PDA

View Full Version : Cheap as chips Cremation.

Jock
25th March 2015, 09:38
I'm trying to tie down the cost of my death. I want a no frills cheap as chips Cremation. Any advice/recommendations are much appreciated.

PS: No Forum place for 'Dying with MND' only 'Life with MND'

Davec
25th March 2015, 10:15
Sharyn wanted a no fuss event!
Went to local funeral director paid for a cremation( £3000.00)
Collected her ashes, family gathered together for spreading of ashes and then went to a cafe!
In a couple of months time we will be having a gathering of friends for a memorial do.
She was a very private lady who did not like the fuss so she just wanted myself and the children there,
I did as she wanted!

Alpacas
25th March 2015, 10:25
I'm trying to tie down the cost of my death. I want a no frills cheap as chips Cremation. Any advice/recommendations are much appreciated.

PS: No Forum place for 'Dying with MND' only 'Life with MND'
Ask for "A minimum priced funeral". Unfortunately there are other costs that are set and mandatory.
I List herewith:
Doctors fees for signing medical certificate £100 approx.
Cremation fee. Varies in cost
Scattering ashes. Free if you don't have a casket and your relatives do it.
Ministers fee (You don't have to have one)
Other cost cutting methods:-
Have all service at Crematorium. The earlier the better since there is usually a discount before 09.30
Don't have flowers and don't have embalming. Meet at crematorium so don't have cars. Get the family to do the coffin bearing. If you have a suitable car there is nothing to stop you having the family take the coffin to crematorium.
If you don't want any kind of service there is nothing to stop you with the agreement of the crematorium, taking the coffin "Round the back" and direct to the furnace room. No need to book a time then.
Get the family to deal with all the paperwork and pay statutory fees direct themselves. (all in advance)

john
25th March 2015, 10:39
Jock,

If you want a no cost funeral my Mum managed to organise one for herself and it is something that appeals to me although I have not started the arrangement process.
She died in May 2002 so some time ago. She was a retired nurse and wanted her body to be used to advance medical knowledge. She spoke to her doctor about donating her body to medical research. He said she should contact a teaching hospital and she contacted the nearest for her(she lived in York) was Leeds. They agreed to accept her body on her death and sent a letter of confirmation which she told the family about and placed amongst her papers at home. On her death we contacted the hospital but unfortunately the person responsible for arranging body collection was on holiday and they had to say no. They said that there was a great need in the profession for bodies and they were sorry they could not help. They suggested I contact Sheffield which I did and within hours of Mum dying they had collected her body. We received a letter of thanks and said the body would be used as a teaching tool and after that buried or cremated in accordance with the families wishes. We arranged a memorial service in the same way as a funeral service would have been. This went ahead without a coffin. 18 months later the immediate family attended a cremation of Mum's remains(conducted by Cannon Ball - I kid you not).
I am not sure that such arrangements can still be made. Our only costs were to the church ,which were not significant and the funeral tea afterwards.
This may be a low cost option for you.

John

Trevorhb
25th March 2015, 10:54
I have a pre paid funeral plan and paid well under 4k. It includes church service, cremation, 2 cars, notice in 2 papers and all fees. Dave, yours sounds expensive for what you got.

Davec
25th March 2015, 11:32
Trevor I agree with you but I just wanted it sorted.
One thing I knew would happen, but had not planned for.

Jock
25th March 2015, 11:46
Paying £3-4K would leave t' wife skint so that's a non-runner in our case.

Alpacas: thank you for your pointers towards the fixed costs. John: I'm with your Mother, but t' wife finds turning the body over a wee too much. If there was an 18 month wait for the ashes it would add to her objections. Previously I looked into body donation, but Keele Uni was listed as the nearest place. What also raised an eyebrow was if the body was rejected there was a cost to the relatives.

Based on some price research this morning it appears as if dying at home incurs a pick up fee around £350 that does not apply if your corpse is at the morgue.

Candle
25th March 2015, 13:13
I don't have any experience of them but I noticed internet companies offer low cost cremations if you don't mind the drawbacks. There's no service for relatives and the cremation takes place at a time and venue to suit the company and crematorium. They advertise as under a thousand pounds but you'd need to know if there were extra such as the doctor's fee, removal of pacemakers, artificial hips, etc.

Terry
25th March 2015, 14:22
Hijack;

Much the same as my way of thinking but mine is not out of a real need. Could you get a coffin knocked up by someone else that meets the cerms requirements or save more money, change your religion and have a funeral pyre.

Please don't take any offence at these, LOL,

love Terry

john
25th March 2015, 17:38
Hi again Jock,

If you google economical funerals various sites come up. Here is one with £698 starting price

http://www.mayerfuneralhome.co.uk/low-cost-funeral-option/

John

Candle
25th March 2015, 19:16
Should have said earlier that it would be worth checking as your wife may be entitled to a one off bereavement payment of £2,000 tax free.

