PDA

View Full Version : Extension for wet room.

Big Steve
22nd April 2014, 17:35
Hi All
I am in the process of having an extension built to accommodate a wet room and possible bedroom for the future, and I want to know the best option for the toilet.
Do I go for the all singing all dancing Clos O Mat at a substantial cost or go for the more cost effective Bio Bidet?
If any of you guys have experience, good or bad, of any of these systems, please let me know.

Many thanks
Steve

magic
22nd April 2014, 18:09
Peter had a clos o mat toilet and he really valued the independence that it gave him. He did not use any other type.
Magic

Terry
22nd April 2014, 18:26
Hi Steve;

Most of us have got a Bio Bidet seat and they do work well and are reliable. Probably a closomat is better, having a longer seat and they can have seat lifting device fitted.

Ask Mnda connect as they might help financially and can maybe hire one for you.

Both provide a squeaky clean bum.

Love Terry

miranda
22nd April 2014, 18:56
Not sure why but my bio bidet doesn't seem very effective . We recently converted a downstairs loo to a wetroom and applied for a reduction in Council Tax. After an assessment visit which involved taking photos of all my disability aids we were given a reduction of one band. It all helps but we had to read the small print to discover we could apply. Hope this is not another postcode lottery.

Billie
22nd April 2014, 21:37
Hi Steve
My mum has a Geberit toilet which washes after but doesn't stand you up like I think the Closamat does. It cost around 2,500 but she would definitely say it was worth it as she was struggling before as her hands aren't great. The only issue we have is that the water is a bit cold! Good luck!
Sarah

Alan Livett
23rd April 2014, 02:51
Hi Steve. Closomat also sell reconditioned toilets which are considerably cheaper than a new one (1500). I would also speak with your regional mnd representative about a contribution towards the cost. I was originally offered 750 towards the cost but when I explained that I had used all my savings converting a bathroom into a wetroom and other adaptions, mnd agreed to fund 1500. I still have to fund the fitting but this has made it affordable. Hope this helps. Regards Alan.

kevin
23rd April 2014, 17:39
Hi steve
I have done a lot of disabled conversions in my opinion Closomat is the only one In Preston area the council give a grant on the O.T. instruction for full cost including fitting . You are then presented with a choice full mantainance for your life time if you sighn the ownership to the council or it your look after it yourself . From aplication to fitting it took 6 weeks true i did know who to talk to . Your area must run a similar systom . If thats a no go they sell the secondhand on e bay and they go for very little money any competent electrican and plumber can fit them all instructions can be downloaded from closomat wed site . I dont know how advanced your build is but a fused spur with an external isolation ,slightley higher siol outlet and a cold feed a;; have to fit within lower toilet facia
good luck Kevin

gerald
23rd April 2014, 20:46
Hi kevin. We have the bio bidet which works well our ot actually ordered it and social services organised the fitting and wiring can that be done in your area. Gerald

gerald
23rd April 2014, 20:47
Sorry meant for steve had a bad day. Gerald

Big Steve
24th April 2014, 10:00
Hi Guys and Gals
Many thanks for all your advice and comments. It looks like I will be going for the Bio Bidet as the Closomat appears to be overkill for what I need ie it stands you up and I can't stand!!!

Regards
Steve

kevin
24th April 2014, 12:40
Hi Steve
A closomat dose not stand u up

Big Steve
24th April 2014, 18:41
Hi Steve
A closomat dose not stand u up

I assumed the seat lifting device was some sort of lifting function. Got that wrong !!
I will still go for the Bio Bidet though. Thanks for putting me straight.

Regards
Steve

TJ_ASG
26th April 2014, 12:40
If you need a reclining shower chair in the future it won't fit over the Bio-bidet. That's why I have gone for the Closomat with funding assistance from the MNDA.

BillFriend
29th April 2014, 19:19
Hi Steve, if you are considering a Clos-o-mat I have a new one for sale which has never been used. Cost Nearly 3000 will accept 1500. Bill

Big Steve
29th April 2014, 23:18
Hi Bill
I will be seeing my OT this week to run through all the options and decide on the best one to suit my current and future needs.
I wll PM you if I take you up on your kind offer.

Regards
Steve

Miss Bloomsbury
27th April 2016, 17:50
Hi guys,

We are also having all these problems! Had bio bidet fitted which we now realise won't work with the shower chair and can't afford 3k for a Gerberit or closomat. MNDA have offered 1500. Billfriend - if Big Steve doesn't take up your offer, we will happily buy the clos o mat from you! Will you keep us posted?

Terry
27th April 2016, 19:09
Hi Miss Bloomsbury and welcome to the forum;

Steve's post was quite a while ago so. Can I ask why the Bio Bidet doesn't work with the shower chair, people have done it by removing the sensor on the seat that requires you to sit on it. It is a recognized modification.

You can also get some chairs with skirts that sit in to the loo seat to stop most spillages.

