PDA

View Full Version : Experiences with Vitamins

Jacqui Priestley
22nd December 2010, 01:52
I've been told over & over again that vitamins don't slow down progression, but what about helping with symptoms? I had quite a bit of cramp when first diagnosed but have been taking Vit E for the last 3 months & no cramps. There is a trial going on in the US to test the efficacy of Vit E for cramps - no results yet so don't know if I'm just experiencing placebo effect. Any of you had similar experience?

Batty
22nd December 2010, 10:06
The idea behind taking extra vitamins is to boost the immune system.

sarahezekiel
22nd December 2010, 12:18
I was getting terrible thrush on and off, for over one year. All of the prescription drugs weren't working and I took loads. I had a look on the net for supplements to help thrush. I'm now taking garlic pills, probiotics, aloe vera and eat natural yoghurt (yuk!). I haven't had thrush for over a month and feel great. I think they're working for me for this problem. Sounds like vitamin E is working for you, Mrs. P.

Sarah

Wayne
22nd December 2010, 17:36
If I remember right from science lessons at school, Natural Yoghurt used to be applied directly on to ladies with thrush of genitalia, so in theory thrush in the mouth/throat should also have a beneficial affect.

As for Vit E who knows what effects it may have on the body, at one time Kings used to recommend taking high doses, I have been lead to believe they've stopped that now...unless someone knows better..

Wayne....

sarahezekiel
23rd December 2010, 22:44
I've done that too Wayne! :o

My neurologist told me about vitamin E too... all those years ago!

Sarah

Graham
24th December 2010, 18:46
Hi Mrs P,

I have been "troubled" by cramps for 2 years now and have literally seen muscles recover from atrophy during the cramping stage. A paining muscle is a muscle alive!

Merry Christmas

Graham

computatec
31st December 2010, 17:45
Hi Graham

I am intrigued by your observations about cramps. I am seriously troubled by cramps and have always regarded them as something harmful, so the idea that something beneficial is happenning is exciting. I would very much like to learn more about how muscles work but information is hard to find.

I have learned that when the electrical connection to a bundle of nerve fibres is damaged, new connections will be made from adjacent undamaged bundles. The result is that two or more bundles are then controlled by a single motor neuron instead of each having it's own connection. This makes the muscle less able to respond to fine control and it is felt as a general clumsiness in the affecetd limb. This is as far as I have got and I need to understand at what point a muscle bundle becomes totally disconnected and atrophies. My understanding is that there is nothing wrong with our muscle fibres and they only waste away when the are totally orphaned by lack of motor neuron control.

Can anyone add to this?

Graham
31st December 2010, 19:08
Hi Clive,

I have found that I can easily conquer my cramps by fully stretching the affected muscle as soon as it appears, usually during sleep before waking. Doctors are quick to prescribe Baclofen and other muscle relaxants, but as we are challenged with muscle loss anyway, I can't see the sense.
As my muscles recover from atrophy, I go through a cramps stage. Muscle cramps per group can last 1 day to 3-4 months. We have 600 muscle groups and my cramps have been going on over 2 years altogether so far. Once a muscle group has cramped it is fully recovered and hasn't cramped since. Methodically all the muscle groups are going through this process.
There is upper motor neuron damage in pyramidal tract/cortico-spinal tract/bulbar, demylination(nerve insulation) damage associated with PLS and lower motor neuron damage down the spine and on the nerve branches to the limbs/lungs associated with PMA/ALS. Cramps and spasticity are associated with upper motor neurons. The whole nerve system is analogous with a computer with inputs/outputs.
Wikipedia/Google is useful with the key words.

Best wishes

Graham

computatec
9th February 2011, 18:53
Hi Clive,

I have found that I can easily conquer my cramps by fully stretching the affected muscle as soon as it appears, usually during sleep before waking.

Hi Graham

I have been trying your remedy for cramps and fully stretching the affected muscle as soon as it starts and it works. Thanks! Like you, I will not take any medication for the cramps so its good to have a way of minimising the discomfort as it occurs.

Clive

computatec
9th February 2011, 19:25
I have found an interesting supplement, Astaxanthin. It is an extremely powerfull antioxidant that has benefits for muscles and can also cross the blood brain barrier to support the nervous system. I am thinking of taking this in place of Vit E. Has anyone tried this before?

