PDA

View Full Version : plates of meat

willsandco
10th March 2015, 15:21
Hello all. Does anyone else have really cold feet and toes? I have never suffered from it until this winter. I have fallen badly twice and bent my toes under my feet in the process so I don't know if it is anything to do with that or with circulation. My feet just get so freezing. Is it another by product of MND? Any comments appreciated. Love Joycie

TJ_ASG
10th March 2015, 15:24
I experience cold hands and feet. Down to inactivity I suspect.

willsandco
10th March 2015, 15:27
I don't know because I am still moving about, not as much but I still am up on my legs.

Trevorhb
10th March 2015, 15:29
I have always had cold feet and hands and have been told it is due to my slow heart beat. I would say now Joyce it is due to lack of activity, I have a rug around my legs when in my recliner and that helps. Really look like an old man now.

Steve
10th March 2015, 15:30
My feet are like blocks of ice. I'm told it is due to poor circulation. I wear thermal socks 24/7.

Jock
10th March 2015, 15:39
I'm Scots so my DNA does not allow me to suffer the cold. :) Seriously both feet are swollen, but this has seemingly insulated them from the cold. My hands are fine too, but people seem to find me warm blooded. I don't go out much and we have the heat on more often than not this being NW Wales.

Trevorhb
10th March 2015, 16:04
When you are inactive it is very important to raise your legs, otherwise your blood will pool in your feet causing swelling.

Davec
10th March 2015, 16:06
Sharyn s feet were like blocks of ice, like Steve thermal socks did the trick together with a pair of IKEA foot warmers, thanks to our Marie Curie Nicci!

willsandco
10th March 2015, 16:09
Oh, so there probably something in it all then! I will get some socks on then - have been borrowing Peters! I just wake up in the night, with all the bedclothes on, and my feet are frozen! Thanks all xx

willsandco
10th March 2015, 16:11
are you still happy with your recliner, Trevor? I am having to expend a lot of energy to get out of chairs these days and I will soon have to be looking at sourcing a chair. Seems like it is the way forward. Joycie x

Ellie
10th March 2015, 16:22
Joycie, I highly recommend Heat Holders brand, from Sports Direct or Amazon. Thermal socks with a TOG rating!
I wear them every night for toastie feet.
Love Ellie.

Ps, may the best team win this weekend!!!

TJ_ASG
10th March 2015, 16:36
MNDA has provided me with a loan rise/recline chair.

willsandco
10th March 2015, 16:37
Oh hello, Ellie. Lovely to hear from you! I will ask the lovely Peter to order in a couple of pairs from amazon. Yes, well, you know which the best team will be! Although on form I think the Irish team will probably wing it. Just watch this space though, we might just be in for a spot of welsh magic. Hope so. Will be thinking of you on Saturday xx

willsandco
10th March 2015, 16:42
Oh Tessa, have they? I have just emailed my OT so she can organise a measure up to ensure I get one that is fit for purpose. I will tell her that about MNDA when she comes back to me. Thanks so much for the heads up. (But I have got to be careful here on what matches! - when I moved into Peters when we were married I ditched all my old furniture and his home was like a gentlemen's club - all mahogany and chesterfield furniture) What colour is your chair? (How silly, wondering what colour will go - just shows MND doesn't take away your sense of humour!!) Love Joycie x

Jock
10th March 2015, 16:59
Joycie

Good to hear you are getting a recliner. The MNDA sorted one out for me with a firm in mid-Glamorgan. It's a two-motor model called Snowden. Sadly the remote requires replacing and the company complained that the MNDA were slow into action. Since last Thursday I have only been able to sit in it and not raise my kegs. Hopefully it will be repaired tomorrow, but I am less than impressed with the urgency showed by the MNDA.

willsandco
10th March 2015, 17:11
is it stylish, Jock? What colour is it? These things matter to a gal like me! x

Jock
10th March 2015, 17:21
See page three of the photos http://www.wilcarewales.com/product-range.aspx Mine is plain camel colour.

willsandco
10th March 2015, 17:26
Oh, thanks Jock, that would match our carpet and the décor Ha! Ha! x

Trevorhb
10th March 2015, 17:31
I bought my own recliner, so far have not had to ask MNDA for help. It is a twin motor model and what with my head drop could not mange without it. The cat and I are in it all the time. Can I add I tend to be impatient, if I want something I want it now. If you apply to the MNDA for anything there are forms to be completed and delays, I looked at some chairs one day, picked one and It was delivered the next day.

willsandco
10th March 2015, 19:16
Yes, we will probably do that but I am just asking the OT for advice. She is just super and she said right from the beginning, don't buy anything you have spoken to me. So just waiting for her input. I do have a lovely leather recliner chair that my late husband has but it doesn't have a rise function. So it is on the back burner for now! Hope you are feeling better today. Love Joycie x