DaiTheDragon
25th March 2015, 21:36
My Mother was cremated recently and the no frills service was £3000. We had two vicars, human and wife who are friends so no charge. We put her ashes in the local church and the stone cost £300.
When I go I think my wife will get £2000 towRds the funeral.
David

john
26th March 2015, 01:33
The bereavement payment is paid if the person dying has paid National Insurance Contributions and neither you nor they are claiming retirement pension. You are entitlement to claim provided you are married or have entered into a civil partnership.

John

Jock
26th March 2015, 07:27
Thank you everyone.

As with John's link there are a few starters for around £500-700, but it's those 'fixed' costs that can easily send the bill over a K without a pint and pork pie in sight. I've personally been aware of the bereavement payment for some time - it played a part in our decision to marry last Sept. As it stands as I got MND rather early we qualify as long as I die within six years. I'm of the view though that the payment be for my wife's needs and not my Cremation. So the plan now is to save sufficient PIP/ESA funds to cover the cremation and hope I live at least long enough to do that.

Spring PMed me and I have encouraged her to to post here as this issue of the cost of death must weigh on plenty of us.

Among other things I'm a Humanist and Green, but their ceremonies do not necessarily come cheap.

One donation avenue I'm still keen to follow up on is spine/brain tissues for MND research, but sadly not if it increases the financial cost of my death.

I'd follow up here on anything I learn.

Springtime
26th March 2015, 10:22
Thank you everyone.

As with John's link there are a few starters for around £500-700, but it's those 'fixed' costs that can easily send the bill over a K without a pint and pork pie in sight. I've personally been aware of the bereavement payment for some time - it played a part in our decision to marry last Sept. As it stands as I got MND rather early we qualify as long as I die within six years. I'm of the view though that the payment be for my wife's needs and not my Cremation. So the plan now is to save sufficient PIP/ESA funds to cover the cremation and hope I live at least long enough to do that.

Spring PMed me and I have encouraged her to to post here as this issue of the cost of death must weigh on plenty of us.

Among other things I'm a Humanist and Green, but their ceremonies do not necessarily come cheap.

One donation avenue I'm still keen to follow up on is spine/brain tissues for MND research, but sadly not if it increases the financial cost of my death.

I'd follow up here on anything I learn.

What I suggested to Jock as a possibility, was originally advice posted by Terry.

I have taken out an over 50s plan, there are no medical checks and it is all "above board" in our case if you were to die within 12 months you receive back what you have paid iin. after then you receive lump sum insured.Be aware as some plans you have to live for 2 years before they pay out the lump sum insured)

It will hopefully cover your funeral costs with a little left over. With these plans you also have the option of having it as a funeral plan instead of life cover, we chose not to as it then ties you in our opinion.
my husband is 75 yrs and we pay £30 monthly for £3000 life cover. If you are younger then obviously the cover wil be a larger amount.

Hope this helps, and again thank you to Terry for pointing this out last year.

springtime

miranda
26th March 2015, 14:50
MND Connect will advise on process if you wish to leave body/brain/spinal cord for research - there are a few forms to fill in and, most importantly, nearest and dearest need to know as arrangements need to be made immediately after death.

Ellie
26th March 2015, 15:03
There is a charge associated with transport of the body for tissue donation in the UK.

john
26th March 2015, 15:26
No body charged us to transport Mum from York to Sheffield.

John

Ellie
26th March 2015, 15:40
From the main website:

Making the decision to donate your brain and spinal cord tissue for MNDresearch is not an easy one. There are many questions that may concernyou and your relatives that need careful consideration.How much does it cost?For some tissue banks listed on this information sheet, there are no costsinvolved in tissue donation. Unfortunately, for other tissue banks no funding isavailable for the transport of the donor to the tissue bank where the donationoccurs.At these tissue banks, the family of the donor are asked to pay the transportcosts, although there may be local charities that can provide some financialassistance. The costs involved can vary according to the distance to the centre,and the funeral director transporting the body. Typical figures may range from£40 - £300+.

john
26th March 2015, 17:40
Sorry Elle. I was at cross purposes. I was talking about body donation, not organ donation.

John

Jock
27th March 2015, 09:33
I rather fear that living in NW Wales and with my nearest Brain Bank being in Salford I'd might be subject to charge. I'd get in touch with Area MNDA Rep Kevin Thomas to see if there have been any other recent donation cases in our area. If you live up in Newcastle the MND Centre pay all the donation costs - good for them.

I've been on the Organ donation list for yonks now. I read in the link below that if you (a MND sufferer) die in an accident they will still accept certain organs, but not if you die at home or in a hospice.

http://www.mndassociation.org/Resources/MNDA/Research/Documents/I%20-%20Tissue%20donation%20-March2014.pdf

bakeit Forum