PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning my teeth and mouth

Hazelnut
12th November 2014, 14:28
This week I had a visit from my District Nurse. I told her that I was having problems cleaning my teeth inside and keeping my mouth fresh.

She told me to visit my dentist - which I will do. Whilst I wait to see him does anyone here have any tips on this matter?
My jaw is closing up and I already have to use a child's toothbrush to get it in there! I am fed and watered thru' my RIG so don't have food deposits but saliva and plaque do build up.

Hazelnut

Terry
12th November 2014, 18:14
Don't think I'll be much help Nazelnut;

There is an information sheet on it and the link is:- http://www.mndassociation.org/Resources/MNDA/Life%20with%20MND/Information%20sheet%2012%20-%20Oral%20hygiene.pdf

I use mouth was whilst siting in the shower so it does not matter if I make a mess. I also chew some really flavored gum that refashions mouth as well as crushed ice or ice pops, probably all are beyond you.

Regards Terry

marieline
13th November 2014, 03:20
Hello Hazelnut,
Sorry to har that. Do not stop trying using the toothbrush. The jaw is lazy from underuse and just need a bit of persistence and insistence. So long you believe it is safe to do so. I suggest you try your best everyday and see if it gets easier, at least until you see the dentist. I don't know if you can swallow anything, but i am a big fan of lemon juice, vitamin C tablets in lieu of mouthwash, because i never like the taste of it. The thing about MND is that some of us are already on medication to suppress excessive salivation. Terry as usual have excellent tip, you can tell he is a fireman.
Best wishes
Marieline

Terry
13th November 2014, 11:06
Come on Marieline;

What's teeth and mouth cleaning got to do with being a fireman???

Terry

Hazelnut
13th November 2014, 11:16
Thanks Terry and Marieline,

I am now completely tube fed and will visit my dentist next week ans see shat he can do - Terry - thanks for the MNDA leaflet.

Kind regards

Geraldine

Barry52
13th November 2014, 11:40
Hello Hazelnut,

The electric toothbrushes have a small head and narrow shank. They also have a wide handle which makes it easier to hold.

Regards
Barry

Terry
13th November 2014, 12:01
Hi Barry;

I found that the high frequencies of some of the new electric tooth brushes very difficult as they set everything going and I could not bear to use them. I have an older rotating only type and after a short while managed to use it well.

Terry

Cookewitch
13th November 2014, 16:28
For Dad I bought little sponges on a stick (a plastic one rather than cardboard) and I would dunk this in mouthwash and run it around inside his mouth. His jaw did involuntarily slam shut so it has to be done with care as you wouldn't want to bite of the sponge at the end. We did persist with the electric toothbrush too....it wasn't perfect but it was the best we could do. We also did it three times a day as it did help with saliva albeit not very much. Dad was fully PEG fed by that point too.

I bought the little sponges from Amazon. The do green ones for about 15 for 200 I think it was. I may even still have some left....let me know if you would like me to send them to you to 'try before you buy' as it were!

We got the idea from the hospital as it was what the nurses were using.

marieline
14th November 2014, 00:57
Come on Marieline;

What's teeth and mouth cleaning got to do with being a fireman???

Terry
Hi Terry,
I was just saying that you keep it simple and real, i am sure that is part of the fireman package :) I am all admiration Terry.

X Best wishes Marieline

bakeit Forum