PDA

View Full Version : :D Questions about foot drop and flu shot

BlueEyesOhio
20th November 2014, 04:30
Evening all,
I have a few questions.

1) I have been told I have the beginnings of foot drop on left leg. Would it make my left leg and knee hurt? My leg feels stiff and it is difficult to walk on it. Pain in it but I can't determine where it is coming from. Could it be foot drop causing it? Is foot drop painful?

2) Should I get a flu and pneumonia shot this year. I usually get a bit sick from them. I was wondering with MND, does it weaken your immune system so that I'm more likely to feel ill from it?

(((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))

Lynne

pete
20th November 2014, 07:33
Evening all,
I have a few questions.

1) I have been told I have the beginnings of foot drop on left leg. Would it make my left leg and knee hurt? My leg feels stiff and it is difficult to walk on it. Pain in it but I can't determine where it is coming from. Could it be foot drop causing it? Is foot drop painful?

2) Should I get a flu and pneumonia shot this year. I usually get a bit sick from them. I was wondering with MND, does it weaken your immune system so that I'm more likely to feel ill from it?

(((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))

Lynne

Hi Lynne ,
I cannot remember any pain before my foot drop became worse, the only reason I noticed was my foot would catch the floor as I walked despite it feeling normal ,looking the toes where down, maybe the pain your getting is other joints and muscle groups working overtime to try and compensate, you can get a support to help lift your foot , in my case not very successful .
As for the flu jab ,this years is a combination of strains ,don't know if you get the same type in the states , but this year it's made me feel a bit off colour , and reading the websites I am not the only one . What is certain it's probably better than catching the flu for real.

Hugs back to you ,keep positive.

Jock
20th November 2014, 07:36
Hi Lynne -

I have foot drop with my right leg. The only pain I get is from bending the knee - especially suddenly as in a fall. When foot drop kicks in (excuse the pun) the leg acts lazy and unresponsive to your needs. I have to pick the right leg up with my hands or use the left leg to move it. The left leg moves me about and supports me when in the standing position - the right leg is just along for the ride. :) Al lthis burden on the left leg means I don't walk far or stand for long.

I see no reason not to continue with your shots - although I personally wouldn't mind double pneumonia in a few years when life feels less worth living.

Terry
20th November 2014, 11:44
Hi Lynne;

I agree with the posts above regarding the feet/knees, I have never taken or be offered the pneumonia jab and did not have any aftereffects from the flu one this year.

Terry

ccinjersey
20th November 2014, 12:10
Hi Lynne

Don’t know if this is any help being my flu shot it not related to mnd, but I can tell you this. I never took the flu shot, and never got the flu. A few years ago I started to take it, and within a day or two developed a sore throat, low grade fever and all over body aches for about two weeks. So then I decided not to take it any more and still didn’t get the flu.

This year the healthcare organization I work for required all health care workers to get the flu shot (they gave it to us for free) and any employee that refused the shot would have to wear a mask on their face the entire time at work, this went for everyone doctors, nurses etc

So rather then sit with a mask on my face all day at work I took the shot again. The strain was a dead virus and this year was the first time I did not get sick from it. I don’t know if like Pete said the strain used was a different combination then usual, but for the first time I had no side effects from it.

CCxx

pete
20th November 2014, 13:02
Hiya CC,

Your CDC have admitted that the flu vaccine isn't working, !!! ,they don't give the reason why ,other than a navy ship had an outbreak of flu in the crew , as you know all military persons are vaccinated ,so maybe that explains why you havnt had any unpleasant effects, have to say mine only lasted a day ,I feel fine today. Hope you don't get the flu, us Brits swear blind just because we have a runny nose ,we are at deaths door, so being really ill with proper influenza ,well you can imagine ??.

Pete
XXX

Ellie
20th November 2014, 14:16
Hi Lynne,
I get pain from foot drop in the front of my ankle, in bed only, so I have to wear a support.
I had the PPV Pneumonia vaccine a few years ago and get the flu jab every year. I've never had the flu and don't want to get it with MND, whatever I can do to protect my lungs, I'll do! (including banning any ill visitors)
Ellie x

willsandco
20th November 2014, 14:18
I had the flu jab with no adverse affects. I just don't want to be risking having the flu with bulbar onset MND! (One step too far, methinks!) Hope you are Ok and not too hampered with the atrocious weather. Hugs Joycie xx

ccinjersey
20th November 2014, 21:57
Hi Pete

Don’t know in your country but here back in the day it seemed flu shots were recommended for the elderly and those with compromised health issues, which is understandable. Now they want everyone to take it !

