PDA

View Full Version : falling

kevin
20th December 2014, 16:44
like most if not all i have fallen a few times since the start of my mnd . Its very diferent the way I fall now so lets run this past you see if we are all the same.

1 ) I fall like a tree no atempt to save my self no arms out trip,slip,or what ever then floor

2) i dont remember the fall . I have this image of the cause of the fall but nothing as i was falling contact with the floor is very clear . there was always a slow motion bit on the way down thats gone.

3 ) i knock the wind out of myself every time i think thats it you will never take another breath

pete
20th December 2014, 18:21
Hi Kevin,

I have been trying to remember the last time I did my party piece tumble, mostly in the chair now ,failings a think of the past, but I do remember sneezing ,and hitting the floor,then pretty much a total body spasm, unable to move for several minutes ,according to the paramedic he thought that was a result of shock , I can say the toppling backwards ones are the most scary, and resulted in the most damage so far.
No I don't remember ever not trying to stop the falling ,always broke my fall by arms outstretched ,that now might not be wise given most of my arm strength has disappeared .

Graham
20th December 2014, 18:30
Hi Kevin,

I fell over like a tree too and knocked out a front tooth four years ago. I later fell over backwards and very luckily struck my head on grass. Please be very careful, there is a danger you could take an early shower.

Terry
20th December 2014, 21:27
Hi Kevin;

It's like a bent tree, I lock up, can't protect myself and it's hard for any one to save me. Luckily I've not fallen for four years and forty days but who's counting.

Like Pete mate, I last fell after sneezing and backwards. I use a weighted walker now and that has stopped me doing the same thing again.

BEE CAREFUL, Terry

willsandco
20th December 2014, 21:45
I fall over my feet, I fall over my slippers. We have a new wet room fitted and I stumbled in there the other day. If I bend over, my body balance is all to heck and I go down on the floor. Once there, I have it all on trying to get up again! In London last month, it was easier to crawl into black cabs and haul myself up than risk reaching out for support that may or may not be forthcoming. Once upright, I stagger around. But I am not complaining, at least I can get up on two legs and still get about. And anyway, we have a cupboard full of Christmas booze, so who will know the difference? But I really do have to concentrate where I put my feet now. Go careful, Kevin. Just go careful Love Joycie x

miranda
20th December 2014, 22:27
I was always amazed I didn't do myself more damage in my "falling phase" I had lots of bruises and sometimes it took weeks to recover. If memory is correct it was mostly due to balance - or lack of! Then in May I fell from the top to the bottom of our stairs when getting off the stairlift. Don't know what happened, maybe the seat didn't latch properly, maybe it was balance? Spent four weeks in hospital with a fractured pelvis. Since then, like Pete (we are on a parallel journey!) I am more or less chair bound and haven't fallen since - touch wood.

kevin
20th December 2014, 23:28
Hi Kevin,

I have been trying to remember the last time I did my party piece tumble, mostly in the chair now ,failings a think of the past, but I do remember sneezing ,and hitting the floor,then pretty much a total body spasm, unable to move for several minutes ,according to the paramedic he thought that was a result of shock , I can say the toppling backwards ones are the most scary, and resulted in the most damage so far.
No I don't remember ever not trying to stop the falling ,always broke my fall by arms outstretched ,that now might not be wise given most of my arm strength has disappeared .
hi pete
done the fall after sneezing unbelivable amount of power there . I never put my arms out though all so diferent

kevin
20th December 2014, 23:48
Hi Terry
what did you use to weight the walker . do you have a body mass weight ratio

kevin
20th December 2014, 23:57
Hi Joycie
we use the stairs Julie gets a douvet rolls me on then drags me there .We have laminate floors so i slip along nice . Then its books under the bum to top of step 1 the angle is better then and i can drag myself up the treds grab the 2 hand rails and stand

Jock
21st December 2014, 06:17
Kevin: Terry has previously suggested one of those large bottled water containers - 5 litres I think.?

