wheels, faster speed and a riser function.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experience with this chair. It looks neat. Especially wondering what it is like as an outdoors chair and wav considerations. And whether it's worth trying to get a riser function.

I've bought myself a second hand genie which is great, I use the riser function a lot but could do with a bit more recline.

Terry, have you got this genie/salsa set up?

Hi ,
yes just had mine, and yes it is a very good piece of kit, being an engineer by trade it is extremely well put together and has a good rate of speed , mine is the M model signifying mid wheel drive four castor wheels so a six wheeler !!!, it is by miles better than the Hula model they supplied at first a budget chair ,no doubt due to cost cutting ,as the range has a varied assortment of add ons all I think can be retro fitted as and if needed, mine cane with recline and a better comfort back so it is comfortable ,hope this is of some help.
What I agree with our Terry, is so far I have not seen any NHS wheelchair that is even remotely capable off a reasonable surface ,the wheelchair fitter told me that the scheme was set up for indoor use initially and outdoor as a secondary requirement, the Salsa is no all terrain chair it's merits are ability to turn in it's own length and good traction as you sit above the drive wheels that do have a load of grip, but with smaller castors front and rear no use on soft surfaces they just dig in ,and the weight of two heavy duty batteries increases the ranges but also the weight, I was going the voucher route ,but no all districts offer them.
Pete

ccvsd
5th February 2014, 21:53
Thanks Pete, you and Terry have been immensely helpful in the absence of a magic wand to get a great chair which can do everything. I might phone a supplier to see if there is anything like bigger wheels which might help me.

bakeit Forum