PDA

View Full Version : Unscheduled Hospital Stay

Barry52
21st May 2015, 21:51
Hi all,

Terry asked in a post entitled faciculations and cramps if I was ok. I reply under this category so I don't encourage another argument about banter.
I am currently in hospital where I was taken after a bad fall last Friday. I have 6 fractured ribs, each one with 2 fractures. I am pain free which means the epidural is working. I am hoping to be discharged middle of next week and spend some time thereafter, recuperating with my daughter. My wife has broken her leg and is recouperating with her daughter. What's that saying about rain and more rain?
As you might guess I am spending a lot of the boring daytime hours on the iPad so keep posting your messages.

Love and best wishes to all.
Barry

Candle
21st May 2015, 22:24
Ouch. Sorry you're in hospital. Hope the recovery is speedy and you and your wife get home soon.

Terry
21st May 2015, 22:26
Crikey Barry;

I bruised that area a couple of times in the past and found it hard to move and breath. When did your wife brake her leg?

It is raining very hard up there. I wish you both a speedy recovery. Pleased to hear that at least you are not in pain.

It is boring in hospital so maybe you can get a hobby by learning to play chess or something like.

I won't send hugs, Love Terry

willsandco
21st May 2015, 23:07
No,Terry, neither will I send hugs either (just adds insult to injury!) Barry, I am so glad you have posted this - I wanted to explain to everyone that you were hospitalised but didn't think it was my place to do that. Get a chuff chart by your bed, just days to do now and you will soon be out and with your daughter. Falls just happen, quite unexpectedly, don't they? I watch what I am doing all the time but I wobble and stagger around. You just stay as still as you can, be as well behaved as you can - and don't even think about chasing the nurses! Much love from me and Peter - and Hadi, the spaniel Joycie xx

ccinjersey
22nd May 2015, 01:09
Hi Barry

Sorry to hear of your fall and injuries and wish you a speedy recovery, and your wife as well.

Much Love
CC oxoxox

BlueEyesOhio
22nd May 2015, 04:26
Joycie,
Over here we always say staggering and wobbling are caused by other things. I always heard weebles wobble but they don't fall down. Uh, oh am I in the right thread?

Love and gentle hugs to you Barry!

Lynne

willsandco
22nd May 2015, 05:29
Lynne, Barry and I know only too well theat we weebles wobble and we do fall down! Ha! Ha! Much love. Joycie x

marieline
22nd May 2015, 06:21
Sorry to hear about your fall Barry. I had my share of bruised ribs and you are coping fantastically well with so many fractures. Wishing you a very quick recovery. Best wishes
Marieline

Springtime
22nd May 2015, 08:56
Hello Barry,
Oh Gosh! You and your wife are both going through it aren't you. So sorry to hear of your fall, onwards and upwards Barry. And gentle hugs to you both. X

pete
22nd May 2015, 11:53
Hi all,

Terry asked in a post entitled faciculations and cramps if I was ok. I reply under this category so I don't encourage another argument about banter.
I am currently in hospital where I was taken after a bad fall last Friday. I have 6 fractured ribs, each one with 2 fractures. I am pain free which means the epidural is working. I am hoping to be discharged middle of next week and spend some time thereafter, recuperating with my daughter. My wife has broken her leg and is recouperating with her daughter. What's that saying about rain and more rain?
As you might guess I am spending a lot of the boring daytime hours on the iPad so keep posting your messages.

Love and best wishes to all.
Barry

Hi Barry,
Just read your post matey, sorry to hear about your tumble, you don't do things by half do you, hope you and the wife both heal quickly ,the ribs I know from experience take time so rest up and get well soon. Just to add its 82degs today and clear blue skies !!!.

Pete

miranda
22nd May 2015, 12:34
Barry - that sounds horrendous. Cracked ribs are not a bundle of laughs - make sure you take all the pin relief on offer. Hope all goes ell with your, and your wife's, recovery.

willsandco
22nd May 2015, 13:33
Well, Pete, you certainly know how to rub it in! Hope you are all having a very special time!

Now, Mr Barry52, how are you today? You will have a facility on iPad to download books, won't you? So you won't be bored. If you like cards, I have a website programme which lets me play whist, rummy, solitaire, and so on. It keeps me entertained when Peter has got his films on!

Our love to sue when you see her. Oh, by the way, I know it is only May but have you both decided whether or not to go to AGM at East midlands airport. We are booked in, hotel as well. It would be lovely to see you both. ...as long as they don't have barbecued ribs on the menu! Ha! Ha!

You are in our thoughts and prayers. Much love. Joycie and Peter. Xx

Ellie
22nd May 2015, 13:50
Greetings Barry,
Hope you are being well looked after in hospital. I am so glad we live in the Digital Age, can't imagine what you would do without your Ipad!
Get well soon, both of you.
Ellie x

Barry52
22nd May 2015, 18:08
Thanks for the all the good wishes forumites.

Terry, I played chess as a schoolboy but no recent practice.
Joycie, I normally attend the conferences but we are away in September (barring accidents).
Pete, I envy you. We should have been in Portugal on a river cruise 2 weeks ago. Sue broke her leg, cancelled. We had a week in Edinburgh planned this week. I broke some ribs, cancelled. We are due in Italy in 2 weeks, cancelled on doctors orders. I am begging to think annual insurance was a waste of money in 2015. I don't suppose they pay out on multiple claims. Oh well that's what you get when planning bucket lists.
Ellie, my iPad is my lifeline and we are so fortunate to have access to these communication aids.

Love and hugs to all. I may not be able to receive but I can give.
Barry

Pam S
22nd May 2015, 18:55
Oh Barry you don't do things by halves, I am so sorry to hear of your fall and your wife's, I hope you are now pain free totally. It's no fun especially when you cough. Thinking if you and wishing you and your wife well. Love Pam S xx

Barry52
23rd May 2015, 21:38
Being discharged tomorrow complete with walking frame, crutches and 1 weeks worth of meds. Not being allowed to drive for 6 weeks is frustrating. Hey ho, only the next step on this journey, living with MND.

I hope everyone is experiencing a positive something today.

Barry

willsandco
23rd May 2015, 22:03
Gosh, that is quick, Barry. Just take it easy now. It will be good to be out of hospital and chilling at your daughters. Never mind about the driving - just concentrate on getting back to normal again! Much love from Peter and me xx

Terry
6th June 2015, 19:38
Hi Barry;

Just wondering if you can breath now without pain and how your wife is getting on.

Love Terry

Pam S
6th June 2015, 23:01
That's good news Barry I hope you and your wife are pain free, it will be nice having your daughter to boss you about and keep you in order !
Sending love for a speedy recovery to you both Pam xx

Barry52
8th June 2015, 00:13
Hi Terry and all.
I'm Getting stronger each day and I have stopped the liquid morpheme as I don't want to be dependent although the GP said carry on with the slow release and two other pain killers.
I am walking with my stick outdoors each day and have a new rollator for use indoors which helps when preparing food. Sue has had her cast removed but needs a crutch to walk until her leg strengthens. We cancelled a holiday to Italy but have rebooked for July as I am determined to get better by then. What I have realised is that every time this damned disease causes injury we never get back to how we were prior, so we have to move forward from a weaker position, but forward we must move.
Thanks for all the good wishes and please stay safe everyone.
Barry

Ellie
8th June 2015, 15:45
Take heed of Barry's advice: don't fall! :)

bakeit Forum