PDA

View Full Version : WAV Partner / Kangoo /Doblo

Jangobie
5th April 2014, 09:55
Well the time has finally come for us to get a WAV. Ed can't get into our own car. He doesn't get motability so we are funding this ourselves. It is really strange how all of these secondhand suppliers are miles away from anywhere.

Pete, as usual has given me great advice on what to look for. I am now looking for some personal experience. We don't need 5 seats and are going more towards the Kangoo or Partner. Your valuable thoughts would be much appreciated.

Love

Diane

Terry
5th April 2014, 16:57
Hi Diane;
Here are some old threads for you to look at that are relevant:-
http://forum.mndassociation.org/showthread.php?2524-Wheelchair-accessible-vehicles&highlight=kangoo
http://forum.mndassociation.org/showthread.php?2426-Advice-Please-on-WAV-Automatic&highlight=kangoo
http://forum.mndassociation.org/showthread.php?1646-Adapted-vehicle&highlight=kangoo
http://forum.mndassociation.org/showthread.php?1426-help!!!&highlight=kangoo

Hope they of use and if you want anymore info just ask.

Love Terry

Jangobie
5th April 2014, 20:25
Hi Terry,

Thanks for these links. It is a bit of a minefield out there and we have found a company that will bring the car to you under no obligation. So we are between the Peugeot Partner or the Kangoo. Probably going to try the Peugeot first, lady round the corner has just got a Partner and she has said she will show us next week. So fingers crossed as this is now stopping Ed getting out which he needs to do.

Love. Diane

gerald
5th April 2014, 22:00
Hi Diane. Couple of members of our local branch have wav vehicles i was shown round them with a view to moving onto one the Peugeot partner horizon looked ok plenty room the berlingo is basically same car. Th other wav was the vw but it was used for an off road wheelchair and a mad black labrador that likes walks in the country so from your desciption probably to big. Hope it helps. Gerald

Jangobie
6th April 2014, 10:45
Thanks Gerald it does, we are going to have the Peugeot demonstrated next week. Hope Christine is feeling better and that you are getting some sleep. Love Diane

pete
6th April 2014, 12:21
Thanks Gerald it does, we are going to have the Peugeot demonstrated next week. Hope Christine is feeling better and that you are getting some sleep. Love Diane

Morning Diane,
I hope the demo goes well and you find the right WAV for you and Ed, but do try more than one ,unless your happy with the first one ,new or secondhand it represents a lot of cash you have to spend , so make sure it works for you , most importantly is how easy it is for you to work the ramp mechanism and if it's offered go for a winch a must for manual wheelchairs not so for power chairs, most suppliers have no problem in letting you try two or more without any pressure for you to buy from them , just hope you find the one that gets you both out and about.

Pete
XX

Jangobie
6th April 2014, 15:08
Hi Pete,

We have found Southern Mobility and they have been very helpful. They are prepared to bring two or three different types to us without any obligation to buy. I am glad that you said about the winch, I was thinking that would probably be better with a winch and what he is bringing next week has a winch on it. It is a Peugeot Partner and the other one we want to try is a Renault Kangoo.

Thanks for thinking of us and I will let you know how it goes. Love Diane.

Longmynd
4th September 2014, 22:17
[QUOTHiE=Jangobie;29597]Well the time has finally come for us to get a WAV. Ed can't get into our own car. He doesn't get motability so we are funding this ourselves. It is really strange how all of these secondhand suppliers are miles away from anywhere.

Pete, as usual has given me great advice on what to look for. I am now looking for some personal experience. We don't need 5 seats and are going more towards the Kangoo or Partner. Your valuable thoughts would be much appreciated.

Love

Diane[/QUOTE]

Hi Diane
I bought a Renault mango with wheelchair conversion for my wife who after three months lost her battle against and. The vehicle is really great as it is also fitted with a power winch to help pull up the wheelchair if help is needed. I live in NOrthampton if you wanted to come and see it if I am anywhere near you. It has a 1.6 diesel engine which is very economical and three seats. It has only done 6000 miles. I am considering selling it as I do not need it any longer. Kent

willsandco
4th September 2014, 23:38
well, a bit off topic but what a lovely surprise to see Gerald's name come up. Sadly, I know nothing about WAVs but I do know how much I have missed Gerald's contributions lately x

pacer1971
5th September 2014, 09:58
Hello Diane
I have bought 2 WAV's secondhand they were good value for money for a van. the first was a LPG Hijet with a ramp and a winch had only done 2400mls and got it for 2500. the second is a Puegot partner WAV paid 3000 for it and the milage was 34000. Both were a few years old but very servicable. Both very reliable.
I don't understand why you didn't get mobility if you need a WAV. Have you appealed their decission?

cheers
Darryl

Terry
5th September 2014, 11:29
Hi Darryl;

It's another great equality or not. People over 65 don't get the mobility payment, I guess it goes back several years when many people were not very fit at 65 or they deem that older people don't need it for some reason.

Terry

Jangobie
9th September 2014, 08:58
Hi Darryl, we did not get motability because Ed is over 65 and according to the powers that be you are not meant to go out after you are 65.

Thanks everyone, we actually bought a Fiat Doblo in April. It was secondhand and cost us 8k. The MND made a contribution of 1000 which was very helpful.mlove to all Diane

Terry
27th March 2015, 19:33
Hi;

In a local paper today, there was an advert for the hire of a kangoo type WAV for 50 per day including insurance. Not really a long term option but could be a cheep way of trying one out or for a one off type of use.

Please bear in mind that not all companies do their conversions the same so be careful, as some wheelchairs will fit and be secure in one companies and not in another's.

If they do it in Suffolk they must do it else where.

Terry

Rainey
27th March 2015, 19:39
We bought Fiat Doblo 09 year for under 5K sight unseen, online, delivered free with money back option, from Complete Care Shop. It's in really good condition, I drive my power chair up the ramp straight into it. But it is a converted van and very shaky ride in the wheelchair. But, we have mobility and can now go anywhere we choose. Rainey

bakeit Forum