DESCRIPTION: Astaxanthin is a natural health supplement with powerful antioxidant benefits. In controlled trials astaxanthin has shown to be far more powerful than other antioxidants such as vitamin E and beta-carotene.
Astaxanthin`s ability to scavenge free radicals has lead many to believe it may help support the body in protecting itself from the harmful effects of UV radiation and allow users to stay out in the sun longer than is advised using normal spf creams.
Nutrex Hawaii produces BioAstin from microalgae and it was the first source of astaxanthin for human nutrition that has been reviewed by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
A growing body of scientific literature demonstrates that natural astaxanthin surpasses many of the antioxidant benefits of vitamin C, vitamin E, beta-carotene and other carotenoids.
Research has also shown that natural astaxanthin has up to 550 times the antioxidant activity of vitamin E and 10 times the antioxidant activity of beta-carotene.
The benefits of Astaxanthin:
• Helps support the body in protecting itself from ultraviolet radiation.
• Helps support and maintain health by providing essential antioxidants.
• Helps support fast muscle recovery after exercise or physical activity.
• Is considerably more effective than many other antioxidants.
• Helps maintain muscular strength and endurance.
• Far Reaching & Unique – Crosses the `blood-brain barrier` to help deliver support directly to the brain, eyes and nervous system.

Clive

jadedjohn
9th February 2011, 20:21
Clive

I take 5000Mg of Vit E and about 900Mg of Q10 and that has pretty much stopped my cramps. i know it works for me cos if i stop taking them after about 3 days they come back.

hope this helps

john

computatec
10th February 2011, 22:57
Clive

I take 5000Mg of Vit E and about 900Mg of Q10 and that has pretty much stopped my cramps. i know it works for me cos if i stop taking them after about 3 days they come back.

hope this helps

john

That is a very high strength John. Do you have to get a prescription for those supplements? I have never seen this strength in the health shops.

Clive

Graham
11th February 2011, 00:02
Hi Clive,

It would be interesting if we compared notes on how the cramps move through our bodies. My notes over the past two years are in 'I am with you' on build-uk.

My experience has been that the cramps indicate the muscle group that is regenerating.

Pain is a function of motor neurones and I suspect the brain does respond positively to the pain.

Best wishes

Graham

jadedjohn
11th February 2011, 09:12
hi Clive. no i buy all my vitamins from healthspan - they do Vitamin E at 400iU - 268Mg so i take 17 of those per day (with Breakfast Dinner and Tea).

The Q10 are available from them in 200Mg so i take around 4-6 per day.

i also take around 3000mg of Vit c.

my doctor does not believe in suppliments - when i told him what i was taking he said "oh you dont need all that rubbish a good healthy diet is all you need"

John

computatec
12th February 2011, 14:37
Hi John, unfortuneately that is a fairly common response from the medical profession when you ask about vitamins. The dose you are taking is similar to the amount given in various trials, which did not provide any positive results but also found there were no adverse effects in the short term.

My interest in vitamins is to try to slow down or halt the progression of the disease. The most important thing, in my opinion, is how well our bodies absorb the supplements we take.

Q10 is normally sold in the form of Ubiquinone. Before we can use this it has to be broken down in our liver to the reduced form which is Ubiquinol, which is easliy absorbed. There is a suggestion that older people have difficulty in converting Q10 from the one form to the other. A laboratory in Japan now produces Q10 in the reduced form and this is available as Kaneka Q10 which is Ubiquinol. There are online suppliers of this.

Naturally occurring vitamin E exists in eight chemical forms (alpha-, beta-, gamma-, and delta-tocopherol and alpha-, beta-, gamma-, and delta-tocotrienol) that have varying levels of biological activity. Most vit E available only contains the alpha form but you can buy it as a Vit E Complex containing all the forms in one capsule. It is also thought to be beneficial to take vit E with an oil, such as Fish oil, to assist in absorbtion of the vit E.

I am coming to the conclusion that the we need to take vits in the form that is most easily utilised by our bodies to get the best out of them. The amount of vit E obtained from eating a fully balanced diet is only about 4mg per day, but that is in a totally natural form and not a synthetic form. I am finding it very difficult to find hard scientific data about vitamins and how our bodies use them so I have no idea how much of the synthetic product we actuall utilize.

Clive

soniamm
12th February 2011, 15:44
Following your posts with great interest I will look at astaxathin for my son. I believe that vitamins can help.

My son and his girlfriend are eXpecting a baby any day now so we have arranged to collect stem cells from the cord. Neuro has said that stem cells not necessarily the way to go but it seems to good an opportunity to miss. Do any of you have views on this.

