PDA

View Full Version : Circulation Booster (Tens System): anyone tried it / comments wanted

Robin142857
27th May 2011, 11:43
A friend told me of this machine (there are several makes available, I bought from Lloyds Chemists). It is said to improve blood circulation in the legs, reduce swollen feet and ankles, alleviate tired and aching legs and ease joint & muscle pain. Well! That's four of my big complaints in one. I bought (166), plugged in to the mains and put my feet on the footpads.

Ooooh! Lovely feeling of tingles in the legs, which reach further up as you increase the dose. Whatever muscles you have left get stimulated (in my case, so far, the tingles reach up to just above the knee) and I have to say that at the end of a session my legs feel lighter and more responsive. The muscle stimulation, it is said, serves to pump blood and lymph back to the heart from the legs.

Mine are certainly warmer too - Raynauds (cold extremities) has set in recently and it seems that the system may combat that as well by stimulating blood flow through closed capillaries. It is still early days for me with this machine, but I am encouraged by early results. Also, I can't help wondering if, by stimulating muscle this way, we might hold on to more muscle for a bit longer despite the central effect of MND.

The machine comes with four additional pads which can be placed elsewhere on the body to stimulate muscles away from the legs, and can apparently be used over most of the body without harm.

Has anyone else tried one of these machines? If so, would you care to add your comments here for the benefit of others? And does anyone know if this system might help retain muscle?

PS TENS is transcutaneous electro-nerve stimulation. See an example circulation booster here:http://www.circulationbooster.co.uk/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=circulation_booster_Exact&utm_campaign=Circulation_Booster_-_Exact&gclid=CMDOzrr5h6kCFdFX4QodgWZ7jg

hilary walklett
27th May 2011, 13:40
This sounds very good, Robin. I use hand reflexology for my aching knees and hips ( and neck and shoulders!) which works very well for me, but it does take some muscular effort from my fingers, which I won't be able to maintain for ever. Also my wife and carer (bless her!) suffes from swollen ankles and various aches and pains, so it sounds as though it might be a good investment.
I look forward to hearing further reports from you and anyone else who's tried it.

Hilary

computatec
28th May 2011, 20:43
Hi Robin

My wife and I have been wondering if this would be any good for some time, so we found your info very interesting. It is quite a lot of money so it would be good if it was possible to try before we buy. Have you found any supplier that does this?

Clive

Robin142857
29th May 2011, 10:08
No such luck. But the people on the website I mentioned in the first post offer a 30 day trial/money back deal .Resistable?

martinchebe
15th June 2011, 16:24
I would be very careful with this product, I don't think it is to be trusted. I have been doing some research as I thought the circulation booster might benefit my mother, and came across a ruling by the Advertising Standards Agency, saying that claims made could not be proven or substantiated. The link is: http://www.asa.org.uk/ASA-action/Adjudications/2011/6/High-Tech-Health-Ltd/TF_ADJ_50690.aspx if you want to see for yourself.

I guess this sort of proves that it doesn't work.

Robin142857
15th June 2011, 20:36
Thanks. Fascinating. I'll think again.

Robin142857
22nd June 2011, 17:27
Have thought again. The ASA report is so condemnatory. I've no faith in the product and have asked Lloyds Chemist, from whom I bought it, to refund the price in full. They have agreed. If anyone else has a Circulation Booster V3, first read : http://www.asa.org.uk/ASA-action/Adjudications/2011/6/High-Tech-Health-Ltd/TF_ADJ_50690.aspx in full then you might use that info, as I did, to claim a refund.

Thank you martinchebe.

jacobstyn
1st September 2011, 16:54
TENS stands for Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation, and is a drug free method of pain relief.

G60dubber
1st September 2011, 20:20
I have one of these with the foot rests n pads, it was nice to feel the muscles responding to the electrical impulses to be honest. I had mine up to about 35 when on the foot plates and was quite comfortable, then the mrs tried it on the same level and nearly shot across the room. It kind of showed how my pathways weren't as responsive as hers!!

