PDA

View Full Version : has anyone any knowledge about the fitting of a PIG

willsandco
3rd November 2014, 20:05
Hello all. (No , I haven't spelt it wrong!) When I went to Sheffield for clinic last week, the consultant and his medical team all said that, if and when I need a feeding tube, they would recommend a PIG. This procedure is advised because my carbon dioxide levels are just slightly up, they are advising a trial with a BIPAP machine and they are concerned about a PEG procedure because for that the patient has to be flat with no respiratory problems. I think I would prefer a PEG because you are sedated and don't know much about it (I'm a bit of a scaredy cat!!) Has anyone else had a PIG? or has anyone who has had a PEG had to lie flat down during the procedure.

Terry
3rd November 2014, 20:18
I have a link to a youtube American post showing you the opp in picture form, not an actual opp if you want it.

Regards Terry

Artmart
3rd November 2014, 20:49
Hi Joycie

Take a look at this http://www.stockport.nhs.uk/documents/PIL/43812_RAD96.pdf

As far as I could find out the PIG is like a combination of the PEG and the RIG allowing a PEG tube to be inserted but without the need for an Endoscope, thus less risk to breathing.

Hope this helps

Arthur

KarenaB
3rd November 2014, 20:55
I had my PEG fitted last Tuesday and yes I had to lie down flat for the procedure. My breathing level is very good, according to my MND coordinator the highest in the county. I still had a problem with the throat numbing spray they gave me and asked me to swallow, it felt like it had hit my lungs and caused some panic gasping for breath. I think I put up a bit of a fight & they gave me a 2nd shot of sedation and some oxygen. I've never heard of a PIG Joycie, do they not sedate you at all?

willsandco
3rd November 2014, 21:34
Apparently not, Karen. They said to me it is a thinner tube and a radiologist and an anaesthetist are in attendance throughout. That is why they would like me to be adjusted to the BIPAP machine so I could have respiratory assistance. It isn't a great urgency as I don't have major problems with swallowing and my weight is staying standard but common sense tells me a decision will have to be made eventually. Joycie

Terry
3rd November 2014, 21:47
I believe they will give you a medium sedation in all the opps. I had a RIG and they offered it in the opp theater. They will discuss it a couple of weeks before normally. I did have a very thin tube put through my nose that went into my stomach without anything, that is there to allow air to be put in to expand the stomach.

Terry

Nettie B
3rd November 2014, 21:58
Oh Joycie, What a shame they didn't explain it to you when you were there.. It wouldn't have taken long would and it would have saved you all this worry. I'm sure it's just as routine a procedure as the other two options. Do you when this is likely to be done? Trevor chokes a lot now so he's going in on November 24th.. As he can't speak clearly he is going to laminate a list of phrases that he's likely to need as he'll be staying in overnight (I hope).
I'll stay in with him if I can but I' ve a feeling there won't be space.
Joycie, I hope you find what you need from the super-knowleable folks on here. Luv Nettie

willsandco
3rd November 2014, 22:08
it's ok, Nettie. I am not particularly worried. They have explained it to me in principle but not in any great depth because it isn't an issue at the moment. The report said "if, and when you require a feeding tube..." so there is no urgency. LIke you, I have great faith in the forum and someone usually has some useful information to impart! - and I have great faith in my medical team! Hugs, Joycie.

Steve
4th November 2014, 11:21
Hi Joycie

I had the same procedure in June at Sheffield. The procedure itself lasted about 20 mins. The most uncomfortable part was inserting the tube through the mouth but that only lasted 10 secs. The rest of it was straight forward and pain free. You do have some sedation but i was awake and aware of what was happening throughout. The staff were superb I can't speak highly enough about them.

willsandco
4th November 2014, 11:44
well, thanks all and especially Steve. I hoped someone wpuld have some personal experience of it all. (I suppose I am a worry wart - just like to know what to expect!) I have great faith in the Sheffield team. Will seriously think about booking myself in - but they are going to give me a trial with the BIPAP soon. Are you on that? Did you need any respiratory assistance at all during the procedure? Good news about sedation! Joycie

Steve
4th November 2014, 12:37
I never used a BIPAP before and don't now. I was given one a week before to trial. I coped with it fine, stuck it on for an hour while watching TV a couple of times.

I used that during the procedure and they gave me a blast of oxygen toward the end. The sedation felt like a warm sleepy feeling, not enough to put me out but pleasant enough. I needed pain relief for a couple of days after but it was more of a dull ache than a sharp pain.

It is the best thing I did and as a result my weight has remained stable since the op. I was losing weight rapidly before.

Jangobie
4th November 2014, 13:37
My husband has respiratory onset MND and has not been able to lay flat or breath without a ventilator for all of the time since diagnosis, originally only at night but over the last year most of the time but he went into Lane Fox at St Thomas' hospital and had a peg fitted. During the whOle time he had either his small nasal mask or his usual full mask. Everything went incredibly well and he was only in for 2 nights. They are very experienced on fitting these pegs for people who use bipaps. Just wanted to let you know that it is not true when they say that the peg cannot be fitted when people use a bipap machine may be it is just that they don't know how to do it!!!!

willsandco
4th November 2014, 20:01
Hello, Jangobie. Can you remember if he was able to lay flat throughout the procedure? Because I cannot do that, because my breath goes, that is why Sheffield are recommending a PIG instead of a PEG. When I had the MRI scan in January, they had to put me in a small pillow. Joycie

DaiTheDragon
4th November 2014, 22:19
I can't lay flat without my BiPap machine. Before the procedure I had a small tube inserted through my nose into my stomach ready to inflate my stomach during the op. I was laying flat with my full face mask on all the time. I had a local anaesthetic in my stomach. I did panic during the op and had to sit up 4 times during the op which made the job a lot harder for the radiologist who performed the op. According to him I was the most difficult patient he has ever had and didn't want another one like me.

David

bakeit Forum