PDA

View Full Version : Nose dripping or excess saliva

Michaeldw
24th November 2014, 17:11
I suffer a runny nose, usually at meal times but not excessive saliva.

Is this common .

Jock
24th November 2014, 17:16
In the course of my readings I have not found a runny nose to be associated as such with MND. Possibly your immune system is affected and you get colds easily. All that said I'm not an expert of any sort. :)

KarenaB
24th November 2014, 19:04

Is this common .

I have Bulbar MND and have had a problem with runny nose for some time. It seemed to start before I started noticing first syptoms which for me were with my speech. I wish I'd bought shares in Kleenex to be honest it was that much of a problem. I recently put in an air purifier and ioniser and things have improved a lot for me.

When you say meal times are a problem could the food be hot and the steam be loosening the mucus causing your nose to run?

Karen

Springtime
24th November 2014, 19:55

Is this common .

Hello Michael,

I don't think its very common, because I have mentioned it to a few Docs since Jims diagnosis. However, like you my Jim suffers from a runny nose and especially at meal times. This has been happening for a few months now. He also suffers with respiratory problems and yes I feel the runny nose symptoms are all related to MND, but that is only my opinion. MND present in various ways, my husband has always had a weakness in his chest and the MND seems to be homing in on those muscles. Take Care Spring x

DaiTheDragon
24th November 2014, 20:33
I have Bulbar onset and have problems with my nose running quite a lot. There is no way of knowing when it happens.
I have just started using Rinatec nasal spray which was prescribed for me by my speech therapist.
David

GrannieAnnie
25th November 2014, 00:16
I have bulbar onset too, and I too have a runny nose! I also grunt a lot and wondered if others have this problem - seems to be worse in the evenings and at night when I am tired and it wakes me up. It feels as though my throat is restricting the flow of air - anyone else have this problem. I'm seeing the respiratory team soon so hope they will come up with something. Thanks AnnE

Trevorhb
25th November 2014, 16:36
Yes I grunt as well Annie, that and many other funny noises, you should hear me laugh! My nose often runs when I get up, I put that down to it being blocked overnight, the trouble is I cannot blow it or spit out saliva. I am waiting for suction machine to be delivered..

Springtime
25th November 2014, 18:44
I have bulbar onset too, and I too have a runny nose! I also grunt a lot and wondered if others have this problem - seems to be worse in the evenings and at night when I am tired and it wakes me up. It feels as though my throat is restricting the flow of air - anyone else have this problem. I'm seeing the respiratory team soon so hope they will come up with something. Thanks AnnE
Hi Annie,

My jim also makes some strange noises in his throat and the grunting noises..........Oh heck the grunting noises!!! they don't disturb jim at all but make me nearly jump out of my skin LOL xx

martin
15th November 2018, 12:17
I suffer a very runny nose when I first get up in the morning.

If I go and lie down on the bed for an hour it dries up and doesn't seem to bother me until bedtime. When I go to bed for the night, as long as I breathe through my nose it dries up quickly.

I'm taking 2 sprays of Avamys morning and evening and 2 Hyoscine morning, noon and night. I was diagnosed with MND at the end of August but my runny nose started in April.

TIANDB
15th November 2018, 15:49
Hi martin.
I will point you to a cheap and effective possible remedy ? GALPHARM BLOCKED NOSE RELIEF 12.2mg CAPSULES COLDS FLU HAYFEVER PHENYLEPHRINE . You can get them on ebay. Maybe take one before bed and see if it helps ?
Take care dude and best luck.. TIANDB.

bakeit Forum