Sueb
10th March 2015, 19:48
Steve gets cold feet but doesn't bother him, but he gets cold hands and wrists and this makes his wrists worse. We have tried different things round his wrists. In the end we cut a pair of socks down and he will wear those when he gets cold and if it gets bad he uses a hot water bottle to warm his hands up. I think it's all down to inactivity as the cold never used to bother him in fact he used moan about the heating being on, now he asks for it on.
We are still waiting for an OT to visit. Queens Medical sent the request to the wrong area so it was over two weeks before we heard anything and then we have to wait six weeks. She also had all the wrong info. It's a good job Steve isn't desperate for help yet.
Sue x

Jan
10th March 2015, 19:59
I am always cold, especially my legs, I generally get under the duvet for warmth and comfort

Nettie B
10th March 2015, 20:20
Don't worry about the colour if you have a cat! Chances are that if you are likely to be in your recliner for several hours a day your OT will suggest a type of mattress that will reduce the chance of pressure sores. Cats are good at puncturing the mattress with their claws so you need some sort of throw over it to give it more protection.
Trevor is mad about red deer. One of my daughters have him a blanket with deer on, the other gave him a cushion with a deer on. They've brightened up the recliner! In any case, it's mainly covered by Trevor who is very decorative when he smiles!

Springtime
10th March 2015, 20:42
Steve gets cold feet but doesn't bother him, but he gets cold hands and wrists and this makes his wrists worse. We have tried different things round his wrists. In the end we cut a pair of socks down and he will wear those when he gets cold and if it gets bad he uses a hot water bottle to warm his hands up. I think it's all down to inactivity as the cold never used to bother him in fact he used moan about the heating being on, now he asks for it on.
We are still waiting for an OT to visit. Queens Medical sent the request to the wrong area so it was over two weeks before we heard anything and then we have to wait six weeks. She also had all the wrong info. It's a good job Steve isn't desperate for help yet.
Sue x

My husband is the same he now needs the heating a on all the time. His hands are always cold and his feet are cold and blue but the don't seem to bother him.
I agree inactivity and also weight loss and hubby seems to be on another weight losing spurt.

Springtime

willsandco
10th March 2015, 21:06
Oh nettie, you do make me laugh! I will bear it all in mind. It all says something when I am actually considering rise/recline chair, doesn't it? Joycie x

Sueb
10th March 2015, 23:06
Steve hasn't lost any weight in fact since leaving work he's put weight on round his waist, but then he doesn't have any problems with eating yet. It's too many cakes and sweets and snacking all the time, which is boredom, and not being able to do enough exercise. Sue xx

Trevorhb
22nd March 2015, 14:14
We seemed to agree that we all suffer from cold feet, but in the night mine are the opposite, really hot, has anyone else noticed that?

boreham1
9th April 2015, 22:01
We seemed to agree that we all suffer from cold feet, but in the night mine are the opposite, really hot, has anyone else noticed that?

After a while in bed my feet become normal temperature and quite often too hot to the point i stick them out of the covers. but the swelling and the strange colour is still there in the morning? it seems to be just under my knees where the problems start, my legs are ice cold to the touch most of the time, during the day. I want to buy woollen socks size 9 that will cover my knees ? But without any circulation i doubt if they will warm up !

Terry
10th April 2015, 12:00
Hi there;

Can't help much but my shins and the sides discoloured a few years ago, they look a bit dark and as if they have been scorched. I have just had them checked and they recon the skins OK.

Don't know if you are walking etc. but you like me must have a bit of blood circulation. Because of our muscle wastage the valves in our return veins don't work much and we get a build up of fluid. Raising the legs and feet as much as possible is by far the best. You can ware the constrictive stockings but most people don't get on with them. Don't know if water tablets would help much as you might need loo more often and extra drugs is a worry. You can use crystals that will absorb some of the fluid through the skin but if your legs are not going down at night I would seek professional advice before trying most things.

If your legs are tense then the blood won't flow so well. You could try a massaging foot baths or one of the circulation boosters but I have not heard any first hand reports on these.

I think your feet and legs will warm if you have enough clothing, occasionally i use a hot bag and a blanket, I also have a 12 volt heated blanket that I use on my wheelchair if really cold and heated insoles in a pair of shoes. Maplin have sold heated soaks but run on batteries so might not be a long term thing.

Love Terry

Long socks that cover your knees might be hard to find but you might be able to get those really 80's things called leg warmers, I did have some but they have all gone now unfortunately.

boreham1
10th April 2015, 21:05
Apparently woman's wool tights ( large) possibly cut the top off (unless i like it lol) and leg warmer's on first thing in the morning for warmth They have changed my blood pressure meds last week from amlodopine to a water tablet but if i go to bed late enough i can sleep through. Colin

Freesia30
10th April 2015, 22:14
My Mum gets terrible cold feet and nothing we seem to do warms them up. ��

bakeit Forum