Sonia

computatec
12th February 2011, 19:06
Hi Sonia

I agree that you have a wonderful opportunity to harvest stem cells and you should do it. I believe our muscles do not disappear when they atrophy, and so they could be brought back into use if the nerve control was re established. The only way to do that is to rebuild the motor neurons and stem cells seem to offer the only hope of that so far.

I am going to try Astaxanthin soon. I am going for the 4mg capsules, taking them twice a day for two weeks then one a day. I will use the BioAstin product as that has been evaluated by the American FDA.

Clive

soniamm
14th February 2011, 17:42
Hi Clive

I have now put in an order for BioAstin Astaxathin via the internet from the USA, I hope this goes a little way to helping, my son has such pain on and off, even a little relief would be something. Watch this space....

Sonia

computatec
15th February 2011, 22:30
Hi Sonia

This morning I found a good UK supplier for the BioAstin and at a good price too. Next day delivery. Email me privately and I will give you the link.

Clive

laurahill
16th February 2011, 11:27
I think vitamin E supplement important role to prevent the health problem. vitamin E has a good anti-oxidant property and it also help to metabolism of other vitamins.

computatec
16th February 2011, 19:20
Hi Laura

I think you have made an important point and that is vitamins may work best synergysticaly. We tend to look at each vitamin in isolation, but that is not how it works in nature, where we take in a cocktail of viamins every time we eat. I have read that the absorbtion of vitamin E is much enhanced by taking it with cod liver oil for example. So much to learn, but where do we find good information?

Clive

G60dubber
16th February 2011, 22:53
Just read up further on the Astaxanthin after reading the posts on it. I find it really interesting that it can pass the BBB, so have just placed my order for the one that's been identified. Thanks for your posts, it has been helpful and informative.
I'm going to up my water intake to assist in cleansing, but add in 1000mg of vit C, one for the immune support aspect and seconly due to the water increase and water soluble nature of the vit C. Will also use a basic mutivit/min to fill any gaps that 'proper' food diet fluctauations can cause. Let's see how it goes.....

Has anyone looked at things like Spirulina, Chlorella or Wheat Grass as these offer a powerful source of detoxification. The reason I ask is that it's all well and good challenging the free radicals in our system with antioxidant products, but if you can't cleanse your system down will it be as beneficial?
Would welcome your thoughts :-)

Jacqui Priestley
17th February 2011, 12:01
Spirulina - yep, tried it too, and it is absolutely foul!! I bought the powder form as the tablets were huge. It makes up into a green sludge which tastes disgusting & turns your tongue green. You are supposed to take it in 250ml liquid but I only managed a teaspoon. Best of British with that one.

jadedjohn
17th February 2011, 15:56
Spirila I've been taking them for some while now in tablet form and I find when I don't take them I get extremely tired I take 4.5 g per day and it makes a hell of a difference.

I got mine from the link below and yes they tastes vile but at least in tablet form you can swallow them

regards John

http://www.naturallygreen.co.uk/spirulina-tablets-500mg-x-500-p-325.html

Jacqui Priestley
17th February 2011, 16:27
John, thanks for the link. How do you work out how much to take?

jadedjohn
17th February 2011, 16:33
i take 3 with each meal so 9 per day. that is 4.5g ie 500mg x 9

hope this helps

john

computatec
23rd February 2011, 18:27
Here is the science about Astaxanthin:

Cognitive Benefits of BioAstin Natural Astaxanthin

Some other nutraceuticals have begun to attain a certain level of fame for having beneficial properties for the brain. But due to BioAstin’s superior antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, indications are that it will prove to be superior to all other nutraceuticals for brain health. There is substantial evidence that most diseases associated with the brain are the result of oxidation and/or inflammation. Free radicals and singlet oxygen wreak havoc over time in your head, and the consequences, if left unchecked, manifest in such horrible diseases as:

• Alzheimer’s disease
• Parkinson’s disease
• Huntington’s disease
• Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (Lou Gehrig’s disease)
• Senility
• Injuries resulting from trauma
• Inflammatory injuries
• Other forms of age-related dementia

It is essential that people take antioxidants that can cross the blood-brain barrier as they get older to protect these vital organs. Scientists believe that something may cause people’s internal antioxidant defense system to malfunction or wear out as we age. Our bodies may lose the ability to produce high levels of the antioxidants that are normally produced internally such as superoxide dismutase, catalase and glutathione peroxidase. Also, our bodies are now subjected to unprecedented levels of oxidation caused by environmental factors such as pollution, containments, processed food and the high levels of stress in modern life. All of these lead to an assault on our vital organs as we age, particularly our brains and eyes.

