PDA

View Full Version : advice on rollators

willsandco
1st November 2014, 18:38
Hello all. My OT has arranged the delivery of a NHS rollator which certainly does the business but is too bulky for purpose really. I want something that is lightweight, that I can fold easily for car boot and for bus, for train journeys.
I have a standard weight of just under 12 stone. We don't mind paying. Can anyone recommend anything suitable.

Treelover
1st November 2014, 18:42
Have a look at the Topro Troja range. Really light and fold down well and look better than most.

miranda
2nd November 2014, 10:37
The trouble with the lightweight rollators is that they are not so stable. Over time you might need it for balance as well as support for walking so the four wheeled ones are best. Good luck.

Terry
2nd November 2014, 11:51
Hi Miranda;

Put some weight under the seat, you would be surprised what difference it makes having a gallon of water under there.

willsandco
28th November 2014, 18:15
Treelover, have you had one of these? We are just now researching which one to get? We have had a look on Youtube and it certainly looks OK. I just don't want a wheelchair yet but I am struggling getting around town with just my magic stick. I want something lightweight which I can fold easily for the car. Love Joycie x

ardalon
28th November 2014, 19:07
I use the indoor rollator "let's go". It's light, easy to fold and has one bow- handle instead of two . That's very useful for me since my right hand isn't able to grab a handle. Arda

Treelover
28th November 2014, 19:12
Yes I had one with a seat and a tray. I used it indoors mainly. I have limb onset ALS so one leg and one arm were the first things to go and I was dangerous outdoors even with the walker. I found it wonderful to carry things about the house as if I used a stick with my good arm I couldn't carry anything with the other. Good to sit and rest too. I had a NHS one too, upstairs, left at the top of the stairlift, with the Topro at the bottom.
Our diseases are so different I think, I can still talk, eat and drink, with some limitations, but can't use my legs or left arm at all now, and the right arm is weakening. My breathing is going now but that's 3 years from symptom onset.

willsandco
28th November 2014, 19:43
Thanks Arda and Treelover. I want an outdoor one. I am struggling in Lincoln trying to get about. I can still walk, albeit slowly but I want to continue to do that as long as I can. Not looking to use it indoors really, just something lightweight to fold up and put in the car. Something I can get out quickly and easily and get around and about and sit in if I feel the need for a rest. I have looked at the Topro but before I order one, just wanted a review from someone who uses it outside. Joycie x

Nettie B
28th November 2014, 20:25
Joycie. I know nothing about rolators but I suppose your height and weight might have some bearing on which one may be best for you. I wonder if your OT might be able to assess which sort may be best some one of a fairly average frame such as you.
X Nettie.

willsandco
28th November 2014, 21:02
OT arranged for me to have a rollator but, in truth, it is in the garage. It is too heavy and cumbersome for the purposes I want it for. She said don't buy anything if it doesn't suit me - she would apply through MNDA but we have already have had Bio Bidet and a contribution to our wet room so I don't think I can realistically ask for anything else at the moment. I am sure the local mobility shops can source something. We will finance it ourselves this time - and the mobility experts will, I am sure, recommend the right one for my individual needs. I want a modern, streamlined lightweight rollator with a seat and a bag, so fashionable that no one will necessarily think I am disabled! Ha! Ha!

Wise owl
28th November 2014, 22:10
Hi Wilsandco, I've been using a Drive Medical rollator for about a month now & find it very stable & reliable too. Have used outside but tend to use my wheelchair when out. Product code is : R8BLHA. Comes with usefull seat/box. You can find it on www.drivemedical.com
It's fairly easy to fold too. Hope you find this usefull.
Regards Mick.

Nettie B
28th November 2014, 22:37
Sorry Joycie. I forgot you'd been done the OT Route!

boreham1
28th December 2014, 23:03
I am having the same dilemma ! They have given me a blue thing, seat with a bag under it four small nylon wheels that wont cross stones or mud, brakes that are a row of teeth sticking in the outside wheel they can stop the wheel but being narrow nylon they just slide even on the roughest concrete . it wont fit across the boot of my scenic and its too heavy for one hand loading. Whereas the Topman i saw someone at the farleigh with was designed for a disabled person in mind but until i get to the shop in Brentwood im keeping my options open as i saw something that folded up quite small on the tinterweb about 80 but i havnt seen the wheel size/width?

Terry
29th December 2014, 11:44
Hi;

I have had two similar blue things but they have had the bigger wheels, probably 6 or 7 inches. Getting them in the car is a little bit hard especially now with my wheelchair. The wheels do not grip much but they have been OK for me.

I think that other rollators are easier and better in some ways.

Terry

willsandco
29th December 2014, 11:52
Hello all. Treelover recommended the Topra Trojan to me and I had it demonstrated at our Lincoln hospice the other day. It is exactly what I want. Four wheeled, sturdy, lightweight, foldable, had a bag, has a seat - even has a bell! It is stylish too (and that matters to us young, vibrant gals, doesn't it?) so it is in on order. In fact, it was so special that our members of the team at the hospice came in to see the demonstration! You can google it if you want to see a video. Thanks so much for all your advice, especially Treelover! Love Joycie xx

pete
29th December 2014, 17:41
Hello all. Treelover recommended the Topra Trojan to me and I had it demonstrated at our Lincoln hospice the other day. It is exactly what I want. Four wheeled, sturdy, lightweight, foldable, had a bag, has a seat - even has a bell! It is stylish too (and that matters to us young, vibrant gals, doesn't it?) so it is in on order. In fact, it was so special that our members of the team at the hospice came in to see the demonstration! You can google it if you want to see a video. Thanks so much for all your advice, especially Treelover! Love Joycie xx

Hi Joycie ,

There are quite a few the exact same design about ,I had mine two months and the park brake broke ,then again some three months on ,both times it was replaced, I found that while I had some balance and walked a bit unsteady, it was fine, but as things got worse the plastic wheels offered no grip in the dry and it was useless in shopping malls on polished floors, after slipping down our drive it got to live in the shed, it was quite expensive and not really that well engineered, looked nice but there are better and cheaper about,it was very easy to fold and the seat ,a plastic webbing ,quite good again as my legs became worse I couldn't trust it simply because the grip of the wheels was so poor.

Pete.

willsandco
29th December 2014, 20:15
Peter, once it is her, I will use it as long as I think it is safe. I am very wobbly these days so if it is problematic it too will go in the garage, I cant have any more falls! I just want to keep my independence and walk as long as I am able to. It will drive me nuts when I cant get about under my own steam! Much love to you Joycie

boreham1
31st December 2014, 14:57
I like the way this folds down but whether its tall enough for me ? Have to wait till i get to the shop http://www.careco.co.uk/item-s-wa01032/drive-x-fold-rollator.htm?gclid=CI7R8or1p8ICFefMtAodbnAADg
Colin.

miranda
1st January 2015, 14:34
Joycie - you sound just like I was. I think we have the same streak of independence. Eventually I gave in, started using the rollator and have to admit I then wondered why I had been so bloody-minded - people were so nice, opening doors, helping up kerbs, letting me go first into lifts etc.

bakeit Forum