I've been with a three wheel walker since last June now. At first I could do the half mile walk to the GP in Caernarfon, but from bedroom to living-room is the best I can do now. I avoid falls because I'm sufficiently scared at the stories of broken pelvis etc...I simply don't need a broken pelvis on top of MND. I did a lot of falling over in my drinking days, so I know what it's like, but now my right arm muscles are not going to be able to offer much support. When I go down it will be due to the leg/knee giving way. I suspect that may usher my in-door wheelchair days.

I didn't know falling over from sneezing was possible - something to look forward to I suppose :)

Terry
21st December 2014, 12:20
Hi Kevin;

hijacks right again, my four wheel walker I use a gallon of water as it's clean and easy to take out. My three wheel indoor walker has a gallon of water, 10lb weight at the front and two 5lb weights at the back. Both walkers I tend to use leaving the brakes on.

I am 6 ft high and weigh about 13 1/2 stone.

I can still manage to exercise my legs and stand moving my weight to the sides and forward and back. It does help with walking??? if things get out of balance. Balancing can be dangerous so make sure that you have a bar to grab and maybe cushions around.

Terry

Jack, I think that you will miss out again on falling whilst sneezing or coughing, I think that this starts happening early on.

crackers
21st December 2014, 13:03
H Kevin
Three years ago I was falling regularly in my garden .I was also lucky in that I did not hurt myself. My experience is very similar to Jocks - drinking exeperiences an early grooming on falling techniques and now concerned about broken bone reports which I hear about . I use a 4 legged 2 wheeled walker as walking ( really shuffling) is unbelievably hard. My leg/knees also give way and I support myself in the frame until I steady myself. I just hope I can use the walker for a little longer, other than that it will be my wheelchair and the loss of further independence.

Must avoid sneezing !!

Cheers

Kelvin

Ellie
21st December 2014, 13:16
Hi Kelvin,
When I progressed from a walking frame to a power wheelchair, it gave me a sense of independence. I could go more places and faster too!
Yes, it's emotionally difficult, but nevertheless, there are "benefits" of sorts.
Ellie.

kevin
21st December 2014, 20:40
Hi Terry thats no walker its a tanker . How is it going up a kerb or over a channel you know when you have to lift front end for a change in level. Top idea water and easy to adjust. sheet lead came to mind first not good i would be mugged going round the market.
thanks again
Kevin

Terry
21st December 2014, 22:00
Hi Kevin;

I don't take that one out and it has to be pushed firmly to get up anything. I don't tend to walk out side much at all. I found what a difference the weight thing made on holiday a few years ago when I put a 20 kg scooter battery on it. What a shock, it was so stable.

I have a few weight training weights around so my son strapped them low down on the walker.

Terry

pete
21st December 2014, 22:13
Hi Kevin,

Our Terry's idea worked well ,in my case I used gallon cans of oil , and it added stability ,but also found it much harder to lift up Kerbs, that said it was a solution to a problem at the time.
I know that saying a sneeze can cause a fall but it's amazing how easy it is to loose balance ,you will become very aware how tiring it becomes thinking ahead and avoiding anything that may cause a fall, I hope you have a powered wheelchair as Ellie said its a damn site safer and the freedom of a powered chair is a plus ,although no one wants one, much better than having to rely on others so much.

pete

mik
21st December 2014, 23:35
hi all,
i do apologise but being felled by a sneeze is a new one on me and i know it shouldnt but the image has made me chuckle. i assume once this starts happening you tend to avoid pepper and stay away from housework for the fear of dust. just thought hayfever sufferers must spend most of spring picking themselves up!
i am sorry but its something that would be in a charlie chaplin film. a new meaning to the saying 'you could have knocked me down with a feather.'
mik

BlueEyesOhio
22nd December 2014, 04:46
Mik,
Our minds run in the same rut!

Lynne

Jock
22nd December 2014, 08:15
Witty Mik :) Having an appreciation for dark humour I find useful with MND.

Terry made a small, but important point with wheelers - have the breaks on to stablise matters. I wasn't always aware of this, but I was delighted to learn it.