Many antioxidants and even carotenoids that are closely related to Natural Astaxanthin cannot cross the blood-brain barrier. Dr. Mark Tso, PhD was the first person who proved that Astaxanthin could cross the blood-brain barrier. He took laboratory rats and tested their eyes for Astaxanthin. As expected, he did not find any present. Then he fed the rats Astaxanthin and retested, this time finding Astaxanthin present in the retina. He proved that Astaxanthin could cross first the blood-brain barrier and get into the brain, and then once in the brain it could reach the retina and the macula by crossing through the blood-retinal barrier.

Through an extensive series of tests, Dr. Tso went on to prove that Astaxanthin has many protective properties once it reaches the brain and eyes. Among the many benefits that Dr. Tso found include Astaxanthin’s ability to protect the eye from:

• Light-induced damage
• Photoreceptor cell damage
• Ganglion cell damage
• Neuronal damage
• Inflammatory damage
(Tso, et al, U.S. Patent No. 5,527,533, 1996).

A series of tests on rodents at the International Research Center for Traditional Medicine in Japan show great potential. In the first experiment, blood pressure was reduced by the introduction of Astaxanthin to hypertensive rats. Blood pressure is a causative factor for many diseases including some associated with the eyes and brain. The researchers went on to examine the effects of Astaxanthin on stroke prone rats. They found that after five weeks of continuous supplementation, the incidence of stroke was delayed in the treated group. Next, they established a possible mechanism for these results in-vitro, which they believed to be nitric oxide suppression.
The same study went on to demonstrate a neuroprotective effect (protection of brain function) in ischemic mice. Ischemia is the condition where there is a deficient supply of blood to the brain as a result of the obstruction of the arteries. In the case of these mice, ischemia was induced by blocking the carotid artery. In humans, this condition can be caused by plaque buildup which can block the flow of blood through the carotid artery in the neck, the primary source of blood to the brain. This build up of plaque can lead to many different maladies including stroke and different types of dementia.

The ischemic mice were fed Astaxanthin only once—just one hour before the ischemia was induced. Remarkable results were seen in the treated group—the mice performed better in a maze designed as a learning performance test. “The present results suggest that Astaxanthin can attenuate the development of hypertension and may help to protect the brain from stroke and ischemic insults…In addition, Astaxanthin showed neuroprotective effects at relatively high doses by preventing the ischemia-induced impairment of spatial memory in mice. This effect is suggested to be due to the significant antioxidant property of Astaxanthin on ischemia-induced free radicals and their consequent pathological cerebral and neural effects. The current result indicates that Astaxanthin may have beneficial effects in improving memory in vascular dementia” (Hussein, et al, 2005). It appears that Astaxanthin actually made these mice with restricted blood flow to their brains smarter by improving their memory. The implications of this study are extremely exciting, as our aging population sees growing numbers of Alzheimer’s patients, stroke sufferers and people afflicted by dementia caused by other factors. Further research in humans must be done to fully understand the potential benefit, but these pre-clinical experiments indicate that Astaxanthin may help sufferers of many brain-related diseases live better lives.
A similar study had been done previously and was published in Carotenoid Science. This study also demonstrated that Astaxanthin could prevent brain damage due to ischemia (Kudo, et al, 2002). A company in Japan did some further work in this area in a rat model. The company fed rats Astaxanthin twice: Twenty four hours before and again one hour before inducing ischemia by occluding the rats’ middle arteries. The blood flow stoppage duration was one hour, at which point blood flow to the brain was permitted to resume. The rats were given one more dose of Astaxanthin after blood flow restarted, and then two hours later the rats were sacrificed and their brains were removed. The brains were compared to rats from a control group fed olive oil, and it was found that the rats fed Astaxanthin had 40% less brain damage than the control group (Oryza, 2006).

To summarize, there is strong evidence that BioAstin Natural Astaxanthin holds great promise for those wishing to prevent cognitive diseases and maintain general brain health. In particular, daily supplementation with BioAstin may have tremendous benefits for those wishing to protect there brains as they age.

References
Hussein, G., Nakamura, M., Zhao, Q., Iguchi, T., Goto, H., Sankawa, U., Watanabe, H. (2005). “Antihypertensive and neuroprotective effects of astaxanthin in experimental animals.” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin. 28(1):47-52.

