PDA

View Full Version : Whingeing farmers - Are they milking it.

Dude
17th October 2015, 19:06
I'm getting fed up with people who inherit a farm with a few sheep and a couple of dogs and a Mitsubishi pick up and Ifor Williams livestock trailer and think they are farmers. Why don't they gerra job like normal people. Fumin' Dude.

Steve
17th October 2015, 19:21
you on the wind up dude?

Dude
17th October 2015, 19:22
No Steve, I'm really not. Scouts honour.

willsandco
17th October 2015, 20:33
My Somerset family are fifth generation farmers and they work really hard. Dairy herds and just getting by. There is no profit for dairy farmers these days. They are all diversifying. It is all a travesty. Love. Joycie

Dude
18th October 2015, 08:24
Yes Joycie, I have no beef with passing down any business , providing the new generation grows the business and adapts to market forces. Diversification is really the only answer. A guy in the sixties would make a living selling hula-hoops but now he may have 'frozen' dolls and dresses on his stall. The homemaker will not pay 40p more for a chicken if it's free range.Families have mortgages, gas, leccy, water, council tax, clothes, etc etc to pay for. They are not gonna pay 50p more for a leg of lamb. Going back 5 generations there was no container ships or refrigeration. The cost of shipping a lamb from NZ is probably 10p and it tastes the same. If dairy herds are breaking even it's time to pack in and get some glamping pods and cabins sorted. Log cabin holiday in Somerset , I'm in. You can have concrete cows like in MK. Time for Ensure. Dude xxxx

Barry52
18th October 2015, 09:57
Dude,

This country in my life time has lost ship building, coal mining, steel making, rail networks, clothing manufacturing and the list goes on. Are you now suggesting we give up farming as well?

Food and clothes have not kept pace with inflation and the consumer and retailers are the only benefactors, not the producers. Joycie makes a valid point and since I entered the food industry 40 years ago the dairy farmers in the UK are 80% fewer . It is impractical to import liquid milk and I for one love my porridge in the morning (with coconut oil) and don't want to reconstitute imported milk powder. Let's give the farmers a break and pay a fair price for milk and I am referring to consumers and retailers.

Thanks Dude for introducing an interesting debate on a dull Sunday.

Best wishes
Barry

lorret
18th October 2015, 10:07
Wow who got dude a soap box.we have our own chickens , cockeral up at 6 am now it's not getting light early in the morning. We have milk from milkman.
I would hate to see our country turn into a concrete island.

Dude
18th October 2015, 10:49
Morning Barry I know, we have lost lots of high workforce companies through mechanisation and buying ships and steel from other countries, but unfortunately it's economics and government stupidity. The UK played by the 'rules' why other countries heavily subsidise their heavy industries. Coal should be left in the earth with gas and renewable energy sources pursued vigourously. Make all wind turbines, tidal turbines, those Greek turbines and solar panels in our great country. If we used a fraction of our overseas aid budget we could be 100% renewable within 25 years. What a legacy for future generations. I do care about kids starving to death and drinking dirty water but I've not seen any child limit programmes or documentaries on water supplies so I'll assume most of the money is spent on high salaries for the non-profit organisation management. I like cows, chickens and sheep. No, keep farms but add value in many ways..
Remember Nestles & Fussels milk. Gran used to get sterilised milk and add water to go further on cornflakes. When I were a lad.com, next sunday we will have junior doctors who carry placards saying 'Tired doctors make mistakes', just because they are having to work weekends. Morons. Reverend Dude Love to all. May you have a pleasant day. xo

Dude
18th October 2015, 11:11
It's a milk crate actually Lorret . We have chickens, bottom freezer draw. No way, you still have milkman , Get down Lidl, it's free. Do you buy the dearest fuel for your car. Now you're being silly, just concrete Scotland, which reminds me. How is extension progressing. Dude xo

John14
18th October 2015, 12:17
Morning Dude,

Most mornings I log on to see what's new and there are usually 2 or 3 contributions from yourself but your recent post, and yes I know this is from yesterday, I found amusing. Living as I do in the Smoke* I don't have strong views on farming, my involvement is limited to the Archers omnibus edition on Sunday morning. I did used to have an allotment, does that count? I had to give that up when the digging became impossible, I was very sad to see it go as I think that we did all like to connect with nature. There was a piece on Channel 4 news the other day about the steel industry, I worked for a year at the Special Steel Works at Stocksbridge north of Sheffield where I worked in the rolling mill, they are still turning out mainly stainless steel but for how much longer you may ask?

