PDA

View Full Version : B*******y Health and safety

Jangobie
19th March 2014, 13:18
Sorry but I don't usually have a rant but today I feel really fed up and just want to go in a corner and scream.

Ed's physio arranged for a visit from the OT. We were so delighted with everything she was going to do even supplying the ramps inside and out so Ed can get into the garden. It was all arranged very quickly and the ramps arrived, the internal ones are great and the external one was put down but she was unsure whether the gradient was too much for the ramp, we tried it and it was fine, we had a phone call this morning to say that they would have to collect the 6 foot ramp as she had discussed this with her supervisor and she said the damp would have to be collected. I rang MND Connect for their advice and all they said was that they would not go against the OT on advice and the lady actually said I am not really much help am I. It would need a ramp 12 foot long into the garden and they would not be able to do this but said if we wanted to have something built there could be a chance of getting a grant.

I will just have to use the metal ramp which is 2 foot shorter and quite a bit heavier if I want to get Ed out of the house at all. It seems really unfair.

Rant over just going to find a corner.

Have a good day everyone. Love Diane

ccvsd
19th March 2014, 13:33
How disappointing! I know they are bound by legislation, but as soon as they make life difficult by removing something adequate, we end up using worse solutions out of necessity.

pete
19th March 2014, 14:08
Hi Diane,
Yep been there, and I spent a long time in that same corner !!, you wouldn't credit the absolute stupidity of the ones who are so scared of claims against them common-sense goes out the window.
We have a step that's 13 inches high that according to HSE needs a ramp longer than our garage ,despite the fact that's pure b******y stupid the rise up was well within the chairs ability to climb at half the length they said was what was acceptable !so I can understand your frustration only to well! despite me going into my rant via the iPad this genius wouldn't budge from his decision!I explained though he had time to waste we didn't ?, the long and short of it is ,ideally we all live in property that's perfectly designed should we become disabled at some time , fitting ramps would be no problem.
So 2 inches of height is costing us around£36,000 in moving expenses , thank god I don't have anything more serious wrong with me ,can't afford to be any sicker ???. Rant over , regards to Ed, hugs to you, and have a great day .

Pete
XX

Treelover
19th March 2014, 14:27
We bought our own ramps as we knew they would be too steep for the regulations. I whizz up and down in my powerchair without a problem one of my sons tried to go up in my manual chair though and it would have tipped backwards. If you do it yourself the OT can do nothing about it. I told her ours didn't meet the regs before she came to assess me for other bits and pieces and she was fine about it. No risk to them. If they supply they have to meet their rules or else they could be sued if you had an accident. They don't have to be expensive and definitely cheaper than moving house.

Jangobie
19th March 2014, 14:33
Thanks, It is brilliant just to have somewhere to go that people understand what you are going through. I will keep on using the small ramp.

Hope all is going well with the house move Pete, as usual the forum lot just make it easier to bear some of the stupid decisions that are made. Beginning to calm down a bit now.

Take care everyone.

Diane

Terry
19th March 2014, 22:01
Hi Diane;

Screaming over, are the 6 ft ramps of a temporary nature, if so do they have to meet the same regulations. Try arguing your corner and tell them how you will have too get around it if you can't use the new ones. It is a shame that Mnda won't help. If they are very good take the name and details so that you can look for the same or similar ones. Ask at the hospice and see if they will lend you temporary suitcase type one.
I was told that i needed a 12 foot dogleg ramp with a level area outside of the door, hand rails etc. I fitted a 5 ft temporary ramp and it has been super for three years now. Treelover is right, if they won't supply buy a suitable one and get it fitted, ask Mnda for financial help towards the cost.
Don't give up without a fight, try screaming at them but keep your cool, just act.
When you look at what we have to use outside or when getting into a wheelchair taxi it makes you mad to be treated like this. I think that I need to go in a corner and scream.
I am sick of hearing that people can not get out of the house safely, it should be a human right. Most cases it can be simply cured. Do the social services provide assistance if someone wants to go out or needs to go out. can we call a ambulance if we have to go top doctors or hospital if the ramp that we use does not the specification and is deemed not safe to use.

Sorry for that, Terry

Jangobie
19th March 2014, 22:27
Hi Terry, thank you for your thoughts, our physio is seeing OT tomorrow so she is going to have a word to see what she can do. Ed does have a 4 foot ramp that I have been using and if necessary will have to buy a longer one. The one they supplied was so easy to use but like all of us on this forum we will manage with what we have and get on with us. I won't give up too easy but I think I am fighting a losing battle.

I hope you find a corner big enough for us both.

Take care. Love Diane

Terry
19th March 2014, 23:39
Hi again;
Here are some guide lines and it also considers getting the OT’s supervisor to do a risk assessment. Try to demand that that is done before it is taken away.
The Building Regulations Part M (2004) Minimum legal standards (see over) for access and use of buildings. Specifically for permanent adaptations, without direct reference to temporary ramps or equipment.
¾ British Standard Document ‘Design of Buildings and their approaches to meet the needs of disabled people: Code of practice, 2009’ refers briefly to temporary ramping. It acknowledges that the maximum gradient and minimum width may sometimes have to differ slightly from the standards in order to fit a temporary ramp in an existing environment. However it is recommended that ideally Part M standards are referred to wherever possible. ¾ The above is supported by the Centre for Accessible Environments Guidance. It notes that although temporary ramps are sometimes the only solution, they can be difficult to handle, and it may be difficult to provide suitable gradient and landings. It recommends that Part M standards be referred to especially when dealing with very long temporary ramps
If ramp equipment is essential in the short/ medium-term whilst awaiting a permanent ramp, or if inappropriate to apply for grant (e.g. palliative, urgent discharge, re-housing etc), discuss the case with your supervisor and complete a Risk Assessment.
It should be risk assessed and the building regs are not cast in stone for temporary ramps.
A bit of ammo for a discussion if you have the energy and time, Terry.

Jangobie
20th March 2014, 12:24
Thanks Terry, they have already arranged pick up for tomorrow. But Ed's physio is seeing OT today and she is going to see what she can do. At least you have given me some ammunition to go back to them. You and Pete always give such strong and relevant advice, I value your friendship so much.

Take care.. Love Diane

Terry
20th March 2014, 19:26
Hi Diane;

Don't let them take it away, insist on a risk assessment by there supervisor as recommended in some other areas. Remember, possession nine tenths of the law!

Good luck, Terry

Frank
20th March 2014, 23:04
I'm with Terry, don't let them take the ramp away.
Also, if you are going for a grant, do it ASAP in the new financial year.
The council don't seem to spread the money over the year, it's more first come first serve. I waited till I was getting near to needing it and found out they had run out of money by November!!
You then have the options of staying in, doing a nose dive or paying yourself (not always an option).
If you have something that works at the moment, keep a tight hold of it ;)
If they do take it away, ask if they've done a 'manual handling' risk assessment for carrying it :D:D you don't want them hurting their back and claiming industrial injuries ;)
xx Frank

bakeit Forum