PDA

View Full Version : Your Help Requested: Views on Assisted Dying.

Robyn Copley-Hirst
3rd June 2011, 12:00
Hi Everyone,

We have been approached by the political think tank, Demos. They would love to hear your views on this subject and have you contact them using the details below.

Feel free to discuss things in this thread as well as get in touch with Demos if you wish to take part in the comission, and if you do decide you want your views heard we at the MND Association would love to know about it, too.

edit:

The Association’s position on this issue can be read here on our website (http://www.mndassociation.org/search_clicks.rm?id=1976&destinationtype=2&instanceid=232172).

The Association does not endorse Demos’s commission, although we would not wish to prevent anyone with MND who wants to participate from doing so.

Best Regards

Robyn
__________________________________________________ _______________________________

Commission on Assisted Dying Consultation Exercise
Demos Consultation Exercise on ‘Assisted Dying’

The independent think tank Demos is planning a vital consultation exercise to explore public views on one of the most controversial issues of our time.

Currently, there is a huge amount of disagreement about the issue of ‘assisted dying’ and a number of recent events have highlighted the growing legal, as well as ethical concerns around this issue. Lord Falconer has set up an independent Commission based at Demos to explore this issue, which will be reporting at the end of 2011.

In order to inform the Commission’s study into whether the current law offers adequate protection to vulnerable groups, Demos is looking for people with varying experience and perspectives to be interviewed or participate in focus groups.

• All participants will remain anonymous and their contributions will be kept confidential.
• Demos will pay participants 30 for their time if they take part in a focus group or are interviewed face-to-face or on the phone.
• We will try to travel to you if you live outside London.
• We will arrange focus groups for early July. We will decide on final dates and locations once we know more about participants’ availability.
• We have also set up a Facebook page where you can leave comments.

If you think you could come along to a focus group, or could take part in an interview (either by phone or in person), then please contact: Phillida Cheetham at phillida.cheetham@demos.co.uk or phone her on 0207 3676 330.

More information about the Commission is available on the website - www.commissiononassisteddying.co.uk (http://www.comissiononassisteddying.co.uk)

Demos, 136-148 Tooley Street, London, SE1 2TU

Demos is a think tank and registered charity, based in Central London. We generate ideas to improve politics and policy, and give people more power over their lives. We regularly produce research reports about a range of policy areas, such as education and social care, you can download these for free on our website at www.demos.co.uk.
__________________________________________________ ________________________________

Robin142857
3rd June 2011, 12:40
FYI I volunteered for interview today.

Robin

Graham
3rd June 2011, 23:28
Hi Robyn, All,

I'd like to know what 'assisted' means in practice?

Best wishes

Graham

Graham
13th June 2011, 20:21
Hi,

These past months, there have been several threads regarding assisted suicide and so I have been thinking about assisted suicide.

My thoughts are:

1. What are the boundaries in law for assisted suicide? So that loved ones are not put through the grinder of police and courts.

2. People have the right of suicide, it is just that some people do not have the ability to carry out their wish.

3. Doctors are not to be trusted.

4. If the care services were fit for purpose, I guess more people would choose to live.

5. Thoughts of suicide take a morbid obsession, better to think about nice things.

Best wishes

Graham

Robin142857
14th June 2011, 09:48
The Terry Pratchet programme last night was so thought-provoking. I start out knowing thaty no-one should be able to interfere with my right to self-determination, but watching Peter Smedley end his life made me revise my thoughts about how to achieve. What a horrible, empty process at Dignitas. I believe we all have the right to choose a comfortable death if we are threatened with the opposite, but there was little comfort there. He must have been desperate to have put himself through that, poor man.

What I need is a place, preferably in my own home, where I can prepare myself and my family & friends in a degree of comfort and familiarity, where we can say our farewells amongst loved ones, where I can retire in comfort and warmth and the glow of love and understanding to take a completely painless death - I envisage a needle in the arm and 'count to five..........' rather than suffer the indignities of Peter's poison or a long, lingering process at home or in hospice.

Why cannot this be done in our civilised society? Who are these people who want to stop me having my choice about my life - and death? Why should they hold sway? In a free society both you and I should be free to choose either route (or any other, come to that) for ourselves, not have it foisted upon us by single-interest groups of whatever persuasion.

We in the UK do not have it right - that is obvious.The Swiss solution doesn't offfer a decent answer other than for those in desperate need. It's time to go back to the drawing board, re-examine the various influences - modern medicine, life expectancy, freedoms, danger to others, our rights and rersposibilities - and devise a solution that suits the majority and matches up to modern realities and expectations.

There now, I feel a bit better for that.

Z3 Driver
14th June 2011, 12:31
The Terry Pratchet programme last night was so thought-provoking. I start out knowing thaty no-one should be able to interfere with my right to self-determination, but watching Peter Smedley end his life made me revise my thoughts about how to achieve. What a horrible, empty process at Dignitas. I believe we all have the right to choose a comfortable death if we are threatened with the opposite, but there was little comfort there. He must have been desperate to have put himself through that, poor man.

What I need is a place, preferably in my own home, where I can prepare myself and my family & friends in a degree of comfort and familiarity, where we can say our farewells amongst loved ones, where I can retire in comfort and warmth and the glow of love and understanding to take a completely painless death - I envisage a needle in the arm and 'count to five..........' rather than suffer the indignities of Peter's poison or a long, lingering process at home or in hospice.

Why cannot this be done in our civilised society? Who are these people who want to stop me having my choice about my life - and death? Why should they hold sway? In a free society both you and I should be free to choose either route (or any other, come to that) for ourselves, not have it foisted upon us by single-interest groups of whatever persuasion.

We in the UK do not have it right - that is obvious.The Swiss solution doesn't offfer a decent answer other than for those in desperate need. It's time to go back to the drawing board, re-examine the various influences - modern medicine, life expectancy, freedoms, danger to others, our rights and rersposibilities - and devise a solution that suits the majority and matches up to modern realities and expectations.

There now, I feel a bit better for that.

Robin perfect post i agree totally.

Ange M
14th June 2011, 20:41
I agree with your post Robin,
I really wasn't sure I would be able to watch the program, however I managed to watch it through my tears, but I would not call that dignified, I was horrified at how clinical and cold eveything was and I really felt for Peters wife where she was not able to really be close to him at the end

bakeit Forum