Love terry

Miss Bloomsbury
29th April 2016, 16:30
Hi Terry, thanks for your interest. The shower chair won't go back far enough over the bio bidet because the controls are raised and in the way. So my husband finds it impossible to position over the toilet bowl. A Gerberit has controls under the seat level with the tollet bowl. It causes him a great deal of anxiety but we really can't afford to pay 3k! and the MNDA Assoc. Have been generous but only offered 1.5k. Which is why I'm interested in BILL's clos o mat. I do know that if you use a strip of copper paper, stuck on the sensor part of the bio bidet seat, it will override the sensor control and be permanently 'on'

Terry
29th April 2016, 16:46
Thanks Miss B;

I thought that some chairs would go over or fit OK but I'm not positive. Where do you stick the copper strip and can you put a photo up if possible. I doubt you can so don't worry,

Love Terry

Ellie
29th April 2016, 16:59
Miss B,

Can the OT get him a height adjustable or higher shower chair? Much cheaper than new loo.

Ellie x.

Dude
29th April 2016, 17:33
Miss B. I've never seen a bio bidet but I'll bet there's a cheap solution to the problem . They do a 50mm spacer. Can you butcher the shower chair somehow. Does shower chair have make and model number on. Dude x

Terry
29th April 2016, 17:43
Hi Dude;

There's one here;-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bio-Bidet-1000-Supreme-Toilet-seat-bidet-and-dryer-all-in-one-Free-UK-P-P-/191786752231?hash=item2ca76198e7:g:t7YAAOSwUV9WniE L

You could take the cover off but the back part is quite a bit higher.

you could get a higher chair to go over the back bit and find a way of filling the gap but i doubt that the wash and dry would work so well but it might still be quite good.

love Terry

Dude
29th April 2016, 17:57
Right Tel Gotcha. First thing I guess is take cover off if only to save cleaning. Chair has to be at height it is now to wash right .. So solution is altering chair backframe. Dude

Dvd
29th April 2016, 17:57
Hi Dude;

There's one here;-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bio-Bidet-1000-Supreme-Toilet-seat-bidet-and-dryer-all-in-one-Free-UK-P-P-/191786752231?hash=item2ca76198e7:g:t7YAAOSwUV9WniE L

You could take the cover off but the back part is quite a bit higher.

you could get a higher chair to go over the back bit and find a way of filling the gap but i doubt that the wash and dry would work so well but it might still be quite good.

love Terry

Hi Terry .. Not that my friend needs the Bio- Bidet but was very interesting to see that the shop selling these plus other aids is only 8 miles from where I live ...
Dvd

Terry
29th April 2016, 18:08
Hi DVD;

So I boosted your local economy??

Love Terry

Dude
29th April 2016, 18:10
Miss B .You need one of these modified. Dude x

http://prismmedical.co.uk/product/freeway-t40-shower-chair/

Below is the one.

http://www.astorbannerman.co.uk/products/lavatories/biochair/

http://www.healthandcare.co.uk/shower-chairs/bidet-and-shower-chair.html

Dvd
29th April 2016, 21:01
Hi DVD;

So I boosted your local economy??

Love Terry

Terry ...They say you learn something every day .. That was something I never knew existed a few miles down the road .. Had I been looking for aids I would have been looking further afield ... You have just put Lisburn, Northern Ireland on the map .. People will be jetting in now. Lol
Dvd

Dude
30th April 2016, 13:34
http://www.dlf-data.org.uk/product.php?product_id=0117982#manudesc

john
30th April 2016, 14:16
Same product for 699 or 979. Unbelievable that someone feels the need to overcharge the disabled by 280. Or is it perfectly believable.

John

John14
30th April 2016, 15:08
John,

It seems to me that a lot of products designed for the "disabled" market are really overpriced, this chair is selling for 700 that is 500 more than it should be, a comparable regular wheelchair would not cost anything like that.

John

Smudge
1st May 2016, 10:18
Our OT arranged for us to have one of those.

John's palliative care team were constantly one step ahead and were arranging for equipment to be delivered just before we needed it. Their experience of dealing with MND patients meant that they had the skills and knowledge to know what he ne needed and when and we never had to fight for one single piece of equipment or help.

It's a shame that their work isn't replicated across the country

Squib
22nd November 2017, 13:24
Hi All,
I too need to thank you for the information as we are having an adaption started in the New Year.
Any other advice regarding fixtures and fittings would be appreciated.

Best wishes,

X

Terry
20th May 2018, 12:04
Hi Terry, thanks for your interest. The shower chair won't go back far enough over the bio bidet because the controls are raised and in the way. So my husband finds it impossible to position over the toilet bowl. A Gerberit has controls under the seat level with the tollet bowl. It causes him a great deal of anxiety but we really can't afford to pay 3k! and the MNDA Assoc. Have been generous but only offered 1.5k. Which is why I'm interested in BILL's clos o mat. I do know that if you use a strip of copper paper, stuck on the sensor part of the bio bidet seat, it will override the sensor control and be permanently 'on'

Hi Tomy;

If you look at page 2 on this thread it has some info but not enough really.

Love Terry

bakeit Forum