Kudo, Y., Nakajima, R., Matsumoto, N. (2002). “Effects of astaxanthin on brain damages due to ischemia” Carotenoid Science. 5,25.
Oryza Oil & Fat Chemical Company. (2006). “Natural Antioxidant for Neuro-protection, Vision Enhancement & Skin Rejuvenation.” September 7, 2006.

Tso, M., Lam, T. (1996) “Method of Retarding and Ameliorating Central Nervous System and Eye Damage.” U.S. Patent #5527533.

Bob
25th February 2011, 16:58
My father has MND and has started taking vitamin E but I dont think its a complex. From what I've been reading it would be best to switch to this?

computatec
25th February 2011, 21:52
My father has MND and has started taking vitamin E but I dont think its a complex. From what I've been reading it would be best to switch to this?

Hi Bob,

I can't offer any proof at this stage that the complex is better than the usual d-Alpha Tocopherol type. My own opinion is that the complex is more natural and nearer to how we get it from our food, so it may be more readily assimilable in our bodies. I will continue to search and report back here when I find a definitive answer. Vitamin E is probably the most popular of all supplements taken by patients with MND and there do not appear to be any reasons not to take it and many neurologists reccomend it.

Clive

Bob
26th February 2011, 01:21
Thanks Clive.

I found some info on the MND Scotland website on vitamin E that was helpful. Bought some of the mixed form of it tonight (one 400 i.u capsule a day). Will see how my dad gets on.

computatec
26th February 2011, 22:22
Hi Bob

I have just read the information on the Scotland site. I think it is the most useful coverage of the vitamin question I have read so far, so here is the link for anyone else who is looking for good information about vitamins.

http://www.mndscotland.org.uk/imageuploads/file/Factsheets/11 Vitamins and MND 2009.pdf

I take the mixed tocopherals, 400 i.u. and I am going to start taking it twice a day so that the level of vit e in my body is at a more constant level.

I have believed for a long time that single vitamins in isolation are not the best way to use supplements because the absorbtion of one vitamin is often dependant on another being present. As an example, I only use whole milk because we cannot absorb the calcium if the fat has been removed as in semi or skimmed. Have you ever wondered why the milk producers add vitamins to such a natural product? The main thing to note is that vitamins work in combination with each other, not in isolation, so we do better to take a cocktail of vitamins. This is brought out very clearly in the MND Scotland fact sheet.

Clive

drof
27th February 2011, 14:36
Just wondered if anyone has tried mega doses of Vitamin C to help with symptoms. I have osteoarthritis and was told by my GP that nothing other than painkillers would help. I decided not to use drugs and try alternatives and in doing so came across the research of Dr Linus Pauling and Dr Robert Cathcart on Vitamin C. At the moment I take 55 grams of Vit C every day and I have had quite dramatic improvement in swelling and joint pain. Whilst reading Dr Pauling's book there is a extract from a letter from another Doctor who was suffering with ALS who states he is a medical miracle as he has had ALS for 8 years and has managed to localize loss of function by taking 12 to 20grams of ascorbic acid (Vit C) at least 200mg of B complex every day and avoids fats and grease. If this information could help anyone I would be so pleased as I lost my brother to ALS and I know how keen he was to try anything to help his condition

soniamm
27th February 2011, 15:31
Hi all

We recently ordered Astaxanthin from 'iherb' in the states, it came three days ago, very quick delivery. My son has now started on 2 a day (400 mg each dose) I will feedback if he has any indication that this is helping in any way, he is also taking vit e.

I get a bit lost with all the information that is posted but intend to keep up with you guys as I do have belief in natural supplements.

I would be interested to know if 400 gm sounds right as a single dose.

Sonia

computatec
27th February 2011, 20:53
Hi Sonia

Astaxanthin is only available in 4mg or 6 mg strength. If you bought the BioAstin Supreme it has 6mg plus 400mg of pure olive oil, so I supsect you may have misread the label. The reccomended dose is 4mg and that was the only strength I could find in UK. I have read that taking 10mg a day is better for people like us and the earlier you can start the better. Be prepared to hang in there for the long haul as results from vitamins and supplements are seldom immediate or dramatic, so give it at least six weeeks before you judge if it is having any good effect.

Clive

MikeFD
27th February 2011, 23:54
Hi All,

Just in case you've tried clicking the link to the Scottish MND Association vitamins document detailed by Clive in post #31 above and had an error message 'Cannot connect' from your internet browser, try the link below:

http://www.mndscotland.org.uk/imageuploads/file/Factsheets/11 Vitamins and MND 2009.pdf

If you copy Clive's link complete and paste it into your browser's address panel, it'll work fine.

