PDA

View Full Version : Is being slightly over weight better?

Chris
17th June 2011, 11:17
Found this on another forum

http://www.alzforum.org/new/detail.asp?id=2793

Basically being slightly over weight is better :rolleyes: I need to put on over a stone to get slightly over weight! Time to start eating like a pig :)

MattJ
17th June 2011, 11:39
Hi Chris,

Check out the forum thread below with a link to another article about weight:

http://forum.mndassociation.org/showthread.php?277-Eat-Drink-and-Be-Healthy-is-the-Motto-in-ALS&highlight=weight

Studies show that people who are slightly overweight at the time of diagnosis, and people who maintain their weight through the course of the disease, live longer than those who start out thinner or lose weight as ALS progresses...

G60dubber
17th June 2011, 11:51
This is very interesting. I know how my body reacts quite badly if I go a period of time without eating, I'd always eaten shed loads when I was training so it would be interesting to know (retrospectively) whether that helped delay the progression at the time. Especially when you consider neurotrophic factors of exercise. Might try reintroducing protein shakes as a muscle feeder like I used to when exerting muscle greatly.

Prob best avoiding junk like take aways to put your weight on Chris due to the MSG content, ie rilutek being a glutamate suppressor!! Loads of fresh fish & nuts is a good way of getting good fats. Fats have 4 times as many calories per gram as carbs do so a great way of getting more energy, plus they are more sustained release.

Chris
17th June 2011, 13:59
Dam i was just gonna eat chicken madras for breakfast dinner and tea lol

Jeannie
17th June 2011, 16:29
Mild obesity appears to improve survival in ALS patients http://www.massgeneral.org/about/pressrelease.aspx?id=1361

We were surprised to find that body mass index or BMI – a measure of weight adjusted for height – made a large difference in survival. Patients with a BMI of 30 to 35, who would be considered mildly clinically obese, lived the longest; and patients who were overweight, with a BMI of 25 to 30, lived the second longest."

Interesting because my BMI has never hit over 25, it has been 20 and as low as 16 over the past five years and I'm in my 11th year of living with ALS.

jadedjohn
17th June 2011, 16:47
Hi jeannie
That's interesting, and what's more interesting is the fact you have lived with mnd for 11 years, I guess your survival has a lot to do with your age, but I'm sure people on here would love to know if you have been doing anything different to the rest of us!

I was 42 when I was diagnosed and I though that was so unfair but to get Mnd in your 20's really sucks!

John

jen
17th June 2011, 16:54
I knew there was some benefit to being overweight!

Robin142857
17th June 2011, 17:44
I think this lady would approve of Chicken Madras, skin on, three times daily!

"This may be congruent with a preliminary hypothesis based on my current research that a component of animal fat is neuroprotective, and that the myelin sheath is vulnerable in some individuals as consumption of animal fat decreases. As more individuals adopt a vegan lifestyle, we need to analyze whether the rate of certain psychiatric and neurological disorders, such as ALS, increases in this population .(from the same source as #1, further down the page).

Z3 Driver
19th June 2011, 09:02
Well i eat what i want when i want , i do still try the 5 a day ( did this religiously pre MND ) but dont let it rule me anymore. In fact had an Indian last night . :p
Strange thing for me is that although i have gained a little tum , my weight has dropped.
I think its important to enjoy your favourite foods while we can with a drink of choice , all in moderation of course.
so when we going out for a Madras then Chris ? ;)

Chris
19th June 2011, 09:16
Maybe if we did have a get together we could meet at an Indian :) madras all round!

Jeannie
19th June 2011, 17:28
Hi John,

Fortunately, I have slow progression although through the early years I trialled many different drugs and treatments to which had no affect on my progression.

I had Indian for dinner last night chicken tikka rogan josh, bombay potatoes, king prawn butterfly, onion bhaji and poppadom yummy.

miranda
23rd June 2011, 19:01
What is going on? I also had Indian last night!! Mind you was only Chicken Korma - have never been able to cope with the stronger stuff. As a matter of interest, when I was diagnosed, the dietitian suggested plenty of olive oil, butter and cream and emphasised the importance of not losing weight. This suits me fine and all the cream etc. enables me to swallow things that otherwise I know I would choke on.

Michaeldw
4th July 2011, 22:43
I was told high cholesterol was good too.

Chris
4th July 2011, 23:07
My dad has now made it his mission to feed me up after a being 4 pound down in weight at hosi vist last week, now just 10 stone!

jadedjohn
5th July 2011, 12:58
Chris thats interesting, I have been eating like a pig for the last couple of weeks, I was 14stone 10. Now I'm 13, 13

I cant remember the last time I was under 14 stone, it must be the fact ourmuscles are going and muscle is heavier than fat

What's for tea :o

John

Z3 Driver
5th July 2011, 16:06
Well i am working hard to maintain weight , but have a little tub . managing to stay just over 10 stone .

steak chips and a few pints needed tonight i think :)

Chris
5th July 2011, 16:27
Ive never really been that heavy to be honest, always been around 10 to 10 and a half stone. I used to love cooking but since my hands have become pretty useless ive lost interest, also sick of buttering my arms and fingers instead of bread/toast, peeling things is too hard because i either drop the spud or stab myself lol. My motivation to make myself anything has dropped rapidly.

G60dubber
5th July 2011, 20:55
I can empathise with you Chris, I used to cook loads but can't peel, chop lift pans etc :-(. I was surprised that I was still around 12 1/2 stone last week when they did the final assessment for the dex trial.

bakeit Forum