The nurse that gave me the shot said it wouldn’t stop a person from getting the flu, but the severity and duration would be a lot less.

For me I would prefer to let my immune systems do it’s job, and take my chances, but when having a choice between a face mask for 6 hours a day on the job or the shot it was a no brainer. I certainly didn’t like be given an ultimatum though.

CCxxx

BlueEyesOhio
21st November 2014, 02:53
Evenin'
Well, I missed going with hubby to his Doctor appointment! Usually I go with him and just ask the Doc and he'll give me the flu shot there and then. So we'll have to make another appointment. I was feeling wobbly today and didn't have the energy to go out.

After I gave all those speeches in here about being positive I sure got a slap down. I felt SO low today!!! There are a lot of things going on besides MND in my life. Things beyond my control, sad things. One of them being my little doggy is sick. I just adore the little guy and any thought of him being sick just sends me.

This weather might be a deterrent to a positive attitude. We currently have a foot of snow on the ground. (not sure how that translates to your measurement, ahhhh hubby said 30.48 cm) The wind is howling outside!

I hope you all are well. We DO just soldier on don't we?

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))) I truly appreciate each and every one of you!! ;)

Lynne

Jock
21st November 2014, 07:33
Sorry to learn of your dog Lynne. On the bright side be happy you are not living in Buffalo. :)

Trevorhb
21st November 2014, 10:50
Had the flu jab with no after effects. I think it is very important you have it.
Trevor

Sueb
21st November 2014, 11:14
Steve went for flu jab and she gave it me too. No side effects apart from me having a sore arm for a few days. Think that was because she was gentler with Steve! Better work, haven't had flu for 30 odd years only the occasional mild cold.

Sue

pete
21st November 2014, 11:50
Hi CC,

Yes it was the same here the aged and infirm ,now most at risk is the new phrase, pretty much any disabled person gets the jab, as do carers , obviously there are some who won't benefit and those who will, but I think looking back never having had injections other than travel needed and the odd tetanus booster ,I didn't get flu or have jabs so I was fortunate to escape. I can imagine having to wear the mask all day would be a bit of a trial, and no one likes ultimatums or maybe it was how it was delivered to you, very often it is not what is said ,it's how it's said. Did they know about Vinny and Co ??. Brave or stupid if they did.

PeteXXX

ccinjersey
21st November 2014, 13:05
Hi Pete

Hahaha :) They are a big organization I work for (but then again so is Uncle Vinny lol) it came in the form of a letter to all employee, shot or mask. They put it diplomatically stating we are protecting our patients from getting the flu by wearing the masks if not vaccinated.

There are quite a few employees wearing the masks, they look like they are ready to scrub up to go into surgery lol. Have to say it makes the patients more uneasy seeing medical staff with masks on, because they don’t know the reason why they are wearing them

To make matters worse we have big red and white signs posted everywhere about Ebola from the CDC. Big warning signs telling people to basically stop in their tracks if the have they have any of the symptoms posted on the warning signs!! These poor patients are having full blown anxiety attacks before they even see the doctor !! Lol

What happened to the good old days Pete, remember when doctors made house calls, knew everyone in the family and I certainly don’t recall anyone catching the flu from the doctor ??!

Hi Lynne

Sorry to hear about your dog, they really are beloved family members. I do love the snow, send some my way! Think of it as a positive, you can stay in, stay warm, snuggle up, and have some hot chocolate :)

CCxoox

marieline
22nd November 2014, 03:08
Hello Lynne, i do hope that your energy is picking up. Flu vaccine is a personal choice. Each one of us will react differently to it. I personally will only have a vaccine when it's compulsory, like for travel. I have been lucky enough touching wood, i have a regime of high Vit C, garlic, Zinc throughout the year, that seems to keep me rather healthy. I also avoid crowds during flu season, so i've been spared.

I hope your little dog is doing well, keep warm and take care
Marieline

bakeit Forum