Kevin mentions kerbs.....I avoided the old fashioned ones Kev - opting instead for the wheelchair sloping ones. When my right arm was strong enough I could lift the walker, but those days are in the past now. This actually reminds me of an experience we had outside Caernarfon's old town walls. We got on the pavement using a sloped kerb, but the other end had no slope, so we had to trace our way back and try another route.

Terry
22nd December 2014, 13:01
Naughty Naughty, Mik and lynne;

Some peoples Mnd means that a sneeze or a cough can be a whole body experience, making most of the muscles tense at the same time.

Can be funny as the last time I fall back onto a old trolley and some how did not hurt myself or damage the trolley, I don't know how.

Would have made a good clip for TV, etc. But I it did leave me with a terrible fear of falling and hurting myself very badly. I even thought about wearing a crash helmet or one of those other head protectors.

I have lost most of my fear now, I did think about making a big baby walker.

You could make a great picture of all of that, as long as everyone can have a laugh at the end.

We have to take pleasure where we can find it and laugh at some of the places we end up, Terry

pete
22nd December 2014, 13:57
Hi Terry,

Until I fell for the third time ,I wouldn't have believed a sneeze could end up with me falling backwards again, I knew it was coming and still I couldn't stop it, despite grabbing the worktop, for reasons I never understood and still don't I had no grip and just went down like a pack of cards. What this highlights is this seems to be another difference in how we respond to circumstances ,I agree I wished we had caught it on camera all three times ,at least it would show if I had improved my technique or learned nothing .you have to smile, even now it still makes me laugh when I think about it, just glad it never led to a serious injury.

crackers
22nd December 2014, 14:24
Hi all

Mick your comments on sneezing are entertaining - like them!

When I sneeze I can have major muscular contractions. I call it the 'Sneeze Freeze' . It's as Terry says a total body experience and this can happen almost anytime i.e clenching my fist, stretching my legs in the morning and in revolving doorways at hotels. This latter experience, in wheelchairs is quite an art and you need to get ready for the limited time when you and your pusher can launch into the opening .
On one particular occasion we were at a hotel in Spain facing the revolving door challenge. My Son had launched us into the doorway when I had the B' Sneeze Freeze. My legs shot forward jamming against the outside glass panels and activating the safety sensors and stopped the door revolving. We had to wait a couple of minutes for my leg muscles to contract but it felt like 2 hours as a bus load of young lads were waiting to use it also. Reception Staff quickly came to help and by then there were a good 30 odd people effected by this . Anyway we were soon out of the doorway and things were back to normal but not quite so!. The bus load of lads behind were the Ajax football team playing Barcelona that evening. As they were waiting three of the players started stripping down for a training warm up session planned late morning. I thought J'.C'. I could not have picked a better time for this.
My one claim to fame in Spain is - I stopped the Ajax football team, single handedly, in their tracks, something that many football teams wish they could do.

Think I might take up football !!

Cheers

Kelvin

ccinjersey
22nd December 2014, 15:51
LOL :) That's great and funny story Kelvin.

I don't like those automatic revolving doors. We have them at the entrance of the hospital were I work. They are extra wide to fit wheelchairs and such. They just keep spinning and spinning. I feel like if I don't time it just right to go thru, the glass panel doors will just barrel over me. I guess your right they must have sensory stoppers, a relief to know! lol

CCxox

Terry
17th November 2015, 18:19
Hi Kevin;

It's like a bent tree, I lock up, can't protect myself and it's hard for any one to save me. Luckily I've not fallen for four years and forty days but who's counting.

Like Pete mate, I last fell after sneezing and backwards. I use a weighted walker now and that has stopped me doing the same thing again.

BEE CAREFUL, Terry

Oh Dear,

It's been five years and seven days since I last hit the floor

I was at the hospice today in the gym on a balancing board when I took one hand off the bar to point to some thing.

I fell back and hit the middle of the back of my head really hard. Surprisingly I remained alert and was OK.

A bit of head and neck ache now and expect a few other problems including my shoulder.

