PDA

View Full Version : Predictable app - is the MND Association able to leverage the 50% discount?

Adrian
3rd November 2014, 17:44
Hi All,

Further to the article;

http://news.sky.com/story/1364625/app-to-help-motor-neurone-disease-sufferers

Looking to the future I am going to start digitalising my voice using Model Talker;

https://www.modeltalker.org/

Does anyone know if the MND association are able to obtain the 50% discount on the retail price of the Predictable app that is needed once I finally lose my voice;

VOLUME PURCHASE PROGRAM **50% off to enrolled organisations**
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/predictable/id404445007?mt=8

many thanks, Adrian.

Andrew
4th November 2014, 14:06
Hi Adrian,

I've spoken to Therapy Box this afternoon, the company that make the Predictable app.

It appears that the 50% discount is mostly aimed at educational organisations, such as schools who buy the app in large quantities.

However, the chap I spoke to said it is certainly something that the Association should consider applying for. The scheme is run entirely through Apple and not Therapy Box and there is no guarantee we will be able to get on it.

Thanks for mentioning this. I have passed it on to the relevant people in the Association.

Best wishes,

Andrew

Adrian
4th November 2014, 15:22
Many thanks Andrew, I will make the call to the MND association when the time comes, hopefully this will make the app more affordable for many others.
regards, Adrian

Andrew
4th November 2014, 15:32
Hi Adrian,

It looks very impressive.

It may be worth contacting our Support Services team who can sometimes help with equipment loan and / or grants towards expensive kit. It is certainly worth a call if you are in need of support and information.

They are available on 01604 611802 or email support.services@mndassociation.org.

Best wishes,

Andrew

Terry
4th November 2014, 16:15
It would be so much nicer if it was available half price, I'm learning, we all are.

Trevorhb
30th November 2014, 15:19
The problem is it is only available for the expensive Apple range of products and not the more affordable android/windows devices.

DaiTheDragon
30th November 2014, 21:01
My local branch of MNDA funded the cost of Predictable which I have in my iPad. I also have it on my mind iPad that was supplied by Evo Assist, the company that installed all the remote stuff on the iPad mini

David

willsandco
30th November 2014, 21:03
NHS Speech Therapist funded it for me. Peter bought me the IPAD for a wedding present. Joycie xx

goldilockz
24th December 2014, 20:30
Hello, does anyone happen to know if there are any similar voice banks available for Android? I am giving my dad a tablet for Christmas and would love to know if a voice bank would be suitable for it, otherwise I may buy him an iPad at a later date. Thank you all xx

Terry
24th December 2014, 20:39
Hello, does anyone happen to know if there are any similar voice banks available for Android? I am giving my dad a tablet for Christmas and would love to know if a voice bank would be suitable for it, otherwise I may buy him an iPad at a later date. Thank you all xx

Take a look at these threads, if you need any more help then just ask.

http://forum.mndassociation.org/showthread.php?5447-Talking-applications-for-Android-devices&highlight=android

http://forum.mndassociation.org/showthread.php?5453-Voice-banking-with-Modeltalker/page3

Regards Terry

goldilockz
24th December 2014, 20:49
Thanks so much Terry, a great help as always! I will definitely look into the free speech app. I would buy an iPad if necessary but hopefully this one will suffice. What a terrific idea for people who are losing their speech. Thanks again Terry!

Durwood
22nd January 2015, 07:26
My partner has blubber on-set mnd has has now lost the use of his voice. We're in an ongoing saga trying to find the funding for Predictable, speech therapist say there's no funding, MNDa say they'd fund it if the local authority write and let them know they can't find the funds. Four months later still no progress.

Bilando
22nd January 2015, 07:55
I have just completed Voice baking using Modeltalker and downloaded my voice onto both Predictable (ipad) and onto Free Speech (android). Modeltalker are very helpful with their email support and they told me about Free Speech. It appears to operate in a similar way to Predictable. I am happy, with it. The main point to consider before buying an Ipad is the limited use that the ipad provides when compared with Android tablets. The high cost of apps with ipads is another disadvantage.

Trevorhb
22nd January 2015, 09:59
It is not just Predictable is expensive, it is the iPad as well. Unlike Windows computers there are no deals, just a fixed price wherever you go. The best deal I got was to order through Tesco Direct, at least you get Club Card points.

Cookewitch
22nd January 2015, 11:55
Lots of people use the Speak It app on the ipad, which is only around 6 ish.....Dad used Predicable on a loaned ipad but when we got him his own we got Speak It instead and actually found it more user friendly.

bakeit Forum