FYI: There are spaces in the title of the original Factsheet .PDF document, and spaces are not permitted in a web address or URL, so your browser (eg. Internet Explorer) will replace the gaps with the web code '%20', which is the web equivalent of a letterspace. If, however, you copy the web URL from the browser address bar whilst viewing the page, and it includes the '%20' for the letterspaces, your browser may return a page not found error if you paste that 'version' of the address into another document or email and click on it again. This is because the address no longer corresponds with the original page title, ie: original PDF title was '11 Vitamins and MND 2009.pdf', and not '11%20Vitamins%20and%20MND%202009.pdf' as displayed by the web browser address field.

Clear? No? Trust me, just replace the '%20's in a web address with letterspaces and it'll work!

Regards all,

Mike.

computatec
28th February 2011, 21:12
Hi Mike, this was my fault as I did not check the link was working before I logged out. I do normally check because it is frustrating to try and follow a link that does not work so I try to avoid that when I post. Thanks for the explanation of why it went wrong and how to fix it.

Clive

sarahezekiel
7th March 2011, 22:25
I just have to say that I tried several vitamins after diagnosis and didn't see any improvement. But now I'm peri menopausal and getting joint pain, they have really helped me. I'm taking calcium + vitamin D and the pain has almost gone. Vitamins definitely have their uses!

Sarah

computatec
7th March 2011, 23:46
Vitamins and supplements do not provide a quick fix, like antibiotics. You should take them for at least 6 to 8 weeks before evaluating if they are having any effect and even then it would be best to continue with them.

I have just read a paper by Prof. Pam Shaw, published in the British Journal of Medicine, and in it she reccomends vitamin E. I am going to try to get information from her about what strength she reccomends.

Trials of vitamin E have not found any benefits so interest has declined, but I will try to get details of how the trials were conducted and the results that were obtained.

Clive

sarahezekiel
8th March 2011, 18:11
Hi Clive

my neurologist also told me to take vitamin E, which I did for quite a long time. I didn't see any improvement or difference. I can't help thinking that doctors tell us to take vitamins and Riluzole because they feel better offering something.

Sarah

Jacqui Priestley
9th March 2011, 17:54
Vitamins and supplements do not provide a quick fix, like antibiotics. You should take them for at least 6 to 8 weeks before evaluating if they are having any effect and even then it would be best to continue with them.

I have just read a paper by Prof. Pam Shaw, published in the British Journal of Medicine, and in it she reccomends vitamin E. I am going to try to get information from her about what strength she reccomends.

Trials of vitamin E have not found any benefits so interest has declined, but I will try to get details of how the trials were conducted and the results that were obtained.

Clive

Clive, have you looked at the Cochrane reports? - see link attached http://www2.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab002829.html

computatec
9th March 2011, 20:12
Clive, have you looked at the Cochrane reports? - see link attached http://www2.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab002829.htmle

Thanks Jacqui. Can you please edit your link to remove the "e" at the end of "htmle" because it is preventing the link working. I have now got at the report and read it.

This report confirms what I have long suspected, which is that the research into vitamins has not been rigorously carried out and therefore is not to be trusted. Clinical trials are very very expensive to run properly and part of the motivation for drug companies to do it is the possibility of earning big profits if successful. There is absolutely no financial incentive to conduct high quality trials of vitamins that sell over the counter for pennies. I feel that if no harmful results have been reported, such as in the case of Vit e, we can do no harm by conducting our own personal trials. There is some evidence that Vit e helps keeping cramps at bay so I am on the lookout for more evidence of this.

Clive

MikeFD
9th March 2011, 20:21
Hi Clive -

Yes, I noticed that too and I've already made the change - the link now works fine.

Mike.

Jacqui Priestley
11th March 2011, 14:14
Apologies all - I pasted into the middle of "clive" by accident. Dealt with the "cliv" but omitted the "e". Will try harder next time!!

laurahill
15th March 2011, 11:56
The idea behind taking extra vitamins is to boost the immune system.

Deficiency of vitamin E causes muscles weakness,anemia.Depending on my health condition my doctor advise me to take multivitamin supplements,multivitamins boost the energy,increase libido,improve immune system and keep away from the several diseases..I think multivitamins are the best option for get rid of cramps.

MND Connect helpline