PDA

View Full Version : sleep

twitcher1
17th May 2011, 11:23
Hi again everyone

The other side of the coin....what do people take for sleep and/or depression?
I take Zopiclone and Diazepam at the moment but Im becoming tolerent to both
I have not noticed anyone talking about sleep problems yet.
Also fatigue and muscle weakness.Are they the same?

Paul

Robyn Copley-Hirst
17th May 2011, 11:32
Hi Paul,

There was a thread on Fatigue recently and I posted some info from our research team there. It may be interesting to you in your question even though it's a slightly different subject.

http://forum.mndassociation.org/showthread.php?389-Chronic-Fatigue-and-MND&highlight=fatigue

Hope this helps,

Robyn

Jacqui Priestley
17th May 2011, 16:39
Paul, I took the same medication as you for a while but found I was waking very early. In the end I came off both & started taking Citalopram. It's worked for me although I have had to up the dose over time.

Traceygibbo
17th May 2011, 23:22
my husband used to take zopliclone and diazapam for sleep but neither worked really.. he also took citalopram in the morning for depression and boughts of being emotional which can be a symptom of M.N.D . however i did use lavender and ravensara which are essential oils to aid sleep mixed with a carrier oil 2 drops of each in 20mls of carrier oil .he did find it difficult to get into a sleep pattern and tended to sleep all day a wake all night which was difficult when your the main carer . i think you do get used to the drugs but the essential oils are worth a whirl in the end he took to having brandy through his peg ..(tut tut) but what can you say when you know thats what they want . he also did take midazolam which is a valium based sedative which was a bit more helpful but medicine is quite personal and sometimes they give certain meds for mnd patients sometimes they just need tweeking a bit . my husband had mnd for 16 months bulbar type had him at home for 14 months at home on a ventilator before he passed on 23rd april .. dont be afraid to ask about different meds and dont be afraid of coming off meds if there not right after talking to your gp .. sometimes the mc millan nurses have a better idea about meds as you dont see your consultant every week also the specalist nurses are diamonds .dont ever be afraid to ask or question anything if you need to and best of british xx

Robin142857
21st May 2011, 10:00
Paul,

I think muscle weakness is the result of muscle atrophy brought on by MND - fewer muscle fibres to do the work means less work is possible = muscle weakness, whereas fatugue is the result of making muscles work hard or long enough to build up chemicals (products of metabolism like lactic acid) which reduce efficiency until those chemicals can be removed by the blood e.g.during a rest period.

sarahezekiel
21st May 2011, 18:36
Hi Paul

I've been taking Clonazepam to help me sleep for about 6 years. It's still working really well.

I used to take the antidepressant, Mirtazapine, which also helped me sleep. It made me eat more too, so it's not good if you don't want to gain weight.

It takes time to find the right drugs and I hope that you find something better soon.

Sarah

bakeit Forum