PDA

View Full Version : Brighton Beach Ice Bucket Challenge

trh29
25th August 2014, 10:29
Hi everyone,

My partner and I are trying to organise an ice bucket challenge on brighton beach and desperately need people to join in! We started noticing an awful lot of people posting videos online of their challenges not actually knowing what the challenge was raising awareness for. We wanted to try and do something that made people stop and find out more about MND and encourage people to spread the word and donate.
We really hoped to get a good few people involved but are struggling to spread the word. We would be so grateful if anyone in the area could let people know and come along and join in if they want to. We will have collection buckets on the day and have set up a just giving page for the event but without word spreading we fear this won't work!

I lost my mum to MND in March this year and just wanted to do something which I knew she would have loved to help spread awareness and raise funds for the MNDA.

For anyone interested here is a link to our Facebook page for the event, please share it if you can and join if you can come!

Thank you :-)

trh29
25th August 2014, 10:30
Don't know why the link didn't come up! I'll try again! https://m.facebook.com/events/1546888815531326?acontext=%7B%22ref%22%3A2%2C%22re f_dashboard_filter%22%3A%22upcoming%22%7D&aref=2&arefdashboardfilter=upcoming&ref=bookmark

Jock
25th August 2014, 10:44
Too far South for me trh29. :)

Brighton has been on mind today (I'm playing 'Quadrophenia' and 'Pinkie ' has just died). I think you make a very good point about the cause not being noted with these challenges. I wonder how many more people really are much the wiser about MND after all these videos?

All the best with your own challenge. No need for ice - just pop into the water :) (In the 60s I used to pop down from the Big Smoke with my Great Aunt, so I know about the water there.)

trh29
25th August 2014, 12:38
Thanks for your reply Jock, shame you are too far away! And you are right about the water, no need for ice!!

Cookewitch
26th August 2014, 15:53
Can you send me an DM with some details. I'm on the committee for the East Sussex branch and I can put it on our Facebook and Twitter page for you.

trh29
27th August 2014, 13:00
Sadly we have had to cancel this event as we were unable to get enough volunteers to make it happen, on the plus side we have still managed to raise some money and have succeeded in educating a fair few people about MND :-) have just seen the new total of 2 million! Absolutely amazing!

Cookewitch
27th August 2014, 13:34
That's a shame, it was a bit short notice I suppose. All the awareness has been great and there was a 1000 bucket Ice Bucket Challenge the other day in Sheffield I think in memory of Natalie Brocklebank. There are videos on Facebook on some of the MND pages.

If you have any other local events planned please do let me know, I'll be happy to 'big you up' on Facebook and Twitter :)

bakeit Forum