PDA

View Full Version : managing meals

lorret
31st May 2015, 13:47
I have a problem, how do you manage meals. Tom is now having to watch what is eating. I was just chopping cabbage when i realized I will start having to do meals differently to the rest of the family.how do others cope with this .Lorret

Dude
31st May 2015, 14:17
Hi Lorret When I started having difficulty swallowing I decided, on the advice of my dietician, to go 100% Ensure shakes. I could have persevered with the blitzing and swallowing problems, but I'm glad I changed to Ensure. I have 5 a day which gives me all the vitamins and minerals I need. My weight has been stable @ 84kg for a year. Read more and you & Tom decide which way to go. Dude.

willsandco
31st May 2015, 14:56
we just cook normally for everyone here at the time and peter puts mine in a big bowl and hand blends it. It works for us. Easy peasy. I enjoy it and am getting all the nutrients. Then we have icecream and usually fresh fruit and that goes into a bowl with oodles of double cream and that gets blended We eat really well here and I have absolutely the same meals as Peter and the family. Hope this helps. (My weight is staying stable too) Much love Joycie xx

Terry
31st May 2015, 15:08
I cope quite well with most things but do like a thickish hot sauce to help things slide down.

Love Terry

lorret
31st May 2015, 15:09
Thanks joycie , I had a bit of a panic . Was wondering how to cook a normal meal then serve Tom something completely different . It is a horrible thought to eat normally when he cannot , do you not mind ?
Thanks Terry the guilt is really piling up at the moment.

Dude
31st May 2015, 15:19
Hi Lorret
I chose Ensure drinks because I can pick drinks up using both my hands together. I didn't want spoon feeding.
I live alone and so can choose if I want to drink my brew, Ensure or squash when the carers have left. You have
to do what is best for you.
Take care
Dude

Candle
31st May 2015, 15:35
Mum started with thickened fluids and fork mashable food (usually with plenty of gravy or similar). Even when she could no longer feed herself she managed for quite a while like this. Once this caused more problems than enjoyment the dietician sorted an NG tube and then she was fed through this. She still had thickened drinks but her enjoyment of these was limited.

willsandco
31st May 2015, 15:36
I don't have a problem with it. Peter is a very fast eater and I like to just take my time these days, helped or hindered by the presence of a cloth and/or copious tissues. So he eats his at the table in the breakfast room and I sit in the lounge with a tray and watch TV! Naughty, I know but it has three distinct advantages: I can be as messy as I like, I can take as much time as I want and I can choose my own channels!! Sorted! As Dude quite rightly says, you have to do what is best for you! Much love Joycie xx

Ellie
31st May 2015, 15:58
Hi Lorret,
I eat a finely chopped version of what the family is having. My swallow is good but chewing is difficult because my tongue is weak, so doesn’t move the food around too well, hence the chopping.
I eat one main meal per day and a peg feed. I get the calories and nutrients as recommended by my Dietitian. Hubby works full time and children are in school, so that works for us.
Ellie.

lorret
31st May 2015, 16:32
Your advice is reassuring and I will start keeping a journal to look at when things change. Is there any way to store these threads that are helpful? I'm ok with basic technology . Lorret

Candle
31st May 2015, 16:40
I'd cut and paste anything I wanted to keep into a word document if I was worried the search facility wouldn't help me.

Ellie
31st May 2015, 16:42
In your own profile, under the photo, you can "Find latest started threads" or use the Search function.

You can also Subscribe to a thread, using Thread Tools, which is a pull-down menu at the top of a thread.

lorret
31st May 2015, 17:36
Thank you ,will give those a try..

bakeit Forum