PDA

View Full Version : Two Handle Mug

Cath51
25th July 2011, 10:09
Don't know if of any use to anyone but whilst browsing I came across this website www.recklessdesigns.com/mugs/ who do a range of ceramic mugs with two handles which may be helpful for those with problems holding a conventional mug or cup. I am going to order one for Mic as he struggles with his current one.

jadedjohn
25th July 2011, 16:32
Good ideathanks for posting this - expensive though!! Mind you, isn't everything disability related,
john

Cath51
26th July 2011, 09:57
Way of the world John, manufacturers know you have a need for such items and price them as high as they think they can get away with! I will be buying one anyway as the OT gave him the adult equivalent of a Tommee Tippee which isn't very dignified and he hates drinking anything out of plastic (except the G&T on the plane of course) :-))

Cath51
1st August 2011, 10:59
Well the mug turned up on Saturday morning so the lunchtime coffee after the supermarket run was duly served up in this surprise (I hadn't told him I had ordered it) which he enjoyed when he had stopped laughing, made up with it now he just wants a pint glass in the same format but I have not had any luck finding one of these.

Chris
1st August 2011, 11:46
Good stuff :-) if you do find a pint glass let me no!

Robyn Copley-Hirst
1st August 2011, 14:20
I read this thread and remembered that I'd seen lots of beer tankards/stein's (?) a while back online myself. Although they are not usually made of glass they are traditional drinking tankards for cider/beer etc.

It might not be the modern pint glass he's after, but it might be somethign worth looking at. You can google double handled stein/tankard/beer mug or two handle beer mug etc and find many retailers, I've picked one out for you to have a look at below:

http://www.cidermugs.co.uk/categories/Two-Handled-Mugs/

Double handed beer glasses tend to either be trophies like this (http://www.bofw.co.uk/acatalog/Simple_gifts_and_plain_engraved_crystal_drams_tots _engraved_gift_ideas.html)nowadays (I can't find the glass size on the site but the others look like drinking sizes) or otherwise they're quite rare antiques or collectables but you can sometimes be lucky and find one on ebay

I'm not an expert on drinking tankards! I had to buy one as a present once so I hope this info helps someone.

Best Wishes,

Robyn

SGD
1st August 2011, 15:19
Think Carl Venner, an inventor, has looked at cups and tankards - might be worth a google
Steve

SGD
1st August 2011, 15:23
Sorry, having a scatty day, it's Earl Venner
Sorry
Steve

luce
6th August 2011, 12:24
Hi all

My mum has a couple of two handled mugs that we bought from a shop in Totnes for 5, however, yesterday we saw that they were only 1.50 each. The company is Rice of Denmark and the product is advertised as a two handled cup for baby- but it is big enough to hold a cup of coffee etc. They are very light, if someone wants me to weigh it then let me know. Anyway, I asked and the shop can do P and P at 3.50. They have two outlets in Totnes, Gazeebo and Hullabaloo. It was the Hullabaloo shop in Totnes that had lots of the mugs for sale.

Their web site is
http://www.whatalovelyshop.co.uk/gazebo-totnes.asp

However, i did not see the cup on line, just in the shop. But you can view the cup on another site i found

http://www.thepodcompany.co.uk/living/kitchenware/rice_melamine_homewares/rice_baby_melamine_cup_with_two_handles_-_pink.htm

PS- mum did start with porcelain two handled mugs but they are heavy, this was the lightest we have found.

Lucy

Robyn Copley-Hirst
9th August 2011, 15:21
Sorry, having a scatty day, it's Earl Venner
Sorry
Steve

Hi Everyone (and Steve),

Earl Venner was supported by the MND Association and you're right, he worked with potter Kate Radford to produce a range of hand made two-handled cups called Stedi-Up Cups. He retired after a diagnosis of bulbar palsy and launched himself into other opportunities.

You can read the whole interview with Earl in the Thumbprint from Spring 2010... click here (http://www.mndassociation.org/search_clicks.rm?id=1910&destinationtype=2&instanceid=239341)

The story is on page 16 with details on how to contact Earl and also information on what products he launched and his motivation for inventing. There is a link to our shop on the main website but it looks as though we're having a few technical problems over in the shop at the moment.

Well remembered, Steve!

recklessdesigns
10th November 2012, 18:34
I would like to introduce myself. I am Kevin and I own Reckless Designs, a pottery . I noticed members comments about my double handle mugs. I totally accept the fact that the mugs are expensive . I would however like to attempt to justify the cost. Firstly I hand make the mug cylinder then attach two handles all by hand I then have to leave them 24 hours to dry then hand paint the designs from any of over 500 different designs giving the user total access to my complete catalogue, the piece then goes into a kiln with other items of course it is then fired to 1000 degrees C then it comes out next day when it is dipped in a transparent glaze and fired in the kiln again , this second firing is to 1145 degrees C then it is wrapped boxed carried to the post office and posted to customer. postage can be often 2.60 to 5. 40 so I hope you will not judge me too harshly as a manufacturer who loads the price as high as possible. Though I understand your comments I hope you can now see how much work goes into making these mugs. I offer the largest selection of designs for double handle mugs anywhere. Many thanks for reading. Best Regards Kevin.

berdbrain
10th November 2012, 23:54
can you transfer that skill to making two handled pint glasses?
that was said in jest, butyou never know....we could call your mugs bespoke, and I am sure you do need to cover your costs and your artistic designs.
good luck to you, I hope your business does well
Debbie

pete
11th November 2012, 11:52
Hi Kevin,

having worked in the potteries area for many years, I know only to well the work that goes into making your products, so I wanted to wish you the very best and long may you carry on

Pete

recklessdesigns
12th November 2012, 10:18
Hello Debbie and Pete and thanks for the nice feedback. Sadly the glass process is vastly different from ceramics, but I will keep my eyes open for a two handled glass. Happy Days .
Regards Kevin Reckless

Cath51
14th November 2012, 14:44
Hi Kevin
Mic is still using his mug on a daily basis, liked the fact that is was plain green not a girly floral design like most of the ones available. Never had any luck with the two handled glass but when I take him to the pub he has a pair of the fingerless grip gloves (available from a shop near you) on to help prevent him dropping his precious bitter :D Cath

recklessdesigns
16th November 2012, 13:50
Hello Cath
I am pleased to hear Mic is getting good service from his mug , also nice to hear he enjoys a pint .
Best Regards
Kevin

bakeit Forum