John :-)

* I'm from Birmingham my grandad designed cars for Austin Motors 1905-1941,

lorret
18th October 2015, 13:00
We also have a log burner, fun getting it going but we'll worth it

Dude
18th October 2015, 13:35
Hi John Allotment are fine as are Lorrets chickens. I feel really Sorry for the steelworkers, especially for Redcar but that's what happens when companies are headquartered and owned by other countries. I guess Nissan are the exception. I remember delivering timber to a place in Sheffied and as I climbed on top of the load to handball it off I happened to look through a 4 ft space between the roof and wall which was emitting a lot of heat and I was amazed to see a load of guys,no shirts on, handling long lengths of red hot steel on rollers with 5ft long tongs. I was mesmerised by their 'dancing'. I loved delivering to Brumigham, free breakfasts in the heavy factories. You must be proud of Grandad, but didn't we invent most things on this planet. Argentina are winning. Dude.

Dude
18th October 2015, 13:37
I've got a 45 gallon drum with holes in.

Freesia30
19th October 2015, 17:17
It's hard to comment with any sense on a subject unless you have proper experience of the situation.
We are living the difficulties facing farmers that many people seem to mock. Try diversifying your farm to actually earn a profit when your Wife has MND. Try slogging your guts out milking cowes to sell your milk for less than it has cost to feed the cow to keep it alive. Try working so hard and stressing that much that you have a heart attack and spend a week in hospital. Try having so much determination in your life that you refuse to give up, refuse to give up. Try not knowing what else to do with your life other than farm, as this is all you have known. Try looking at the alternatives to find they need a set-up cost and you dont have the money or energy. This is what my lovely Dad does everyday.
Farming is not a job, its a livelihood! It's my Dad's life. Without farming, my Dad wouldn't be my Dad.
Everyone's situation is unique and should never be judged!

We thought it bad enough that Dad was going through this and then Mum was diagnosed with MND. Every professional we speak to thinks it's easy for Dad to give up the farm and spend more time caring for Mum. No-one understands that he is trying to keep the things he has spent so long building over his own life. No-one understands he is trying to keep a roof over his head.

So next time you want to comment on something that you have little experience in... please put your feet in someone's elses shoes and think how it may be for them because I've learnt many times that what might be a throw-away comment and unthought out point of view to you may be extremely hurtful and insensitive to someone else.

Freesia x

John14
19th October 2015, 18:12
Dear Fressia,

Very heartfelt comments and I entirely accept what you are saying and I feel for you and your parents it must be very difficult. I have MND myself and but I'm retired on a decent pension so don't have the additional worries of earning a living. In fairness Dude addressed his comments to wannabe farmers not farmers per se.

Sometimes it is good for someone to air comments that are not directly connected to the details of our suffering and making them in a Jeremy Clarkeson sort of way makes them more fun and I'm pretty sure that no offence was intended. I entirely understand what you are saying and I wish you and your family all the best and I'm really sorry if we have caused you unnecessary heartache.

John x

Dude
19th October 2015, 18:35
Hi Freesia I hope you believe me when I say I am very very sorry for attacking a business your Dad is involved in. I understand your Dads' passion as I saw my father work his tripe out to build a garage up only to go bust due to no fault of his own. People owed him money and took the Mick out of a Gentleman. My older brother had to borrow money to bury Dad at 58, who died of heart attack aka broken heart. He was working on a neighbours car on the council estate where he lived when he died and I can still remember walking down the avenue to collect his tools from off the job. I do understand the hurt I caused and now regret writing it. The worst part for your family is having mnd to contend with. My post used farmers but it could be used for ALL businesses.
Please accept my hearfelt apology.
Love to all.
Dude aka Village idiot.com xxx

Freesia30
19th October 2015, 18:50
Hi, I accept your apologies. I am sorry too, I hadnt realised how stressed I was until just. I seem to take everything as a personal attack recently so I am sorry you were on the receiving end of it. I understand you obviously didnt intend to offend me or anyone else.
I should remember that life is too short to get so wound up about silly things.
Just having a good cry now and feeling like an idiot. Ill get it out of my system and then Ill be fine.
Freesia x

Dude
19th October 2015, 19:15
Lol, if you'd put an 'n' on freesia I would have suspected but that may have brought some unkind comments. The only farming knowledge I have is spud & pea picking with mum & gran (hard slog) and my youngest daughter went to Reaseheath college for 3 years and I picked her up every friday and run her back sunday after my mrs had done her washing. We went every open day to watch her leading a cow around . They have a lovely herd of Holsteins there. Most of the friends she met there are sons and daughters of farmers from Eire where she goes several times a year with her husband, who went to Reaseheath but is not in farming.. Time for bed now . Give mum & dad my love. Dude. xxx

bakeit Forum