Crazy girl
3rd September 2011, 21:15
I've just read your last post out loud (and pls say sorry to your wife) but the thought of her going on it after you and nearly going across the room had me, my husband and my mum laughing out loud!! Once again, thanks for the smile in amongst all this!

batman
29th November 2011, 14:24
hi,:p
just read your blog - i've been using my circulation device for over a month and it's helped with my tight calf muscles. i sit for long periods of time so im not very active.

i searched online to find a registered medical device - this seems to be really important. i then purchsed it with free delievry. i'm over the moon - the person who i spoke to on the phone was really helpful.

my tip is to keep your feet moisterised whilst using the circulation device - it really increases the intensity feeling:cool:

ive now told all my friends to get one too

Pollyanna
4th June 2012, 17:26
hi,:p
just read your blog - i've been using my circulation device for over a month and it's helped with my tight calf muscles. i sit for long periods of time so im not very active.

i searched online to find a registered medical device - this seems to be really important. i then purchsed it with free delievry. i'm over the moon - the person who i spoke to on the phone was really helpful.

my tip is to keep your feet moisterised whilst using the circulation device - it really increases the intensity feeling:cool:

ive now told all my friends to get one too

I've been using mine for about 6 weeks. I love it! My legs are much less swollen and I can move them a little better. They are not so purple. They may not have clinical trial back up but for this type of thing personal experience is more useful because all MND patients are different

ian
5th June 2012, 08:09
My wife has one which I have tried. Once the muscles are gone in the calf it has no effect at all.
So they are only of use to those that still have active calf muscles. If you have lost those muscles it can't help the circulation, so save your money.

icepick
19th November 2012, 18:27
I would be very careful with this product, I don't think it is to be trusted. I have been doing some research as I thought the circulation booster might benefit my mother, and came across a ruling by the Advertising Standards Agency, saying that claims made could not be proven or substantiated. The link is: http://www.asa.org.uk/ASA-action/Adjudications/2011/6/High-Tech-Health-Ltd/TF_ADJ_50690.aspx if you want to see for yourself.

I guess this sort of proves that it doesn't work.

You really can't say that. There are times when official tests are to inflexible.

I should first point out that my condition is not MND, but Peripheral Vascular Disease. Since developing this disease, I have learned that one's vascular system will use alternative routes to increase circulation. I have no Femoral Artery below the knee on my right leg, and my body uses the Capillaries to get blood down to my foot. So as far as I can tell, this machine would help me.

But you need to use your head. Don't ask people in this forum anything other than whether or not the machine has helped them. If all sounds good, do the smart thing next. Tens is a respected manufacturer of medical equipment. So ask a doctor about whether or not the machine might be useful for you. Only they would have a real clue. This is what I plan to do on Friday.

Joybells
19th November 2012, 21:46
My husband wanted to buy one for me but my physio said it was a waste of time.

john
19th November 2012, 23:53
Hi icepick,

Why would someone with no practical knowledge of a product and an illness completely unrelated to Motor Neuron Disease speak up in defence of this product? Seems curious that you should even be looking at this forum and then to post on a thread that has been dormant for 5 months is even more intriguing. You don't have any connection to tens do you by any chance?

John

ian
20th November 2012, 07:56
I have tried my wife's circulation booster. On my left leg, which still has some muscles, and it works a treat, but on my right leg where the muscles no longer work, there is no response at all. These machines stimulate the muscles where they still exist. If the muscles no longer work the machine is useless.

Ian

Streetwise
11th November 2017, 07:17
I had a TENS Machine and it was wonderful the pain stopped within seconds no side-effects I would say if you have severe anxiety like me you won't perceive it as much but it still helps I personally think it would boost your circulation problem is studies are dependent on having years of data and it hasn't existed for years they usually want about 20 or 30 years

bakeit Forum