Pleased not to be hurt badly.

Love Terry

Candle
17th November 2015, 18:21
Hope you're ok Terry.

Ellie
17th November 2015, 18:33
Oh dear is right! You broke the first rule of MND i.e. don't fall. Happy to hear there was no blood.

Luckily you've an army of Elves to help you :).

Terry
17th November 2015, 18:41
Only eight lives left, I did have a little blood spotting on my forehead but didn't know i had a very small cut on my right hand. I didn't find out till four hours latter.

love Terry

John14
17th November 2015, 19:12
Oh dear, I make that seven lives left Terry, after today and 10th November 2010, glad you're ok. John

Steve
17th November 2015, 19:20
Ouch! Hope you dont suffer too many after affects.

willsandco
17th November 2015, 19:40
Go easy, TC! Go quiet for a couple of days! Much love. Joycie. Xx

Barry52
17th November 2015, 19:51
Oh dear Terry. You also broke the second rule. We men must only do one thing at a time. Don't exercise and point at the same time lol.

Hope you're comfortable.

Love
Barry

mags55
17th November 2015, 19:55
Oh Terry,
Glad your ok, must have been a shock though.
We have to concentrate all the time, whatever we do.

Hope your head is ok. I fell back the other day and hit the back of my head, I had a headache for 3 days..

Mags xxx

Mags
17th November 2015, 20:05
Sorry about your fall Terry so glad you weren't badly hurt - get plenty rest Mary (mags)

Terry
17th November 2015, 20:24
Thanks all, don't worry the floor and the wall are OK;

I'm afraid that I might well have a head ache for a few days Mags, still so far I've not needed tablets. Plan to get drugged up tonight.

Love Terry

ccinjersey
17th November 2015, 20:52
You have 39 more days till Christmas Santa, your sled better be packed, and ready to go so get your head together and everything else.

Seriously Terry BECAREFUL you could have cracked your head open.

THANK GOD YOU’RE OK XOXOXO

Terry
19th November 2015, 18:48
Progress report after two days;

Head is ok, no more headaches. Left side shoulder, neck and a bit of arm is strained a little. Small bruise on my right hip.

I am wearing a collar some of the time and have been too the gym today, so think that I will be fine in a few days.

Love Terry

lorret
19th November 2015, 19:25
Take care Terry, if your busy Christmas eve we need you fit . Lorret

Sueb
19th November 2015, 21:31
Glad your feeling ok Terry,
You all have to a lot more careful. Steve has had a few falls, even though his legs are ok his arms don't work, 3 were his own fault for rushing and 1 were he got nudged by someone and couldn't stop himself from falling. Luckily just a few bumps and grazes.

Dude
20th November 2015, 09:00
Time for rollator Sue. 4 were his fault. i've done a dead cat bounce on my nose. Not very nice. Dude x

JAN Q
20th November 2015, 10:46
Hi Ellie, I have just started to use electric wheelchair round my flat as my ability to walk even with triwalker is now not safe for me,and like yourself I have found some independence again, my freedom has given me a boost mentally so I would have used it earlier if I had realised the benefits, nice to chat with you all and find information from people in the same position definitely helps, xx love Jan Q.

Terry
20th November 2015, 11:02
Hi Jan,

A four wheel walker can be safer if there is room and the floors are flat. Also putting weight into the walker like a gallon of water makes them a lot more stable.

It's better to be safe, so use your chair if neede.

Love Terry

JAN Q
20th November 2015, 11:26
Thanks Terry, think I have come to the stage where I feel safer in wheelchair as my weakness in legs is so bad I worry about falling, thanks for advice I take it all on board and find lots of useful tips,xxx love Jan Q.

Ellie
20th November 2015, 13:38
Hi Jan,

Yes, it's paradoxical, isn't it? Being dependent on a wheelchair gives us more independence :). But, for me, it gave me confidence knowing I couldn't fall and could be in whatever room I wanted. Unlike chubby Santa Claus, I don't bounce!!

Keep strong,
Love Ellie.

bakeit Forum