PDA

View Full Version : Call Centres

Derek
10th February 2014, 11:11
Hello.
I wonder if anyone can help. Everyday around about midday a call centre rings me. It might be Indian or Pakistan.Every time they ask for Mr or Mrs Allan. As soon as we say they don't live here they hang up. We have tried lots of ways to get them not to hang up but they always hang up before we can tell them they have the wrong number. Mr and Mrs Allan live in Deercroft Avenue in Huddersfield,Yorkshire. We know this because we had another call centre ring us who did listen and told us where they lived. Our phone number and Mrs Allans phone number is one digit different to ours. This has been going on for 3 years. We are ex directory and we have done all the things to stop cold calling with BT. Apart from changing our phone number we can't do anymore. How can we stop this ignorant foreign call centre from ringing us? Ideas please.
Derek

BUTTERNUT
10th February 2014, 11:29
hi Derek i have the same thing happening to me although its not every day , the ask for a mr or mrs Frisken mine has been going on for over a year now when i tell them those people don't live here they don't believe me , i bought a new phone and i can block some international nuisance calls but now when they call its withheld , so i have put all contacts names in my phone and unless there name comes up i don't answer , if its important they will leave a message . sorry haven't really been much help . good luck butternut

Cookewitch
10th February 2014, 11:33
I don't think there is an answer. You can sign up to TPS the Telephone Preference Service which is supposed to stop these things but it's as much use as a chocolate fireguard and they have no 'teeth' to prosecute when the call centres do break the rules.

You can also report them to the ICO whose e-mail address is on the TPS website. They're also pretty toothless. I have the exact same problem and I've taken to blowing a whistle down the phone at them.....the calls have reduced somewhat since then but my cat's aren't very keen!

Andrew
10th February 2014, 11:39
I don't think there is an answer. You can sign up to TPS the Telephone Preference Service which is supposed to stop these things but it's as much use as a chocolate fireguard and they have no 'teeth' to prosecute when the call centres do break the rules.

You can also report them to the ICO whose e-mail address is on the TPS website. They're also pretty toothless. I have the exact same problem and I've taken to blowing a whistle down the phone at them.....the calls have reduced somewhat since then but my cat's aren't very keen!

A quick look on Google throws up this article from BT, which includes things such as TPS, as Cookewitch has pointed out:

http://www.bt.com/includingyou/calling-easier-unwanted-calls.html#more1

Best wishes,

Andrew

magic
10th February 2014, 14:10
I have TPS but it can seem like a chocolate fire guard at times. Nuisance calls always gone at the most inconvenient times and we have plenty of them. Wish they did get. Penalty every time they rang a TPS number.

Magic

john
10th February 2014, 14:49
Hi Derek,

Have you tried saying I'll see if I can find them and leaving the phone for 15 or 20 minutes. You then go back and say sorry they don't seem to be here. They might just put a note in their file and stop bothering you. If not you have the satisfaction of knowing you have wasted their time more than vice versa.
Have you wondered if Mr or Mrs Allen have given a wrong number deliberately so they don't get the nuisance calls you now get. I view them all as an opportunity for entertainment rather than a nuisance. Far more fun and better for the blood pressure!!

John

ccvsd
10th February 2014, 15:14
I like John's idea. It reminds me of Bill Bryson's tip for stopping junk mail - open up a used tea bag and empty the contents into the free reply envelope. Then post it back. Simple. We tried returning shredded paper to companies, that seemed to work well too.

john
10th February 2014, 16:48
ccvsd,
Junk mail you just collect until you can fill the largest envelope you have. Attach any of the junk mails senders pre paid reply envelopes to the large envelope and pop it in the post. Wastes the time of Royal Mail who sent you the rubbish in the first place and aggravates the people who receive all your junk mail. Very satisfying.

John

Smudge
10th February 2014, 21:14
I'm with John on this one - they are free entertainment, play with them and then put them down. One of my favourites is to put the phone on loud speaker and walk away, then I try and guess how many times they'll say 'hello' before they give up. Double glazing sales? Tell them you are interested in a conservatory then give your address - 3rd floor flat.... I can guarantee you won't get to the end of the fake address!
All junk mail is returned individually in their own pre paid envelopes, and if they don't provide them I put a sticker use the same one they sent but put a sticker and no stamp.
You've gotta get your pleasure where you can these days :-)

magic
10th February 2014, 22:24
Smudge, I will make the time to follow your example.
Mabic

john
10th February 2014, 22:53
Hi Wendy,

I have not worked out a response for the automated messages yet. You never get a real person and they play their message ,wait for a response and then hang up. No fun at all that I can see but if you have a way please share.

John

Derek
11th February 2014, 15:20
Thank you all for your messages and tips. My wife and I had a good laugh at some of the things you do. We are with BTs TPS and as you say it is pretty useless. We will put junk mail back into prepaid envelopes and return them with as much rubbish as we can find. We will try having a conversation and try using Johns idea or something similiar.
Thank you all once again.
Derek

bakeit Forum